Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
307 hdi 2.0 Cranks wont fire, NO dash lights. No bell ping when ignition on 2 and door open, central locking works on key, nothing else electrical operates except starter motor. HELP! been stood a few months new battery.

·
3,869 Posts
sounds like the ecu desnt recognise the key/imobiliser....explained ....here

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
When you say "new battery" is it new off the shelf fully charged or just another battery "new" to this car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say "new battery" is it new off the shelf fully charged or just another battery "new" to this car?
Its brand new. Wouldnt the dash lights come on even if it wouldnt crank or just clicked? It cranks quickly, no sound from the pump, no dash lights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, yes nothing on either. However no power to anything except starter motor and central locking on key. No power to OBD socket so I dont think the ECU is getting any so beep test wont work. Is there a main power relay or fuse? ta.

·
8,658 Posts
There are some maxi fuses tucked down the front of the under bonnet fuse box which control a lot of circuits. It also worth checking power at main Ign switch terminals with the Ign on . I have seen a few failed Ign switches over the years on older Peugeots

Reactions: Ian M Davis

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are some maxi fuses tucked down the front of the under bonnet fuse box which control a lot of circuits. It also worth checking power at main Ign switch terminals with the Ign on . I have seen a few failed Ign switches over the years on older Peugeots
Thanks, I'll look there next. Would it turn over if the ignition switch was faulty?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Would it turn over if the ignition switch was faulty?
What year is your 307? I had a quick look at the wiring for a 2005 307 see the image below. This diagram may not apply to your car I need to know the year and RPO number (usually inside the drivers door). However, if it's the correct diagram the fact that the engine is cranking suggests F11 is getting power from the maxi-fuses. It could be the ignition switch but it's odd there is no voltage at pin 16 of the OBD connector. This should be on all the time.

When you measured the voltage at the OBD connector did you measure it between the PIn16 and a ground point or did you use Pin 4 and 5. I ask this because I am wondering if the BSI is earthing properly.

When you changed the battery did you wait for the BSI to sleep before disconnecting the old battery?

Note: If its the older version of the 307 then there may be a problem with maxi fuse MF5 or its connection to the BSI. This is one of the power lines to the BSI. The OBD connector Pin 16 derives its power from the same line via the BSI.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your help, you obviously know a lot more abour electrics than I do. Its a 2004 307 2.0 90 hdi. RPO 10180. There IS voltage at pin 16 OBD, but the socket wont operate my scanner. The car had been sat for four months and the previous battery was down to 9 volts. I can do all the mechanicals but electrics is my real weak suit. Its too nice to scrap but not really worth spending much money on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did straight away, I'm afraid that someone will have to tell me in laymans terms what it means.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks for your help, you obviously know a lot more abour electrics than I do. Its a 2004 307 2.0 90 hdi. RPO 10180. There IS voltage at pin 16 OBD, but the socket wont operate my scanner. The car had been sat for four months and the previous battery was down to 9 volts. I can do all the mechanicals but electrics is my real weak suit. Its too nice to scrap but not really worth spending much money on.
Your car has the older wiring system and the older VAN bus protocol (Vehicle Access Network). Thanks to Madbadandold looking up the diagnostic code. I think you are getting this code because the BSI is not powered up.

Here is the relevant wiring diagram. The power to the ignition switch goes to three sets of contacts in the ignition switch. One set of contacts is connected to the starter motor solenoid via a link in the engine fuse box (BM34). Hence, even if everything else was down the starter motor will still crank the engine.

I suspect Windy was right about the ignition switch. Going by the diagram there should be a black 2 pin plug on the switch (2V NR) 2V number of contacts NR colour in French. You need to measure the voltage between both contacts and ground with the ignition ON.

There is one thing that still concerns me. I would expect your multifunction display to be showing "Economy Mode". When the voltage drops below 10V the car should go into economy mode and not come out of it until the engine is started. Anyway the next step is to measure the two voltages at the ignition switch. Edit - Actually before you do that just turn the ignition on and see if the stop lights work that will tell you if one of the contact sets are working.

For your information
2100 is stop light switch
1010 is the starter motor
BM34 is engine slave unit which is both an extension of the BSI and the engine fuse box
BSI1 is the BSI (Body System Interface/ Built-in System Interface) - also the glovebox fuse box.
CA00 is the ignition switch

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Many thanks, at least I can eliminate things. Brake lights work, reversing light works, side lights work, 12v socket works, glove box light works. No horn, no dashboard lights or multifunction display whatsoever, indicators dont work, hazards dont work. Fog light doesnt work, headlights dont work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Many thanks, at least I can eliminate things. Brake lights work, reversing light works, side lights work, 12v socket works, glove box light works. No horn, no dashboard lights or multifunction display whatsoever, indicators dont work, hazards dont work. Fog light doesnt work, headlights dont work.
The car is probably in Economy Mode which would explain why somethings are not working. There are a couple of things of concern- the car is not passing the beep test and the multifunction display is not working. My concern is that the BSI got corrupted when the battery voltage dropped.

I think the next thing to do is take the glovebox out to access the BSI. There should a large grey two pin plug plugged into the BSI. You should measure the voltage between each pin of that plug and ground.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Already have the glovebox out and the BSI exposed. I think I've done that but I'll check.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Already have the glovebox out and the BSI exposed. I think I've done that but I'll check.
I think might be worth trying to restart the BSI. The important thing to do is leave drivers window open (or a door if you can't open the window). Wait 3 minutes until the odometer display goes out and then disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Then reconnect the battery and turn the sidelights on. Then turn the ignition on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts