Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have recently bought a 2017 5008 automatic and think I have an issue with the stop/start feature of the car and I’m hoping you can help.

Since buying the car three weeks ago, the stop start hasn’t worked once even though it’s turned on in the settings. I do get a flashing green light when stopped but the engine doesn’t cut out. I spoke with Peugeot dealer where I bought the car from and I was told it’s normal that this time of year that it may not work as frequent due to the cold weather, lights, AC etc being on due to the drain on the battery. I’ve taken the car out on a long drive, turned off everything that could put a strain on the battery but still nothing. It’s not even that cold!!!

I was wondering if anyone on here has had a similar experience?

Thanks

·
3,469 Posts
HI....It could be the battery showing its age at 3 years...but to be honest the system is very poor...my 3008 (2018) stop start has a mind of its own...Ive given up worrying about it ..plenty of other members have mentioned how poor it is..have a search...welcome to the forum btw....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI....It could be the battery showing its age at 3 years...but to be honest the system is very poor...my 3008 (2018) stop start has a mind of its own...Ive given up worrying about it ..plenty of other members have mentioned how poor it is..have a search...welcome to the forum btw....
Thanks Noddy. You’ve pretty much confirmed my thoughts, it just annoying and I wish Peugeot would just admit its a poor design rather than blaming things like the cold.lol.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Your battery is probably not good enough. I also dislike the system, but it works well on my 308 T9, even in cold winter. But since I don't like it, 99% of time I turn if of, that 1% I forget to do it. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your battery is probably not good enough. I also dislike the system, but it works well on my 308 T9, even in cold winter. But since I don't like it, 99% of time I turn if of, that 1% I forget to do it. :D
Thanks Mara. I agree, it’s something which I will no doubt end up turning off but it’s more frustrating that it doesn’t work. Even though it’s a 2017 it’s a late 2017 so it’s only just over 2 years old with 12000 miles so in my opinion, the battery should still be good. I think I’m going to give it a couple of months once the weather has warmed up and decide from there.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its a Peugeot.
Im on my 2nd now as the 1st one had sooooooo many faults that Peugeot basically gave up and just got me another new one........which is currently back in the dealers for a long list of faults.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have found solution for permanently turn off start/stop system. I have added small ultrasounds device to prevent engine from uninvited guest like marten.
It's connected directly to accumulator. From the moment of installation start/stop system hasn't started even once.
The only issue is that car goes to energy saving mode, but I didn't have problem to start it. And YES the green icon on cockpit still flashes but this doesn't bother me at all.
Search in google for Kemo M180. Price ~25€.

·
Registered
581 Posts
LOL! Energy saving mode should be some indication for you that this Kemo device is draining your battery too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LOL! Energy saving mode should be some indication for you that this Kemo device is draining your battery too much.
Of course, you are right, it uses more battery than computer calculates, but i have problem with marten in my area. Previous car 3008 had to be taken by tow truck to service because marten ate cables.
I had to secure car from them - below photos were taken after 1 month after getting car. The disabling start/stop function it's just extra feature i got. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
For us we test drove two models, auto and manual and the start stop worked fine for both.

Our 1.2 puretech came and it worked fine for the first six months, through a very cold winter too. Only seemed to switch off when I put heating on high, or air con on max.

Then it got more and more picky. Sometimes working sometimes not with green light flashing. When signing my service contract shortly before the first service I mentioned it to the sales guy. He said this was normal and that if the engine was doing engine management stuff in the background it wouldn't activate. Said his wife's BMW did the same - I didn't really believe him, since it was working well before.

We went away for three week in Feb this year and can't back into covid lock down. Since then it hasn't activated once.

I was in the garage anyway this week for some warranty work. So I asked them to have a look. They said I didn't drive enough to charge the battery enough for it to activate. They might have a point. After 18 months, we've done 7000 miles.... Covid played a role of course.

They suggested charging the battery overnight to fix it. They also offered to do it for me, but I preferred not to walk home! Will see if a 1000 mile holiday drive is enough to charge it up, because it seems the 80mile round trips we do every couple of weeks plus school runs is not enough...

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 5008 is just 3 months old and start/stop seems to be willing to work but it's the first thing i do when i get in the car, to turn it off! It's not only annoying for me, but I've also read that it's killing the engine (especially diesel engines with their pressurised common rail), it just exists for environmental reasons. I just wanted to mention that i live in Cyprus and during high temperatures it becomes off by itself with the correct orange sign and if u try to turn it on, it gives an alert that the external temperature is high, and it becomes enabled when the temperature goes down (orange sign goes away) so i don't know if it's normal as some people here get the green light but the system is disabled. That would probably be some kind of fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 5008 is just 3 months old and start/stop seems to be willing to work but it's the first thing i do when i get in the car, to turn it off! It's not only annoying for me, but I've also read that it's killing the engine (especially diesel engines with their pressurised common rail), it just exists for environmental reasons. I just wanted to mention that i live in Cyprus and during high temperatures it becomes off by itself with the correct orange sign and if u try to turn it on, it gives an alert that the external temperature is high, and it becomes enabled when the temperature goes down (orange sign goes away) so i don't know if it's normal as some people here get the green light but the system is disabled. That would probably be some kind of fault.
The salesman I took it up with told me that while it doesn't work all the time, at least it helps out the car in the lowest class of EU emissions classification. I'm sure when they test the cars the manufacturers make sure the battery is charged to the max. Probably even Fitbit with a non-standard or super expensive battery.

Apparently the scaremongering about the effects of stop start on the motor and especially the starter motor are (these days at least) comletely bogus. That's partly why they don't activate all the time, the stars have to align before they activate to ensure no engine wear and much more resilient parts are fitted that can withstand the multiple starts. That's why it costs a little extra to have it I presume (model and market dependent).

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The stop / start system does automatically disable itself if the outside temperature is to high / low depending on the cabin temperature & how the climate control system is set.

The system will renenable itself once temperature conditions are suitable for stop / start operation again.

The orange warning light on the button & temperature message means the stop / start system has disabled itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The stop / start system does automatically disable itself if the outside temperature is to high / low depending on the cabin temperature & how the climate control system is set.

The system will renenable itself once temperature conditions are suitable for stop / start operation again.

The orange warning light on the button & temperature message means the stop / start system has disabled itself.
Mine doesn't work when it's 0, 10, 20, 30+ degrees outside - whether from cold start or after an hour's driving, even with air con off, heating off, radio off, lights off.

Peugeot said that's completely normal due to mysterious engine management systems going on in the background. The next time it was due to low mileage.

That's despite everything working six months, including a harsh winter driving short trips in the dark.witb the heating on high.

Basically Peugeot have a godawful system that just stops working properly after a few months and they don't know how to fix it. So they blame it on stuff you can't disprove or on the way you drive the car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Not sure why do you even bother with this, it's annoying and bad for engine. I always turn it off, especially since I drive automatic, it turns off the engine all the time.

Anyway, most of the time, bad battery is the cause of the system not working.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

·
3,469 Posts
Mine doesn't work when it's 0, 10, 20, 30+ degrees outside - whether from cold start or after an hour's driving, even with air con off, heating off, radio off, lights off.

Peugeot said that's completely normal due to mysterious engine management systems going on in the background. The next time it was due to low mileage.

That's despite everything working six months, including a harsh winter driving short trips in the dark.witb the heating on high.

Basically Peugeot have a godawful system that just stops working properly after a few months and they don't know how to fix it. So they blame it on stuff you can't disprove or on the way you drive the car.
This has been covered many times and It is a poor system....and a waste of time trying to make it work

·
Registered
35 Posts
My car does this and I put it down to the nature of the journeys we make. They're mostly short and hence the battery isn't always getting the charge it needs for stop/start to work.

Consequently, I usually turn it off.

You could try buying a charger yourself and keep it topped up?

Annoyingly, the feature doesn't stay switched off after an engine switch off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts