Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first of all, thanks for looking at this post, and sorry it's a long one. But hopefully you can help -

I recently bought a 307 1.6 S 16V (56 Plate) for a very reasonable price, due to no MOT and some minor body work damage. I took the vehicle for a test drive, inspected the engine bay and the vehicle seemed to be mechanically sound. I was aware the vehicle would require at least some new tyres to pass an MOT, but for the price I had managed to get the vehicle down too, it would still be a half decent deal.

So I put the car in for an MOT and as I thought 2 new tyres needed to be fitted, but this was it. So after the new tyres had been fitted I drove away from the MOT test centre with a smile on my face as I had bought a car with 67k on the clock at a good price now with a full MOT.

However a week later I started to notice that after turning the vehicle off, even after a very short and economical drive the cooling fan would continue to run for 5-10 mins. After looking through the internet I found a few people with the same problem however all answers seemed to be specific to the 1.6 HDI models and of course I have a 1.6 petrol. Other answers suggested a software update??

The above was slightly worrying but I didn't worry about it too much and it soon became the least of my car worries as after 2 weeks of purchasing the car I was driving home and the car suddenly jolted - I honestly thought I had hit something. The gearbox light came on and on the display read "Info - Gearbox Faulty" The car still drove but it just wouldn't shift up (Whilst in full Automatic) I pulled over and restarted the engine, the Fault was gone and the car drove fine for the next week or so. Then the above happened again, I pulled over and restarted the car, the fault light was again gone. I wondered to myself if the fault would occur when driving in semi-automatic, and unfortunately it did and I could not shift above 4th gear.

I took the car to a dealership and after plugging in the diagnostic equipment no stored faults found :/

The Gearbox fault occurs occasionally, perhaps once a week, and after most drives the cooling fan remains on. Which I know will be draining the battery, the car is fitted with a new alternator and battery. So perhaps the previous owner often had the battery run flat and thought to replace the alternator, I however think it was the cooling fan remaining on that was running the batter flat.

Really not sure what my next move should be? Any advice would be very Welcome.

Thanks in advanced - PJ

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Okay, first of all, thanks for looking at this post, and sorry it's a long one. But hopefully you can help -

I recently bought a 307 1.6 S 16V (56 Plate) for a very reasonable price, due to no MOT and some minor body work damage. I took the vehicle for a test drive, inspected the engine bay and the vehicle seemed to be mechanically sound. I was aware the vehicle would require at least some new tyres to pass an MOT, but for the price I had managed to get the vehicle down too, it would still be a half decent deal.

So I put the car in for an MOT and as I thought 2 new tyres needed to be fitted, but this was it. So after the new tyres had been fitted I drove away from the MOT test centre with a smile on my face as I had bought a car with 67k on the clock at a good price now with a full MOT.

However a week later I started to notice that after turning the vehicle off, even after a very short and economical drive the cooling fan would continue to run for 5-10 mins. After looking through the internet I found a few people with the same problem however all answers seemed to be specific to the 1.6 HDI models and of course I have a 1.6 petrol. Other answers suggested a software update??

The above was slightly worrying but I didn't worry about it too much and it soon became the least of my car worries as after 2 weeks of purchasing the car I was driving home and the car suddenly jolted - I honestly thought I had hit something. The gearbox light came on and on the display read "Info - Gearbox Faulty" The car still drove but it just wouldn't shift up (Whilst in full Automatic) I pulled over and restarted the engine, the Fault was gone and the car drove fine for the next week or so. Then the above happened again, I pulled over and restarted the car, the fault light was again gone. I wondered to myself if the fault would occur when driving in semi-automatic, and unfortunately it did and I could not shift above 4th gear.

I took the car to a dealership and after plugging in the diagnostic equipment no stored faults found :/

The Gearbox fault occurs occasionally, perhaps once a week, and after most drives the cooling fan remains on. Which I know will be draining the battery, the car is fitted with a new alternator and battery. So perhaps the previous owner often had the battery run flat and thought to replace the alternator, I however think it was the cooling fan remaining on that was running the batter flat.

Really not sure what my next move should be? Any advice would be very Welcome.

Thanks in advanced - PJ
could this be a sign of needing a new clutch

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It's Automatic so a torque converter?
Is it a full automatic or an EGC? Does it have a "P" position on the gearchange? If it doesn't it's likely an EGC box which has an ordinary clutch (no pedal though) which is electronically controlled and no torque converter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts