Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Has anyone changed the varriator hub and is it a particularly difficult job? My Peugeot 407 2.2 Sport has just been diagnosed with a defective variator hub. Which to be honest has annoyed me a lot. The car has only covered 25500miles - serviced when required (No the cambelt hasn't been changed) so to have a defect like this questions peugeots reliability. I have been quoted a repair for around £800 - the cost of the variator hub is around £450.
Any advice? :mad:

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Parts don't just wear out with miles AGE plays a part too you don't actually say how old the car is.

Variator hub failure is common on all cars when it goes on an audi v8 it will cost you £2000 !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My peugeot is a late 2006 and serviced accordingly - please embelish upon how age has an impact on a piece of machinery expected to deliver 100000+ miles?

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Because that piece of machinery you refer to is now 8 years old and in normal use ie average miles it would have done OVER 100000 miles.

Your timing belt is also due because of age NOT miles.

The fact your car has low miles does not mean nothing should wear out sorry but that is a fact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you personal opinion, but the varriator hub is a mechanical piece of equipment designed for a significantly more amount of miles than it has covered - it would be expected to be driven a significant more revolutions etc than it has (Peugeot agree on this) regardless of the cambelt not being replaced. You do understand the difference don’t you? But thank you for taking the time to reply! (Sorry about that fact)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi all,
Has anyone changed the varriator hub and is it a particularly difficult job? My Peugeot 407 2.2 Sport has just been diagnosed with a defective variator hub. Which to be honest has annoyed me a lot. The car has only covered 25500miles - serviced when required (No the cambelt hasn't been changed) so to have a defect like this questions peugeots reliability. I have been quoted a repair for around £800 - the cost of the variator hub is around £450.
Any advice? :mad:
Haynes Manual would be a good starting point :)

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Thanks for you personal opinion, but the varriator hub is a mechanical piece of equipment designed for a significantly more amount of miles than it has covered - it would be expected to be driven a significant more revolutions etc than it has (Peugeot agree on this) regardless of the cambelt not being replaced. You do understand the difference don’t you? But thank you for taking the time to reply! (Sorry about that fact)
With 30 years experience in motor trade yes I do understand.

Im not saying the lack of belt change is the reason just pointing out that the low miles is not a reason to not change it.

I also understand that things do wear prematurely and nothing is guaranteed to last x miles or y years.

When Toyota were launching the lexus brand and the LS400 in particular they spent immense amounts of money and time on research and they very nearly got the car perfect but 25 years on the things they got wrong are well known the front suspension caused issues with worn upper arms and the dash clocks suffered from bad joints internally but the car genuinely IS the most reliable car you can buy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyhow, its a hydraulic piece, a 2006 with low miles and if i understand you correctly you service on miles and not age im not sure how often the oil has been changed? And oil IS broken down with time and affected by driveing style, theres plenty of variables.

What oil is in the engine? Ive seen a brand new 406 from roughly that age (back in that day) that had poor quality oil in it causing the variator to malfunction. An older gentleman had bought the car and changed oil after owning the car for about 2 weeks, he wanted to get rid of any metal scraps that might have been left from the factory. Good idea, bad idea to buy the cheapest oil he could find.

If i understand you correctly its a 2006 that never had a cam belt change?
I would highly recommend changing the belt and the variator at the same time since its pretty much the same operation, if i remember correct you will need special tooling for the job. But if youve been to a dealer they should really have told you this alredy.

Pulling off a 8 year old cambelt to change the variator and not changing the belt in the process is close to criminal and i highly doubt a dealer would recommend doing so.

You could leave it at a shop for an engine flush + oil change, that could prolong its life.

Best regards!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m sorry, i thought you were implying that the because the cambelt hadn’t been replaced that was the reason for the varriator hub malfunctioning. I understand that any belt has a lifespan either it be use or time (Age), but in my defence the varriator hub expected lifespan should surpass 25500 miles! especially when serviced at the expected intervals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree that changing the varriator hub and not replacing the cambelt would be criminal. I have every intention of doing so. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car was serviced by a main dealer just before I bought it (Literally). I have only had the car shy of one year, covered approximately 2200 miles in that time. Just returned from my holidays and about to get it serviced (But no ones going to believe me). As someone else has pointed out I’m well aware of how short distance mileage/time is harder on the engine than long distance mileage

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I have to agree with reliable on this one. Just because a part has an expected life of x miles or years doesn't necessarily mean it will last that long. The important word in the statement is 'expected'. This is the reason why manufacturers have to give a warranty - just in case something fails unexpectedly.

Mechanical parts can be adversely affected by lack of use just as much as excessive use and if that mechanical part requires some kind of periodical attention and fails to get that attention then it will fail sooner rather than later. The hub may well have failed due to a manufacturing defect which would then be an issue to take up with the actual manufacturer rather than Peugeot who bought the item in and fitted it to the car in good faith.

I have no experience of a variator hub so have no first hand knowledge of them but I have extensive knowledge of mechanical items over a range of vastly different machinery and therefore am not surprised when something fails prematurely.

When we all get to live in Shangri-La then we can be surprised and indignant when an item fails to live up to the claims.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You also may be interested to see how the Sale of Goods Act 1979 interprets “Expectation” it protects the consumer and used in the court of law - and rightly so!
Also any manufactures warranty is only good if it surpasses that of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and I’ve never seen one that does.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
To be honest the variator hub is also called a dephaser pulley if you google dephaser pulley failure you will then understand that they can fail at low miles it does not matter about servicing or anything else its a moving part under constant strain and WILL fail at some point in its life.

More so if it is the aforementioned dephaser pulley fitted to Renaults :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts