Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, have a problem with fuel consumption. Its 25mpg driving in city! Something wrong, i had 406 2.0hdi 90bhp before and i was getting at least 37.
Its same engine and i cant understand why mpg is so low??

The belt was changed, oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter. I cleaned the MAF sensor made no difference, tried to disconnect the maf sensor still same, not even error message, check with pp2000 - there is no faults. I just dont know what to do.. Its only 81000 on a clock.

Any ideas? maybe its MAF? if disconnected or connected no difference, maybe its time for a new one?

Thank you!

J

·
0 Posts
I'm surprised you managed to get 37mpg driving in town :nod:
I wouldn't be expecting to get that high.... 25 is a bit low, but it really does depend on what the driving actually is. What is the average mph showing?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tyres fine, 15" original alloys, brakes fine, timing belt done and engine sounds good, cant say that its something wrong with belt, puls like train, no prob with power. Ordered new MAF sensor so will see what difference it will make.

Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Average 16mph :eek:

No wonder you're down at 25mpg :nod:

How on earth did the 406 manage 37mpg at that speed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not on that speed, more then 16mph :) dont remember now. But that was mostly city driving.

With new pug no more then 25mpg average, and driving everywhere same as i did with my 406. Thats why its something wrong here.

Can it be EGR? or something else except MAF?

Maybe accelerator pedal sensor?

Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Until you're average speed is greatly improved on, I can't see that you will be getting the mpg to increase. Even if as you say it includes all your driving, to have an average of 16 is extremely low - you must be 90% city, 10% country to get it as low as 16... I've never managed that, ever. My average is currently running at 28mph which is a mix of town & urban, and I get 38mpg, that said, thats from the 136 2.0HDI engine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my new MAF sensor today, fitted - still same mpg.. disconnected - still same, no erros on dashboard no nothing, drives same with it connected or not.. How can it be?

Maybe egr full of crap inside? But checked with pp2000 and there is no faults at all!

I'm really stuck now..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas.

Continueing my story... :) disconnected the EGR plug, the blue one in pictures, no difference, no error message on dashboard!!

Why there is no errors?? Does it mean my egr f*****?

Please can anyone help me? And did anyone tryied to remove/clean EGR?

Thanks

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Probably won't get an error on the dash for disconnecting the EGR - scan it with PP and see if there is one. If not, you've disconnected the wrong thing :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
hey, how did you get to the egr valve, heard its behind the engine on the left hand side? I have a 307 2.0D 110. any advise - I like you have a problem with MPG, and I am trying to get it fixed, cleared out my MAF still same.

Had the DPF taken out, the MPG remains the same.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
yes, egr is on the left side behind the engine, and its a pain to get it out...
I will try to remove wipers, then that big plastic cover under wipers at bottom of your windscreen, intake pipes and will see how much space i have. Some say you need to lift or lower the engine to get to it, i dont think it should be so hard to get it. If i find any time to do it this week i post some pics. :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
The EGR only really comes into play when cruising, i.e. on a steady run, not start stop cold driving around town. By the very nature of the original problem, i.e. 16mph average with 25mpg is telling me that you're not driving at times when the EGR would be open, therefore 1) it could well be blocked anyhow due to excess soot build-up from lack of use, or 2) won't make any difference to your fuel consumption as its still nearly all town driving.

Reset all the trips, and take it out for a decent drive, i.e. country roads, etc and see what mpg is returned then.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for answer. Went to manchester airport this morning, did about 70-80mph all the way it shows 39.2mpg average. So its not too bad, and yes - my driving mostly is in town, its about 80%. But with my old Peugeot 406 i did much more then this. Thats why im worry about it that there is something wrong with it. Old peugeot 406 did about 42-44 mpg motorway going same speed, and its heavyier then 307.

Anyway, i take the driver side front wheel off, looked into turbo and found something is leaking from it. So now asking for help again :) can someone tell me is it normal or something is wrong with turbo??

Thank you

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts