Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 207cc to Peugot dealer and was told I needed a new hpfp at a cost of £800. I then took my car to a very reputable garage to do the work as it wouldn't cost so much. I just had a phone call from the garage who told me it was absolutely NOTHING to do with the hpfp. It was simply a heat sensor! £30. BIG difference eh? My car now runs like new. What gets me is why Peugot said it was the hpfp? Do they actually do a manual check or just jump to whatever money they can get?

·
6,843 Posts
Based on my experience a lot of the "Master Technicians" just plug in the diagnostics and follow a flowchart of questions to make a diagnosis, then often throw parts at the car to fix it as they are not paying for them.

Very few mechanics now days appear to be able to think for themselves and actually question if a diagnosis is feasible based on live data etc.

The sad thing is it's not just PSA mechanics it's all of them and other trades too, no fault finding to component level just replace the complete circuit board and hope for the best

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Seen exactly the same in the forklift trade with newer / younger people coming through.

Someone ordered a new electrical equipment expansion card as the front wipers had stopped working on a counter balance even with a good set of fuse mounted on this card.

As I'd never known one of these cards to fail I decided to check the fuses that supplied the power to the card in the fuse box in the back of the truck - found a blown fuse, replaced it then operated the wipers & found the front wiper arms loose on there spindles which when operated the arms jammed up & caused the fuse in the fuse box to blow.

So for the cost of a couple of 15 amp blade fuses, a bit of Loctite & my time - I didn't need to fit the new expensive card someone else ordered.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I've had this happen many times with my local Peugeot dealer. Though it was actually the other way round because what I was reporting would have been a warranty job. They all do that, was the normal response. The fact that I had checked with many other owners of the same car here made no difference, their Tech knew best.

·
12,190 Posts
Sadly apprenticeships are going this way and older mechanics with life experience are on the way out in favour of searching a database and swapping a part.

I wouldn't mind so much if Peugeot mechanics actually came to this forum for information rather than the Peugeot network.

But then again, they wouldn't be able to misdiagnose and charge for unnecessary parts!

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It's always easy to just keep replacing parts until the fault clears if someone else is footing the bill.
Seems to me if they change a part and it doesn't fix the fault, they should cover the cost. But it never works that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts