Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I had my 2006 407 3.0 V6 cambelt replaced with genuine parts almost a year ago and after the job was completed i noticed that there was a very small engine oil leak in my garage in the mornings. I have only now been able to take vehicle in to have it looked at and they have told me some horrible news. I am told that the oil is leaking from the back bank tappet cover and is very slight , they say it is common on the v6 model. They say that to fix it the cambelt which is a year old and cost me an arm and a leg has to come off and they recommend replacing as it has been tensioned and their is a possibility that it may break? then they can seal the leak. Now I have been told that I can use the old (newish) cambelt but they have been know to snap. They recommend getting a new one

What do i do??? do i let it just leak? they did say that the leak could get worse. Or should I purchase a new cambelt which i cannot actually afford?? Or do i use the year old belt that has been running fine and has no oil on it?? please help.

Matthew Muir Cape Town South Africa.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wouldn't really think it wouold be a problem putting the old belt on. Can't really see how that's gonna be a problem.

Does it really need to come off to remove the rocker cover at all?
I think it sounds strange.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I suppose it is a 3.0 V6 petrol you have got?

From the looks of it in servicebox the rocker covers are separate and does not need the cambelt to come off.

But if it is the actual camshaft bearing block that sits below the rocker cover the belt must go off. So first be sure from where it's leaking.

The rear rockercover is the aluminium part on the right side here:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. yes it is a V6 petrol motor. I have not seen where it was leaking from exactly but i will try and get under there tomorrow sometime and see where. I cant understand why they would have to remove the cambelt again and tell me that it is not advisable to re use it. I should probably get another garage to look at it.

·
Registered
14,551 Posts
They need the belt off for access as the cover needs to come off to see what they are doing the v6 engine is prone to oil leaks at its top covers unfortunately its a long and time consuming job and removal of the belt and pulleys makes success more likely although its not essential

As for the belt snapping they are talking bollox the belt on the v6 is 1 of the least likely belts to fail in all the Peugeot petrol engines I have not changed mine on my espace same engine and it has been there 8 years and loads of miles :) its well overdue and I would still confidently drive the espace anywhere.

Not saying they cant break just that it is low risk compared with some others 1 have had at least 30 of these engines over the years and only had 1 with a failed belt and this turned out to be a failed idler not really the belt !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help on this.. I have decided to drive the car until the leak gets really bad if at all. right now its only a few drops on the floor every morning and i have never had to top oil up. Will watch it. thanks guys great forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts