Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spilt some tippex a few weeks ago on the passenger seat, in the centre and at the back where it meets the upright back part of the seat. Here's a couple of photos.

I've tried normal car upholstery foam, it's no good. Any solvent you can recommend that wouldn't ruin the fabric? I must admit, I haven't tried drenching it with water yet, maybe that would help? Running my finger over it, the fabric feels a bit hardened underneath the stain and having tried rubbing it off it's smeared the white a bit more.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Depends a bit on the type of 'tippex' , as there are a few solvent-free ones about now.
Assuming it's ordinary traditional tippex, nail varnish remover will work as it is Acetone (also called propanone, propan-2-one, dimethyl formaldehyde, dimethyl ketone) ie the same as tippex thinners.
Do test on an 'inconscpicuous' part of the car first, as the acetone might DAMAGE the cloth, don`t drench it "Softly Softly Catchee Monkey".:thumb:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bettyswollocks said:
Depends a bit on the type of 'tippex' , as there are a few solvent-free ones about now.
Assuming it's ordinary traditional tippex, nail varnish remover will work as it is Acetone (also called propanone, propan-2-one, dimethyl formaldehyde, dimethyl ketone) ie the same as tippex thinners.
Do test on an 'inconscpicuous' part of the car first, as the acetone might DAMAGE the cloth, don`t drench it "Softly Softly Catchee Monkey".:thumb:
Thanks BettyS, good idea, I'll ask my mum for nail varnish remover :D and test it out first as you said in an inconspicuous part. I think it spilt from one of those tippex pens. You gave me an idea when you mentioned those chemicals. I've got a large bottle of isopropyl alcohol which is absolutely brilliant in cleaning my computer cpu from thermal compound, and it was also excellent removing some remains of glue from plastic. Do you think that might be worth a try?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bettyswollocks said:
As i said try a little somewhere out of the way first and give it a day or overnight to make sure it doesn`t stain or burn the material before trying it out , and good luck.
Well, I took a risk just now with the isopropyl alcohol and rubbed it on the stain. Didn't really do much. It seems to have erased some of the outer smudging. Let's see if my passenger seat is still there tomorrow or melted. :lol: I'm sure it'll be fine. However, when I get varnish remover, I'll definitely not try it on the stain first because I know that stuff is stronger.

G

·
Hi

I think I would wait until its set hard and see if you can pick some off.. perhaps you have tried.

I would not use nail varnish... IPA is fine and should not affect the fabric, but as warned, always test a small patch. I have used IPA on my interior which is the same as yours.

I think I would then try some cellulose thinners on the remains... that stuff is lethal so take it easy - usual disclaimers apply!

Do you have a vax or similar? If you go in with a solvant then you must be ready with water to clean up and wrinse the stuff out. Groom fabric/upholstery cleaner is ideal for this.

At the end of the day, the tipex is paint, so its going to be something similar to remove.

Why not email the manufacturer of tipex ( or whatever product it really is) and ask how to remove it?

David

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice david. Yeah, might try and call tippex tomorrow, see what they have to offer. I don't have a vax, only a bagless cylinder vac from tesco (which btw, is BRILLIANT for normal car upholstery and carpet cleaning, those car vacuums from halfords are rubbish). I may end up trying a cellulose thinner.

BestGear said:
Hi

I think I would wait until its set hard and see if you can pick some off.. perhaps you have tried.

I would not use nail varnish... IPA is fine and should not affect the fabric, but as warned, always test a small patch. I have used IPA on my interior which is the same as yours.

I think I would then try some cellulose thinners on the remains... that stuff is lethal so take it easy - usual disclaimers apply!

Do you have a vax or similar? If you go in with a solvant then you must be ready with water to clean up and wrinse the stuff out. Groom fabric/upholstery cleaner is ideal for this.

At the end of the day, the tipex is paint, so its going to be something similar to remove.

Why not email the manufacturer of tipex ( or whatever product it really is) and ask how to remove it?

David

G

·
Hi

Thinking about it after I posted, calling Tipex is probably the best idea before inflicting damage.

I did a google for removing tipex... there is apparently tipex thinners available, so that will be the best option I suspect!

I would be keen to get under the fabric so that whatever you use goes not get absorbed into the foam... you may be able to lift thefabric as its at the back of the seat an deven get some kitchen towel under it to absorb the thinners.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.