Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, apologies in advance. I have had a look around but I can't find a thread with a definitive spec for lap-tops to use with Planet (maybe worth a sticky?)

I'm going to be buying one for work and want to kill two birds with one stone.

Seem to remember XP 32bit being the original but that Windows 7 will work, or even 10 with 7 running in a VM. I can check what version I have if that makes a difference.

Cheers and apologies again if I've missed the really obvious thread that answers my question, Jim

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have diagbox versions 7.58 and 7.62 working on 3 different laptops.

An old IBM with XP SP3, a Toshiba i7 loaded with windows 7 32 bit and a Toshiba i7 with windows 10 32 bit installed in VMWare inside win 10 64 bit main operating system.

Diagbox will not work properly in 64 bit versions, at least I cant get it to work, have tried..:D

I use the i7 with the win 7 32 bit system for all diagnosis, the old IBM is just a backup and MUCH slower than the i7 [it is loaded with a host of older automotive software that will only operate in XP], and the win 10 one I did just to see if it would work. Just a pain to run a VM system though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one. Is it much of a pain to run the VM? If it is, I'll just get something refurbished with 7 on. Last daft question, what do I need for connectivity, serial port?

I did once know all this stuff and bought my software and interface ages ago but my Mum's old lap-top that I was going to use spontaneously disintegrated while it was being cleaned up.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If it is loaded with a legit copy of win7 and is 64 bit, you can just download a 32bit file from Microsoft website and reload it with 32bit version. Make sure you extract the licence number off it first and check with Microsoft it is legit.

My experience with VM is you can sometimes have a real fight with it linking to the interface [Lexia], so I normally avoid using a virtual drive setup.

My Lexia kit connects via USB with no issues. Doesn't yours have a usb connection?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm buying new/refurbed so it will have whatever I spec, if 7 is the better bet then that's what I'll ask for. I've found a place that will build a Panasonic Toughbook to whatever spec for the price of a refurbed notebook.

I'm not a complete idiot but I am a bit so if there's a possibility of having problems with the VM, I'll just stick with 7, then I can load my old Football Manager game on it and play that on rainy days as well.

No idea about the USB, it's all in the garage, I'll have a look tonight. I'm sure there'll be an adaptor available somewhere, whatever it's got.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Just make sure you use a 32bit system. It works well in windows 7 for me and I know it works in a 32bit windows 10 system, but windows 10 is a pain in the butt IMO as it updates itself whenever and latest update trashed my ability to print out of my VMWare where I have my servicebox.. still trying to fix it.. Grrrr

So I would go for win7 as it is a stable operating system in my experience/opinion. Certainly runs my V7.58 Diagbox/PP2000 well.

·
11,731 Posts
For Planet I use an old Asus netbook with SSD and large battery running XP 32 bit. Its compact size is really easy to handle and the big battery gives me six hours of diagnostics.

For Diagbox 7 I'm just prepping a Dell Vostro i3 - again with SSD, Windows 10 32 bit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, have a USB connection. Do I need 10 for Diagbox, then, or will it work on 7?

If so, I can get something decent and hope I don't have too many problems with the VM. Everything running 7 is a bit old or very expensive.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Diagbox has a version of PP2000 embedded inside it so is a single install.

You cannot install the original standalone version of PP2000 in the same computer as Diagbox. The original PP2000 will also only run in win XP.

All versions of PP2000 and Diagbox must be installed in a 32bit environment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, so I only need install Diagbox, then?

I was looking at a refurbed lap-top but if I can get something more recent that will run diagbox, that would be better all round. Need to see whether I've got diagbox on the discs that came with the lexia interface.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right, so it looks like I have Diagbox with various updates to take it up to v7.49. I need it for our C2 nd DS4 anyway and as long as the embedded version of PP will be OK for my 206, it looks like I'm laughing.

If someone could confirm that I can run that on WIN 10 (albeit 32 bit) I 'll get something ordered this week.

Apologies, I realise that this is probably the millionth time some have read these, or very similar questions. I did have a search but I couldn't find anything definitive. Is there a sticky for this?

CIA, Jim

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ta. I might have had a result in that a mate might have an old 32 bit machine lurking about. I'll try it on that anyway but I need a laptop for work so I could buy a decent one and try the VM route as well.

Which is to say, stand by for lots of "how do I get it to...?" type questions.

Cheers, Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts