Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I am going to be taking part in the Plymouth - Dakar Challenge in December and have myself a left hand drive 1995, 1.4 205 for the journey

Now I have a couple of questions here.

Would my 1990 peugeot 205 have power sterring as the steering seems quite hard for a little car?

How can I tell if my thermostat is working and whereabouts is it? as no matter how much I drive it I cant seem to get the fan to come on. I drove it for three hours last week and the fan never came on at all. Well obvoisly I couldnt tell while I was driving but when I stopped and checked I couldnt hear or see the fan working.

The car has not overheated though!

Cheers folks for any advice

G

·
1) Probably no PAS.

2) 2 ways to check the therostat - if your cabin heater blows warm air witin a reasonable period of time, then it's likely ok. You can take it out and check it by immersing it in boiling water and watching it operate, but by the time you've removed it you might as well whack in a new one.

3) Could be many things, including kacked fans themselves. Run some wires from the fan direct to the battery and see if the fan works. If so, it's worth wiring in the fans with a relay to aswitch in the cabin so you can work them manually 9which is goodin hot climes) and also overcome the risk of elderly 205 fan wiring or temp senders failing on you in the arse end of nowhere.

Last long distance event I did was Manchester to Venice way back when, but I cheated by using a (then) new Kawazaki GPz750 Turbo. Guess who won...?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that but im a bit confused

chopper1192 said:
1) Probably no PAS.

2) 2 ways to check the therostat - if your cabin heater blows warm air witin a reasonable period of time, then it's likely ok. You can take it out and check it by immersing it in boiling water and watching it operate, but by the time you've removed it you might as well whack in a new one.

3) Could be many things, including kacked fans themselves. Run some wires from the fan direct to the battery and see if the fan works. If so, it's worth wiring in the fans with a relay to aswitch in the cabin so you can work them manually 9which is goodin hot climes) and also overcome the risk of elderly 205 fan wiring or temp senders failing on you in the arse end of nowhere.

Last long distance event I did was Manchester to Venice way back when, but I cheated by using a (then) new Kawazaki GPz750 Turbo. Guess who won...?
1.Why would my cabin heater blowing hot air have anything to do with the thermostat? as I thought that the heater just chanelling hot aire from the engine.

2. I was going to wire in an aux fan as there is room on the right-hand side of the radiator, but why would I wire it with a relay?. Is this just so it wont come on unless the engine is running?

3. You mention that it is best to wire them manually in hot climes, why is this as it would be difficult for me to know how hot the engine is getting. I only have a temp warning light, rather than a guage.

All in all thought thats some great information

Many thanks indeed:lol:

G

·
The fans generally wont come on as you are driving around, because cold air is being pushed through your radiator, hence cooling the engine!

The thermostat opens/closes depending on temp, if you have one that is dead and stuck open then the coolant is flowing around the entire system, including through the radiator, this prevents it from heating up much

A properly working thermostat will only open up like this when the coolant around the engine gets too hot, as it cools it will close again, the cooling system is effectivle split into 2 sections with the therm being the only gap between them! :thumb:

P.S if you want to know about PAS look for a fluid reservoir underbonnet!

G

·
albertramsbottom said:
1.Why would my cabin heater blowing hot air have anything to do with the thermostat? as I thought that the heater just chanelling hot aire from the engine.

2. I was going to wire in an aux fan as there is room on the right-hand side of the radiator, but why would I wire it with a relay?. Is this just so it wont come on unless the engine is running?

3. You mention that it is best to wire them manually in hot climes, why is this as it would be difficult for me to know how hot the engine is getting. I only have a temp warning light, rather than a guage.

All in all thought thats some great information

Many thanks indeed:lol:
1) Because when thermostats fail they usually fail in the wide open position, so your coolant is circulating right from the word go and takes forever to heat up, if at all. Remember, it was you that asked how to test the thermostat, no me recommending it.

In your case, if the coolant isn't getting hot then the fans may well not activate. or the sensors could be Donald. Or the relays could be dead. Or the woring could be decaying. Or the fans themselves could be deceased. Or all of the above.

2) On a 'rally' on an old car I'd advise against the complication of fitting a fan activated by a thermoswitch - if it packs up halfway across the desert to West Bumferk then you've got no chance of fixing it. Run it off a switch in the cabin, but wire it to a relay so you're not taking high amperage current into the cabin. If this packs up you can usually improvise shorting past a switch or across a relay, but substituting a dufunct thermo switch can be trickier.

You want a decent coolant temp meter, and digital set ups can be had cheaply. In sub-saharan temperatures I'd be running the fan continuously below 30mph or so.

Dare I risk saying it, but you might want to think carefully about risking your life in what can be a dangerous climate, and an area where bandits and rogue militia roam unchecked, in an elderly car if your mechanical skills aren't A1+. These are fairly simple mechanical/electrical problems and we won't be there to help when it goes pop.

Then there's all the other life saving prep, such as taping spare throttle/clutch cables alongside the originals so they can be swapped in moments, flushing the cooling system and refilling with neat water when you hit the African continent so if all else fails you could drink it in an emergency, FAST AID 1st aid skills levels etc. Having done Africa several times on motorbikes, including one complete length of the continent, I can't stress how quickly the uninitiated can wake up dead. These jollies in old clunkers are all a lark in Europe, but down through Morocco is raising the ante and a lack of knowledge and prep will FUBAR you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Now there some great advice there

The clen water int he cooling system is a great one.

As regards to the rally, there are other mechanics going and we are in groups of 7 cars so we should be alright.

Cheers again for the great tecnical facts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel return lines

Hi

I am also currently moving the fuel lines from the bottom of the car and I am going to send them inside the car, through hosepipe.

But

I have been looking at the manual and this suggests that the car has a return fuel pipe fromthe carb to the tank. However, i cant find two. I seem to only have one.

1990, 1.4 205

Any ideas on this one

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts