Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the day started so well. I've spent the morning counting the hours and minutes until I pick up my 3008 at 2.30pm, got the keys for mine in my bag ready together with my paperwork etc and I'm already to go. Excited was not the word to describe how I felt. At 1.30pm I get a call from the garage with bad news! During the Easter break some kind person has thrown something onto the roof of my car and damaged it so there's no way I could pick it today. :mad: As I was already on my way I decided to go and see exactly what has happened to my lovely car.

To be fair the salesman is almost as upset as I am but the annoying thing about it all is that it was avoidable. Someone was supposed to have cleaned mine and another customer's 3008 on Friday and then leave both cars in the workshop until everyone returned to work this morning. Unfortunately for me, mine was not cleaned on Friday as it was coming up for 5pm so they left it in the compound over the Bank holiday. The roof above my rear off side passenger door now has a dent as big as a football and there's a crease leading from the dent towards the top of the door - and the CCTV shows nothing!

I've been told that it will take at least a week to put right in the body shop and it will look as good as new but I can honestly say that I don't know how they're going to do it. I'm no expert obviously but the metal seems to be split as well as dented.

To say I'm devastated is an understatement. I've been given the option of ordering another car but I won't get it until July/August so for now I've agreed to see what the repair looks like. Should it not be to my satisfaction then it looks like I won't be getting my car as a 17 plate.

I've tried to upload photos of the damage so hopefully you can see what's happened

Attachments

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Oh Gill that's terrible, you must be so disappointed. I had a similar sized dent in almost the same place on one of my cars a couple of years ago where some drunken moron thought it would be fun to climb on the roof, and arse about.

My dent repair guy managed to get the dent out, and where the paint had been damaged, he took the car to his workshop, and brought it back three days later as good as new. So, the damage should be repairable, and there's no reason why they shouldn't do a good job.

The question is are you prepared to accept a repaired vehicle? If you are satisfied with the work I would say yes, but I would definitely ask for a substantial discount on the price, or some other significant gesture of goodwill. I would also want an assurance that the repair is covered for the life of the car, and that it won't affect the corrosion/anti perforation warranty.

The upside is nobody but you need ever know the car was damaged, and you might make some money out of this by way of compensation. If they don't want to play ball then I would be tempted to threaten rejection, and see if they change their minds.

Odd there's nothing on CCTV, which makes you wonder if the damage was done somehow at the dealership by something heavy falling on it, and they just don't want to own up.

· Registered
509 Posts
Oh no! This is absolutely awful and I'm so gutted for you. Having worked in the car industry I know that these things happen sometimes without the customer even knowing but this one was unavoidable because it was so close to you collecting the car. They should have kept the car safe as you had said especially so near to you collecting. Yes the car will likely repair up but I think in this instance I would be refusing to take that car repaired especially as it's so close to vital strengthening areas of the roof. I'm also pretty convinced Peugeot can do better than July/August when it's their error and not yours.

Like I say my gut instinct would be to walk away from that particular car but I guess the choice is yours. Either way I hope they look after you and you get the result you want.

· Registered
84 Posts
Wow. That's awful luck and I really feel for you. As lee789 has said if the repair is good it should be OK, but it'll be hard to forget about that and takes away from what should be an exciting experience.

I would be tempted to re-order but again that's another wait you might not want to have to endure... It's a tough one!

· Registered
276 Posts
OH MY GOD !!!

Gill i`m so sorry, i know how much you were looking forward to picking it up as well, gutted for you i really am. Personally if it were mine i would reject it and order another, i know it means another long wait but that`s just my personal opinion, they can work wonders in body shops nowadays but that said it would always be in the back of my mind and i would know it was there.

I hope which ever little :censored: did it gets their just deserts.

Stu

· Registered
1,616 Posts
I really feel for you Gill and why on earth did they leave it so late to call you; plucking up courage no doubt. It looks as though it’s been hit with a metal bar or something so if there is no evidence of anything left around could it have been deliberate?

I’m not sure whether I’d accept the car now but something like that could have happened at Sheerness, it would have been repaired and you wouldn’t know any different so what to do? I can see your predicament!

If you do accept the car perhaps you can negotiate some sort of discount and you’ll no doubt make sure that they provide a guarantee for the workmanship.

I don’t envy you your decision but for me it might depend whether it was a keeper or exchange in 3 years’ time.

Good luck and once again I’m very sorry for you.

· Registered
136 Posts
Crikey Gill, Im sorry that this has happened to your lovely new motor. If its a really good repair job then you should be ok and it won't affect your pleasure in driving around in it. Hope it turns out well for you.

Kevin

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I suppose if it had been the glass panoramic roof, it would have been game over, and no choice but to wait for a new car. Chris is right about the damage though, and if it had been done en-route from factory to the dealer, it would have been repaired at Sheerness, and you would never have been any the wiser.

The best thing to do is wait and see when the repair is done. Check it very carefully, and then play the compensation card if you are happy to keep the car. If not, then as has already been mentioned, I'm sure they can get you a replacement car much quicker than if you were placing a new order.

· Registered
15,373 Posts
That looks like it was done by something long and flat so in my opinion someone KNOWS how it happened.

It is easily fixed and contrary to what has been said is in no way going to affect the structural integrity the roof is an outer skin the metalwork UNDER that is the structure and is far thicker than the outer skin.

As has been said it may well have been done BEFORE it got to the dealers and they did not notice it till they were cleaning all the transport films off they could have repaired it and not told you and you would be none the wiser !

· Administrator
2,123 Posts
Heck Gill,

What are the chances of that happening.

I got to say though, is amazing how skilfully things like this can be repaired, but, if it was mine, I would know it was there which would drive me demented.

Surely they can find you another in the country with Peugeots help.

I really feel for you.

· Registered
96 Posts
Hi Gill just seen your post and really really sorry that some moron could do that. With body shop repairs you honestly would never know. Remember when dinked a mini, when it came back it was pristine.

· Registered
683 Posts
I echo everything that's been said above, man I would be so upset, as you are I'd cry big proper tears. Its a pity in one way you saw the damage because once its repaired you would never have found where the damage was, you could refuse to accept the car and wait until august, your dealer wont care because once repaired he will sell it again in a heart beat without loss. Its a hard one I would say so long as the repair leaves the damage unnoticeable and the dealer guarantees said work for the length of the perforation warranty and its all in writing I would probably accept the car and try and get a goodwill discount, which your dealer may or may not give because he would as I said above sell it again in a heart beat

· Registered
77 Posts
Ouch ? - I hope they work wonders at the car hospital ?
Difficult decision on what to do for the best. Whatever you decide though I'm sure it'll be the right one for you. Hope you didn't have to pay too much for cancelling your old insurance and having to reinstate it, or that you'd sent the paperwork off to the dvla.

· Registered
36 Posts
An absolute nightmare and I feel for you Gill. This is something that I expect to happen to me. Honesty would be the best policy as we all make mistakes. if possible i would look to see if you could keep this car on a temporary basis whilst waiting for delivery of a re ordered car.
Im not saying its possible but thats the sort of deal I would be looking to make.

· Registered
857 Posts
I've just seen this post. That is a lousy turn of events. It's going to be quite a decision for you to make. I just hope you have a good outcome in the end. Was anything caught on CCTV?

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awww, thanks guys! You don't know how much your kind words mean to me. As you can imagine it's been a crap afternoon and believe me, Fontie, I've cried lots and lots of big proper tears most of the day and I'm still doing so while reading your comments.

The salesman rang me as soon as he found out about the car because the valeters hadn't bothered to tell him, probably because they knew that they could have avoided it if only they'd done as they were asked. The compound is apparently next door to a multi-occupied property that houses some very undesirable characters and I think one of them had lobbed something like an empty alcohol bottle onto my car.

The dealers have searched the country for another car in stock but there's nothing at all available and I've seen the computer so I believe them. Also I went to see the car last week just after it had been delivered and there wasn't a mark on it so I know it wasn't done during the delivery process.

They've said that it's likely to take at least a week and it will be unnoticeable when it comes back so I will just have to wait and see. The car is on a lease so will be gone after the 3 years are up so as long as they do a good job I guess I will accept it. I will make a definite decision when it's done. They seem to be helping me as much as possible, they've now given me my rubber mats, given me money to fuel my current car and have promised that I'm not going to be out of pocket but it's definitely spoiled what should have been a very happy experience and it's left me feeling really low and fed up but what can I do except wait and see.

I will keep you all informed of any progress but in the meantime, thanks to you all for your support.

· Registered
314 Posts
Awful news that. Personally I wouldn't be able to wait months for a replacement and I'd be after a free service package or something as compensation ...I'd want more than rubber mats and a few quid to be honest. On a positive note a good auto body guy will make that damage invisible, but I do feel for you.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awful news that. Personally I wouldn't be able to wait months for a replacement and I'd be after a free service package or something as compensation ...I'd want more than rubber mats and a few quid to be honest. On a positive note a good auto body guy will make that damage invisible, but I do feel for you.
Thank you shamilt1. I'm sure that from what's been said, the dealer will be offering me a lot more than just the mats and the diesel money but as it's early days I will keep an open mind. A few of you have assured me that the damage will be more or less invisible and I'm sure that will be the case so for now that's what is keeping me going.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.