Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping for some advice as to what to do next.

I have a 59 plate Peugeot Partner Horizon.

It's had an intermittent startng issue for about 6 months. No pattern to it.

We've had the MAF sensor replaced and recently a temperature sensor. The mechanic had it for 5 days with the sensor and didn't have any starting issues. No other fault codes apart from the sensor showed.

A day after I got it back the starting issue started again. It's anything from a rough start to taking numerous goes to get it going.

My Spidey sense says it's a fuel issue as if 'feels' like no fuel is getting through on start up. Fuel filter was replaced in 2017. Mech cannot find anything else wrong with it.

We will be taking it to a 'French car' mechanic asap but was just after any thoughts on what it could be?

Battery is fine, starter sounds fine!

Admittedly it's a bit of a nail but Im keen to keep it a bit longer.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you take it to a french car India then they will put the car on PP2000 where they will be able to look into the fuel system, possible causes can be an air leak in diesel line anywhere from tank to engine, injector problems, fuel rail pressure sensor failing, fuel line blockage, crank position sensor. Without the appropriate diagnostics reading live data you run the risk of throwing a lot of cash at it without finding the real issue, if it is indeed a fuel related issue there is a lot of elimination and fault finding to do any codes present will not provide you with answers and a part to replace it will only point you in the right direction, you could start by looking at the fuel lines and see if you can see excessive air bubbles and that the priming bulb is firm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We thought we had one sticky injector (misfire on heavy acceleration) which was solved by the sensor being replaced.

We have had a dedicated Peugeot diagnostic tool on it that only threw up the temp sensor issue.

It's getting to the point where...do we cut our losses and get rid?... or am I going to kick myself that it's something easily fixable!

·
Registered
312 Posts
It doesn’t matter about codes, codes are pointless with this type of issue planet will help you solve it due to being able to read live data whilst the issue is happening, if the temp sensor was faulty then it wouldn’t cause hard starting but it may require you to apply the accelerator to start and diesels don’t miss fire as much as there is no spark diesels ignite under compression and it won’t be glow plugs the ECU doesn’t even initiate them until well below freezing, with planet you can tell weather you have the correct fuel pressure at the rail at the time of ignition, cam and crank sync just because it starts now and again it doesn’t mean that you don’t have an intermittent fault with either sensor and tells you timing is ok, crank speed is vital on this engine it will tell you the rpm of this, once you have these three things at a good reference value the car should start, you can also check the values of the injectors, a slacking timing belt can also cause hard starting due to the HP pump not being able to bring up the correct amount of fuel to the rail your vehicle won’t have a lift pump. If I were you I would check your fuel system for leaks, check that there is no excess air visible in your fuel lines and that when you prime your priming bulb on the top of your engine so that it is hard leave till the morning without touching it if you go back and it’s got softer then your letting in air somewhere anywhere from your tank to the engine these engines hate air in the system a tiny bit will cause hard starting but not enough to stop starting but will get worse until it doesn’t, the clips on the fuel lines above the timing belt cover green/ white are notorious for letting in air the same for the 2 on the fuel filter once you are satisfied with this I would move on to do a leak off test on the injectors you can find info on the site on how to do this, the injectors have seats and seals which perish over time they are notoriously clogged up with carbon and at some point should be serviced and replaced if an injector is leaking back diesel over night then a pressure will not be able to hold in the rail and will cause very hard starting in the morning. These are the 2most common issues for hard starting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I should have said it's 1.6 petrol engine.

The hard starting can happen at any point during the day. Even if the engine has been started successfully 30 minutes prior. Then some days it doesn't happen at all and runs perfectly.

I think I'll just have to get the Peugeot mech to just have a look at it. I was hoping it was something daft or simple.

Thank you for you help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts