Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am tired of loosing coolant without being notified by the system and popping the bonnet open too often to check visually - The car comes without coolant low level sensor fitted as standard equipment, but the harness connector is there and my mechanic simulated the signal on the dash, so fitment should be straight forward.

Has anyone here done this type of modification before? I need to know if the expansion tank will need to be swapped with one that has a a hole for the sensor, or the current one will do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, its no longer loosing coolant, but several incidences where it has has taught me that driving without coolant is catastrophic = lots of money spent fixing both the leak and collateral damage.

I'd rather have piece of mind driving knowing I have some gadget is watching out for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't usually use the blower as I'm allergic to dust and I've been checking daily till the bonnet lock is beginning to give in. Pls let me know about the tank, will I need a new one, or the old one can be used ?

I know cooling system pressure is high in these Euro cars and I don't want a fix that cannot maintain that pressure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would need the tank with sensor as they are different but there are so many variants best bet would be a trip to the breakers and find a suitable one

Thanks, I think I'll get a new tank, they are cheap (and I love the look of a new coolant bottle in an engine bay) and a used sensor. Will post pictures hopefully in a month's time.

Thanks Reliable. Are you in a position to assist me with the issues I raised a few threads below on engine electrics?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Done - Centuries later

Hey guys, I went to shop and chanced whether they have the tank with sensor provision and sensor and against all odds, to my surprise, they had both the right tank and the sensor. Now this is a miracle considering that its a spare shop in Nairobi. The last time I asked they had one without a provision for sensor. The attendant told me that the two were ordered together- its as if they read my mind. Furthermore, they are of original quality as they were wrapped in Peugeot Citroen packaging and costed a total of GBP 76 for the two.

So I was not around when it was being installed - I gave a mechanic, asked him to take photos when through and here it is:-

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/members/civvic-346114/albums/coolant-level-sensor/7353-img-20160927-wa0032.jpg

The sensor was reportedly tested by the mech by lowering the coolant level below sensor and the low-coolant warning telltale lit on the dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were right

if you are loosing coolant that often then i would spend my time and money on finding the leak
I found out that my cause of coolant leaks and blowouts of cooling system components was due to reuse of (ideally non-reusable) head bolts which couldn't prevent compression from leaking into the cooling system.

I fitted new bolts along with gaskets and the car now feels like it has more torque than it had before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts