Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just changed my turbo on my car, it is a 2006 model on 112000miles. The car was using excessive oil with oil in pipes, intercooler and so forth. I have had problems with the breather pipe to the turbo where oil was being pulled from crank ventilation unit, i fitted a new o ring (due to bad seal)and this cured the problem especially with revving past 3000rpm and smokiness.The turbo was leaking but didnt lack alot of power so suspected seals were gone. I have changed the oil, cleaned the sump, inspected oil strainer, checked oil delivery and return from turbo. Intercooler has been flushed and cleared, changed oil and filter (oil was black) this is 2nd oil change in a month, only filled to 75% as recommended somewhere. I have heavy carbon build up on the 3rd fuel injector to which I have the seal kit to fit with deburring equipment for seating so this is next job along with air filter to fit. Also checked Dpf for oil build up and amazingly found filter had been removed by previous owner (I wondered why pollution light was not coming on with the amount of smoke billowing out the exhaust). I have a suspicion I may have overfilled oil, but carbonisation within the engine has not helped with oil flow and lubrication. Has anyone had similar issues, have you managed to overcome the problem?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its a known problem, look here:
PSA 1.6HDi Turbo

http://www.btnturbo.com/bulletins/Btn_bulletin_DS089.pdf

You will have to clean everything intake,egr,oil sump,oil cooler(filter house)oil pick up,oil feed pipe there is also a filter in the banjo bolt if it has not been removed, if you want your turbo to last you have a big task ahead if you can see carbon on the outside there are much more on the inside.
I see you have done some of it but i can almost promise you that there is carbon restricting your intake going in to the cylinder head.

·
Registered
117 Posts
here is a picture of carbon buildup in intake, i have just cleaned mine and it had no carbon on the outside of injectors but the intake was restricted by 30% of hard carbon.
I used a vaccum cleaner with a small steel pipe and i got it all away that way but i think i used 5 hours just cleaning the intake and cylinder head.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like this is my next job. I removed the sump and cleaned it out, I checked infeed to turbo and outfeed and there is definitely flow, the oil was heavily blackened so from your photo of the cylinder head I'm pretty sure mine is in the same condition so i will be tackling this next before the turbo gets coked up. I'm pretty shocked at the state your cylinder head was in and thank you sharing it. I'll keep my next move updated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove car at weekend, all week a little bit of white smoke came out when slowing down, I've been driving no faster than 55mph with speed limits. This weekend I drove 100 miles and the car went into limp mode when I tried going above 70mph and pushing rpms above 3k, the car lost power and eventually I had to stop to allow limp mode to deactivate so i could drive on. On return journey the car did the same, on both occasions white smoke has been coming out the exhaust. I suspect there is an issue with the fuel injection system allowing air ingress and upsetting the air/fuel ratio, on research I have learnt that to compensate increased air the car puts more fuel in which results in excess unburnt fuel which eventually comes out the exhaust. I have planned on changing the injector 3 seals as this was seaping air when tested. I will be doing this job in a weeks time but has anyone experienced this issue and been able to sort it. Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
117 Posts
Drove car at weekend, all week a little bit of white smoke came out when slowing down, I've been driving no faster than 55mph with speed limits. This weekend I drove 100 miles and the car went into limp mode when I tried going above 70mph and pushing rpms above 3k, the car lost power and eventually I had to stop to allow limp mode to deactivate so i could drive on. On return journey the car did the same, on both occasions white smoke has been coming out the exhaust. I suspect there is an issue with the fuel injection system allowing air ingress and upsetting the air/fuel ratio, on research I have learnt that to compensate increased air the car puts more fuel in which results in excess unburnt fuel which eventually comes out the exhaust. I have planned on changing the injector 3 seals as this was seaping air when tested. I will be doing this job in a weeks time but has anyone experienced this issue and been able to sort it. Many thanks in advance

I would read out fault codes and maybe do a leak off on your injectors, if your injector has black oil on them when you pull them out you will have to change the oil seals on the injector i also changed the tube that are around the injectors and all seals you have to make the injector holes clean.
I did all that way preventing leak in the future, i also tighten up injector nuts with 5nm more then it says it should be.

Always start with a diagnose when you get limp mode, the limp mode is there to protect you engine and your symptoms can be caused by many different faults.

·
Registered
596 Posts
here is a picture of carbon buildup in intake, i have just cleaned mine and it had no carbon on the outside of injectors but the intake was restricted by 30% of hard carbon.
I used a vaccum cleaner with a small steel pipe and i got it all away that way but i think i used 5 hours just cleaning the intake and cylinder head.
That's a nice thumbnail...

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's a nice thumbnail...
Thanks, i loaned it from a technical bulletin :)
I think alot of 1.6hdi engines are driving around with alot of carbon in their intake, the intake manifoil on mine was so full of thick black material i used a spoon to get it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a nightmare, I'm going to check the injectors as you said but also going to check air flow mass sensor to see if it's been gunked up with remains from intercooler. Thanks for your help yet again

·
Registered
101 Posts
On this piece of crap peugeot called an engine , i have found that often the injectors come loose enabling gases to create the black larva people all see indicating there is an injector problem .
What you dont see however is although these gases which come up the injector tube are blocked for a while by the injector protector (piece of plastic)!
they then blow through the thin silicon gasket into the rocker cover , carbonising the oil even further , which then takes out the turbo , just replacing the turbo and associated components is not going to fix it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply, I am getting to the end of my tether with this car and very close to trading it in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts