Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought id share a thread about my experiance with plasti dip paint and what it is.

i bought 2 cans off ebay

Link
Genuine PlastiDip. 400ml. Aerosol - Black | eBay

Basicaly plasti dip is a spray on rubber paint that can be sprayed onto anything really. just like normal paint but it drys into a rubber coating.
its scratch and bump resistant and looks very nice when done correctly.
ive seen cars on youtube who have plasti diped the whole car.

You dont have to remove anything or block onything off, dont have to tape up windows or lights. just spray on. then when its dry, peel off with ease the parts your dont want painted.

i debadged my car but left the pug badge on., sprayed it back then peeled off the exccess from around it. same for my front grill, and the evil eye brows.

ive also done my alloy wheels.
here it a before and after. and yes i know the before picture could have been better cleaned.

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
You dont have to remove anything or block onything off, dont have to tape up windows or lights. just spray on. then when its dry, peel off with ease the parts your dont want painted.
Wouldn't that mean that the coating you do want to keep would also peel off with ease ? I know that a curbed alloy looks bad but even the lightest of curbing would peel off quite a lot of the coating and could look even worse.

The finished wheel does look pretty good but if it's easily peeled then it seems like it's hardly worth it. On the other hand, if after a few hours it cures to a tough coating then maybe it's a good investment. I would prefer a different colour simply because I don't think that colour wouldn't look too good against my cars colour.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't that mean that the coating you do want to keep would also peel off with ease ? I know that a curbed alloy looks bad but even the lightest of curbing would peel off quite a lot of the coating and could look even worse.

The finished wheel does look pretty good but if it's easily peeled then it seems like it's hardly worth it. On the other hand, if after a few hours it cures to a tough coating then maybe it's a good investment. I would prefer a different colour simply because I don't think that colour wouldn't look too good against my cars colour.
you wont beleive it till you try it bud.

it peels off easy on things like for ex:
i sprayed my rear badge, peeled off th exces, sprayed the badge, peeled exc.
4 layers, badge done, boot clean. hard to peel off now.:thumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
That is similar to the coatings you get for pickup load beds.

Did you primer it first?

I have used similar products, and they don't last long if they haven't been applied properly.

The "easy peel" properties are the same properties that let it bubble and fall off after a while.

A proper compatible primer coating on the surface gives it something to stick to and makes it tough as nails.

It looks good just now, not too sure it will survive a few winters though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
how are the wheels looking now bud, i used this on my bike plastics last year and it lasted till this year in till it was out in the really hot sun ( yes that amazing summer we had ) it started to peel/melt, but to be fair u could hardly keep ur hand on the plastics they were so hot, but its cheap and easy to do so am no to bothered

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how are the wheels looking now bud, i used this on my bike plastics last year and it lasted till this year in till it was out in the really hot sun ( yes that amazing summer we had ) it started to peel/melt, but to be fair u could hardly keep ur hand on the plastics they were so hot, but its cheap and easy to do so am no to bothered
So far so good mate. Still lasted dispite kurbin almost every day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used Plasti dip on a wheels in the past and as long as you dont kerb them the coating stays good for quite a while , last ones I did was twelve months ago and they are still looking good .

I was thinking about doing the black trim strips on my 106 when swmbo mentioned that maybe try changing the colour .

So I fired up photoshop and had a play .

Before

and after

My photoshop skills are not very good but you get the general idea .

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts