Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I am attempting to run planet on my laptop running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

I've got XP mode running and have successfully installed Planet as well as the USB drivers for the interface. It's activated and opens fine, however when I'm trying to connect my car to do a diagnostic (2002 307 HDi, VAN system) I am facing an error.

Planet is obviously communicating with the car, as when I select '307' from the initial list, it asks me to connect the cable and switch on ignition, after which it pulls up the VIN of the car and asks for the build code, but then when I click on 'Planet diagnostics' on the next screen I get the error above.

I've done a google search for the obvious terms: 'wincad peugeot planet' and 'win87em.dll planet' and found a couple of other people have had the same issue, but no solutions unfortunately.

win87em.dll seems to be from the age-old Windows 3.1, so not too sure what I can do to resolve this.

Can anyone suggest what could be causing this or even better, suggest a solution?

S

·
0 Posts
Long story short.... you cant! (i wrestled with this one for a good while before giving up, its possibly something to do with XP Mode, i bet if you build your own VM it will be fine)

Unless you have a pure windows xp machine you'll keep hitting this error, although it is quite intermittent

Mine tended to throw it a lot when doing a global test, individual ECU tests work as normal though!

I wouldnt like to know what'd happen if it crashed like this midway through it changing settings on the car :eek:

Much better off having a dual boot, or a separate cheap xp laptop just for planet :thumb:

Saying that i dont know if the latest update for planet (24.77) does anything, but i imagine because its the same base software it'll still be calling the same problem files into play!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
back in the day when i had planet...I used windows 7 as a base OS. and used Microsoft Vmware and installed a copy of xp on that and used that to host my planet diag software...hope that makes sense.

S

·
0 Posts
Thats what i was on about up top, i think the microsoft provided XP Mode doesnt play well

Building yourself a vm from scratch seems like a better idea! :D

I take it yours didnt throw this error john?

S

·
0 Posts
I'm going to give this a try later i think, been a while since i built a ye olde xp machine!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. Whilst trying to sort this out I've already been asking around for someone with an old laptop I can reformat and use purely for Planet.

I think I'll try uninstalling Virtual PC with XP Mode and give VMWare a try. Before I got the interface I did read some posts about VMWare working (probably by one of you) and I think it was chopper or philkerman who was involved in the discussion too.

This laptop is my workhorse so-to-speak, so ideally I'll have it running on here rather than a dedicated old one. Saying that, if I'm going to be dragging it out to cars then perhaps I should just get one of those battered old IBM Thinkpads that seem to withstand anything!

S

·
0 Posts
Well i take my hat off to you john, building my own vm for planet was indeed the answer!! :thumb:

Should have known the microsoft offering wouldnt be up to scratch!

Now i can retire my clunky half dead laptop i've been using for planet!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
glad to hear you got it stubbo :thumb:

i managed to do it on a 4 year old laptop...ran a bit slow but was perfectly stable and worked a treat. :thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Old thread I know, but I am running windows 7, using VMware workstation I have PP on it but also get the dreaded wincad error

1 - 13 of 13 Posts