Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a let off I have had.
Just got my timing belt changed as i bought the car 6 weeks ago and ut was on 85k and no evidence of it being done.
Fortunately my cousin in law is a mechanic so he did it for me for mates rates and I'm bloody glad he did too - had 2 splits in it - ready to fail at anytime.

Lesson to everyone. If your timing belt is due - GET IT DONE! I was close to leaving mine for another couple of months due to finances but I'd rather tighten the belt a bit toget through the month than have a knackered engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well this is certainly motivation. My 307 is at 130k on what I believe is the original belt, and the keeper before me did about 20k per year (is that classed as arduous conditions?). I believe on this engine the belt is due at 140k.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have been totally confused about when mine was due. Mines a 1.6 petrol. Haynes Manual says every 40-50k I think, Peugeot I think say 80 - 90k. My cousin in law who did the work says a timing belt should never be left longer than 8 years regardless of mileage. So I have no idea... I just let him do it for peace of mind as I have done with any 2nd hand car I buy unless there is clear paperwork to show when it was last done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Totally agree with you!
The 206 is on 84k, no evidence of it having been done in the history, lots of receipts for brakes, tyres, services, glow plugs etc, no Cambelt & water pump.
Decided to get it done, the water pump has broken and was leaking AND there was a large split in the belt.

Unfortunately, dealer messed up the change, belt was one tooth out and they'd charged us for the water pump but not fitted it. It's in now for the whole thing to be redone and the aux belt is being done as well.

Both Mr and my sister have nasty experiences of cambelts not being done at the correct interval!

As I see it, I'm protecting the investment in the car by doing it! (Well it softens the blow of the bill!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts