Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Recently purchased a Peugeot 307 1.4 diesel from some bloke. However after 4 days of having it. I was driving the car and it started losing power on acceleration. For example reversing was terrible and 1st gear wouldn't go above 5mph. Then I went over a little hump bridge and it turned off on me completely. The car won't start. You can hear it trying to start like a chuck chuck sound but noting more. Taken it to garage and they said they took timing cover off and reset and car still won't start. They believe it's engine wise. Others saying different. I'm stuck in the dark and really appreciate help

Diesel
307 HDI

P

·
0 Posts
Hello. Recently purchased a Peugeot 307 1.4 diesel from some bloke. However after 4 days of having it. I was driving the car and it started losing power on acceleration. For example reversing was terrible and 1st gear wouldn't go above 5mph. Then I went over a little hump bridge and it turned off on me completely. The car won't start. You can hear it trying to start like a chuck chuck sound but noting more. Taken it to garage and they said they took timing cover off and reset and car still won't start. They believe it's engine wise. Others saying different. I'm stuck in the dark and really appreciate help

Diesel
307 HDI
Took timing cover of and reset what sorry? Any sort of service history with this car? Have you had a diagnostic on the machine?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took timing cover of and reset what sorry? Any sort of service history with this car? Have you had a diagnostic on the machine?
Hello thanks for reply

All he told me is that he took the timing cover off and resetteed the timing. And car still won't fire up. He believes something engine wise. He said it'll be 200 to skim the head to see anymore for inspections.

A break down company run a test and 4 error codes

They are:

P0113
P1160
P0102
P1351

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
If he reset the timing then the timing had jumped this means rockers are broken.

Codes don't help much with diesels you need live data to see things in real time as they happen or don't as the case may be :)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

Diesel
307 HDI
to rule out any problem with the engine get a can of easy start and get someone sat in the car turning the key so the engine turns over then spray the easy start into the air intake and see if it runs on easy start if the engine runs while spraying easy start into the air intake then stalls when you stop then you have no fuel going into the engine but engine is ok, the more easy start you spray in the higher the engine will rev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all reply. I will try that spray!

I'm not sure what he's talking about , about the belt if it's
Jumped or not!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to rule out any problem with the engine get a can of easy start and get someone sat in the car turning the key so the engine turns over then spray the easy start into the air intake and see if it runs on easy start if the engine runs while spraying easy start into the air intake then stalls when you stop then you have no fuel going into the engine but engine is ok, the more easy start you spray in the higher the engine will rev

Just an update. We sprayed some easy start into the air intake and then we turned the key and radio came on and it tried strating but with a struggle. Now when we turn the key it makes a "doomp" sound apparently it's highdraulicing I'm guessing the engine is gone then? Apprently also it seems like the belt has melted the case and seems like it's jumped ... So does it sound like I need a new engiine?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Just an update. We sprayed some easy start into the air intake and then we turned the key and radio came on and it tried strating but with a struggle. Now when we turn the key it makes a "doomp" sound apparently it's highdraulicing I'm guessing the engine is gone then? Apprently also it seems like the belt has melted the case and seems like it's jumped ... So does it sound like I need a new engiine?
sounds like something in the engine is damaged, take the head off and have a look see if the valves are damaged if not then rocker bearings needed I have a head gasket kit for one of them for £30 delivered if you need one

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
dONT take the head off valves don't get bent they break the rockers !!

I would fit a fresh belt first as you can sometimes be lucky I have had this twice on 2 litres and new belt was all it needed other times it needs 16 rockers

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

I would fit a fresh belt first as you can sometimes be lucky I have had this twice on 2 litres and new belt was all it needed other times it needs 16 rockers
could be head gasket that has been damaged or it could be shot on piston liner

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
But you don't KNOW so getting what you know sorted first is best he says belt has signs of problems he did not say it overheated so no reason to suspect head gasket as my sig says assume nothing

He will need a belt either way so it's a cheap test.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My mate came yesterday to look at the car and has advised me it's the engine I've decided too buy a engine off a company from ebay. I've checked that the engines correct. The only thing that's got me
Confused is that
My mate said who's a mechanic. He told me that I need to use my diesel pump on the engine I'm buying from. eBay something due to the ecu won't start or something ? He said these cars might be different though? He said if it's coded ill have to use it from my engine Can you explain what he means ?

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
You don't need to swap the pump its not coded you probably don't need to swap the engine either !

You probably wont get an engine complete with pump anyway as most breakers sell you them bare meaning half a days work swapping parts over from one to other I would definitely time up your old engine and try it first I have 30 years experience fixing engines and would never condemn one without getting it running first.

some people think belt slipped/snapped = engine scrap this is not ALWAYS the case

1 - 13 of 13 Posts