Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
307 comms unit nightmare.

Hello there
I purchased a 2000. 307 sw hdi 2 litre diesel seven seater 90bhp about 4 months ago to accomodate my five young children. Everything was was going fine until one day I was driving through Linlithgow and my radio went off, widscreen wipers went off, lights came on and wouldnt go off. As I live in Caldercruix near Limerigg, Slamanan I kept driving and when I got home I turned the ignition off to get out and open my garage, then on getting back into the car it wouldnt start.:mad: I eventually discovered that a small blue 15 amp radio fuse had caused the problem and then I got the car going fine.:) I thenm noticed that the radio was not a peugeot one and the clown that had put it in had made a complete mess of the wiring. Anyway after a few weeks later I went out one morning and the car then would not start. I checked all the fuses,and sadly they were all fine. I could not find what was wrong with it at all, so I got an auto electrician out and he unplugged the connectors from the rear of my comms unit and plugged it into one he had in his van ,he also did something with another wire ,probably the earth and the car started no problem. He then told me that it was my comms unit that was faulty and that they are expensive to buy and he also said that mine looks as if it has esp as there is the end connector that plug into the first port on the side is blue although he said he was not sure and that i would have to find out...lol. He also told me that the comms unit I buy must be the same number 96466658XT . I also went onto Valeo websit and got another 12 compatable OIE numbers. I have been trailing ebay for about five weeks now and so far have bought three diffrerent comms units that either dont work or have a different amount of ports at the back and I have had to senf them back. My comms unit has 5 ports in total,comprising of two flat ports and three smaller broader six pin plug like ports that are grey, black and brown in colour. My 307s vin number is VF33HRHYB82931379. I was up on the computer practically all night last night trying to find a comms unit to match mine. The car is just lying out in my garage and me the family are at the mercy of a garbage small village bus service. I still do not even know if my car has ESP or not , I have saw an icon on the dash with what looks like a small car skidding on ice,although im not sure if the is for the ABS. I never got an owners manual with the car so I dont still dont know. I was wondering if you know what comms unit I should be looking for? I have auto on my wiper stalks and the little computer button on the end of the indicator, and also a radio stalk that I do not use. Three stalks on total. My current comms unit is a comms 2000. The numbers off it are 344 615 55 then there is 96466658XT then 4438 DM and 27 fevt 2003. There is another number at the top ZA2D783D. Any help at all or even any small snip of advice would be very very welcome. Kind Regards Ger.

G

·
0 Posts
The Peugeot part number is 6242F9, and your car doesn't have ESP.

The part numbers ( the one that ends in XT ) doesn't have to match, just the Pug part for compatibility.

Our member 'Trustme' does an excellent repair service for comms units, I recommend him.

Kelv.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comms unit nightmare

Hello there Ginger:thumb:
Thanks for the quick reply there mate ,brilliant I have been reading fro weeks that the xt numbers have to match from every on ebay includingh my auto electrician...... What I was wanting to know is , how can you tell if you have esp or not, sound slilly , I read something about a blue plug ,mines has a blue plug but im not sure if it counts as it is a flat blue plug not a small six pin one like the brown,grey and black ones.Look forward to earing from you,im now going back onto ebay to try and source one, I need it yesterday.:eek:
Cheers again Ginger.:lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello There
Ginger kindly informed me that the comms unit I need is a 6242F9. However when I type this into the evil bay web site I just get one at £170.00 and 9.00 postage. I was wanting to know if there is any other way I could source one of these or is there a different number i could type in? Ginger kindly informed me about a forum member on here that reconditions them, the thing is I need it quickly as it has been in my garage for weeks now and me and the kids are at the mercy of th elocal duff bus service ,,one an hour..:(
Any help or advice welcome.
Kr Ger

G

·
0 Posts
The comms with ESP have 5 plugs in the back ( a small one each side and 3 in the rear ) whereas a car without comms has only 4 ( 1 each side and 2 on the back - not the middle one )

You can use a comms with ESP on a non-ESP car but not the other way round i.e. it must be an ESP comms on an ESP car.

If you send your old comms to 'Trust me' it will be returned within a week, normally...:thumb:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello There
Ginger kindly informed me that the comms unit I need is a 6242F9. However when I type this into the evil bay web site I just get one at £170.00 and 9.00 postage. I was wanting to know if there is any other way I could source one of these or is there a different number i could type in? Ginger kindly informed me about a forum member on here that reconditions them, the thing is I need it quickly as it has been in my garage for weeks now and me and the kids are at the mercy of th elocal duff bus service ,,one an hour..:(
Any help or advice welcome.
Kr Ger
the Forum member on here " Trustme " Graeme repairs these with about a two day turn Around and the advantage with this as opposed to fitting a new one is that a diagnostics on planet is not required on refit as it would be with a different/new unit there is a sticky somewhere regarding his service

he even gives a bit of tech support over the Phone if required :lol:

If your handy with a spanner it is not a hard job
If you put a thread up with FAO Trustme he may respond directly on it

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
I have some comm units and will have 1 to suit your car I doubt you have esp but even if you do I have 1 to suit
part numbers DO NOT NEED TO MATCH only functions regardless of what anyone tells you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Esp

Hello there Ginger
Sorry to bug you again, I just read your mesaage about the esp, my unit has five plug ports in the back, one on each side and three in the centre being a brown,black and a grey. 5 in total. So does this then mean that mines has esp and if so do you think Graham 'Trust Me' could repair it?I though after your post there that mine did not have ESP, although from your last message there I thinnk I may have,lol Sorry for being in the dark, and yes I really do appreciate your help, and would love it if Trust me could repair it.
KR Ger.:lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Comms units.

Hello There 406
Great to hear from you mate. How much are your units.?Im off tommorrow and tommorrow evening is there any chance you could drive over to my place in caldercruix to see if you could get my peugeot going with one of your comms units. I cant get to Falkirk as I have no car...until it gets fixed lol.:nono:
Look forward to hearing from you soon.
KR Ger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To 406

Hello Again 406.
Ps thanks for getting in touch with me ,hopefully you can end my families nightmare.Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind Regards Ger.

G

·
0 Posts
Reliable 406 has much more experience and knowledge than me, so I would take his word for it. :thumb:

I once fitted a non-ESP to an ESP car and it went boobs-up, so I have just been a bit more cautious now with part numbers etc.

Just to confirm, Service Box says your car has no ESP, there would be an ESP button somewhere on the dash or centre console so it could be turned off.

Good luck..

G

·
0 Posts
Oh, I was just going with what Service Box said.....

I've posted on your other thread...:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fao 406

Hello there 406
Does Saturday suit you better? Im desperate... Do have a phone number and I could phone you?
Cheers Ger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats great news.
How can I contact you with my address details , also wife wants to know how much you usually charge, my email is [email protected] so you can contact me on that if you want and we can exchange numbers, meeting time, and I can provide you with my address .
Kind Regards Ger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have some comm units and will have 1 to suit your car I doubt you have esp but even if you do I have 1 to suit
part numbers DO NOT NEED TO MATCH only functions regardless of what anyone tells you
Hello Reliable 406
Im the guy from Caldercruix, Just wanted to know what time tommorrow suits you?
Looking forward to seeing you.
Kr Ger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
comms unit nightmare

THanks every one for all your help,I apprecaite it, im still a bit in the dark though regarding the ESP thing, my comms unit has 5 ports on the back and I have been told this means it HAS esp however service box and Ginger told me that my car doesnt.
Its all a bit of a bad design from peugeot I think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts