Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
i'm having trouble with my Expert Van it has starting surging between 50 & 70mph when it does surge there is a cloud of smoke from the exhaust.
It has been to my local garage and put on a diagnostic machice but didn't show anything wrong.
It seems to be getting worse so I'm not sure if I should be using it or not.

Any Ideas please

regards
Dave
Ganger04

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not pretending to be an expert on this particular engine, but surging and clouds of smoke are sometimes a sign of a failing turbo oil seal. Engine oil is passed into the air intake and from then into the engine and burnt as fuel. This gives a performance boost as the excess fuel is burnt and clouds of smoke out of the exhaust. However, it's usually terminal and drastic as the oil is pumped from the sump into the air intake, and the engine runs flat out until there's no more oil to burn and the engine seizes.

First thing I'd suggest is be wary that if and when it does go, be ready for it and stall the engine. You won't be able to stop it by switching off the ignition, so stick it in 3rd gear and brake the van to a stop. This will stall the engine and you might get away with a new (or rebuilt) turbo. Left to run itself out you'll need a complete engine rebuild or a new lump.

Second thing is I'd keep a check on the engine oil. If it is burning it as I said then you'll notice the level dropping which will be a good indicator of what the problem is. Obviously, if it's dropping then you need to get it sorted fairly quickly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that Viking
A friend thinks it may be the EGR valve thats at fault he told me to take the vaccum pipe of and see if it improves.
I will give it a try when weather picks up and let you know if it solves my problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.