Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding it difficult to find parts for my '89 Peugeot 405 Mi16. I can find used parts but some things just have to be new. I need a valve cover gasket and I can't find one anywhere. And what about struts, bushings, etc. Is there a major supplier in the States that supplies these kind of parts?

Perhaps even a service center that has a line on new parts? I live in Wisconsin and it would be nice to find a place that can get me the parts I need.

Am I going to have to call a Peugeot dealership in the UK, France, or Australia and see if they can help me? Will they even be willing to ship over seas? Would they even be able to get parts for a US spec model?

Any help would be appreciated!

G

·
Check out Dean Hunters website. They're probably the biggest UK parts supplier for out-of-production pug models, and they may well post overseas.

Miost Mi16 parts are still available from the dealers, and stuff like trim, badges etc is actually surprisingly reasonably priced. Yeomans Peugeot Car Parts are probably the biggest UK online dealer for genuine parts, and they"re also a proper franchised dealer, so can get anything that's still available. Might be worth dropping them an email, see if they'll post overseas. I'm sure they would and I can't see a gasket costing a fortune to post out.

If all else fails, register online with Peugeot Servicebox. Enter your VIN number and you'll be able to access the part numbers for every single item on the car. Once you have part numbers, I'd be willing to go to my local dealers for you and check out availability and prices and post them out to you, if you wanted to.

Finally, it's worth joining Club Peugeot UK. Pay to join the club, don't just register on the website. The accept international members and post the club magazine overseas, but more importantly you'll then have access to the 05 series registrar, who is the guru for all things 405 - if he can't help you, no bugger can.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks!

When I bought my car the previous owner gave me the number to a guy who specialized in Peugeot parts who is based in Vermont. I called him and ordered a couple parts but i was under the impression that he only stripped used parts out of Peugeots.

My car came with all maintenance records from the day the first owner bought it. After looking through the receipts I discovered that the previous owner had bought many parts such as plug wires, brakes, calipers, mufflers, gaskets, fuel lines, etc brand new from this guy. After visiting the website I discovered he has quite an operation. He not only strips out Peugeots but also handles brand new parts. The parts that you don't want to get used. So I think I should be ok. I'm going to call tomorrow.

For those of you in the US, you may be interested in checking out his site. www.peugeotholm.com

He also services Peugeots and is a used Peugeot dealer. He has about 15 cars on his lot at a time! This guy has quite the operation and based on everything he does is probably a Peugeot expert. Last time I ordered some parts from him I was impressed with the high level of customer service he provides. He actually took the time to ask me why I concluded those were the parts I need and what my symptoms were. He was very helpful in providing information on possible causes of problems and even gave me general instructions on a couple of things. When I told him I may need to order a power seat motor from him, he actually recommended I just convert to manual because its an unreliable part. Granted, he would make money from selling me the parts for a conversion but still. I'm gonna keep my power though :rolleyes:

After digging through my paperwork I also found a shop in Wisconsin that specializes in repairing Peugeots. My car was serviced there multiple times and the previous owner even made a note recommending them. I'll post up the info in a bit when I can dig out the info again.

So all along I had what I needed. I only skimmed my service records in the past and should have taken time to read them all like I did last night. And I should have asked Holms if they could get me new parts instead of making unsubstantiated assumptions.

I hope this info will help some other United States and Wisconsin Peugeot owners! :thumb:

G

·
Ok, nice result. The offer stands though - if you get really stuck for a part then let me know and I'll try the UK dealers for you.

Used to have a phII Mi16 myself, and it was one of my favourite cars of all time. The balance, poise, braking (one they we're sorted) was just sublime. Not v ery quicky, but the grip and steering once meant I resolutely hung on to the back of a Lotus Elise on the country roads round here and the bugger couldn't get away - I could see the stiff Lotus front end skipping and slipping on our bumpy public tarmac, and it just couldn( get on the drive hard enough out the corners.

I loved it.

However, at the time I was post divorce and I'd scraped enough out of the ashes to buy this little 2 bedroom stone cottage for myself. But the Mi really needed the time and money spent on a new steering rack and some paint, but I didn't have the space to park up a project. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for the offer Chopper. I may have to take you up on that sometime. Due to shipping I'm trying to get parts here first but if I have to order from abroad then so be it.

I called Brian yesterday and he was able to help me with the parts I need. He is actually a bit short on parts right now because he just had a fire and lost many of the parts he had in stock. Very sad both for him and those looking for parts. Some of these parts are so hard to come by and there is only a limited number in the States.

I suggest any of you in the States give him a call if you need any parts. He is very good on prices and very helpful. He quoted me a price for a blower motor and then proceeded to give details for online resources that would help me repair it. Most places would just be interested in making the sale not helping the customer save money at the expense of lost business. There aren't many people like that. Perhaps that is why he has been in business since 1969. He is located in Vermont for those of you interested. He supplies parts, services Peugeots, and sells Peugeot cars. I want to buy a 505 wagon eventually and I know he will be the first place I look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.