Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Peugeot 407 SW 2.2 Petrol on a 2007 plate.
My 407 SW sometimes on starting seems to go dead but then fires up, but the time and date display gets reset to the default settings almost as if the battery had been removed or discharged.
I have checked the battery and it seems fine and my smart charger does not produce any codes indicating that the battery has a problem.
I kept a log of 24 starts in all weather conditions and this happened twice.
Any thoughts from the forum on how to follow up on this?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a Peugeot 407 SW 2.2 Petrol on a 2007 plate.
My 407 SW sometimes on starting seems to go dead but then fires up, but the time and date display gets reset to the default settings almost as if the battery had been removed or discharged.
I have checked the battery and it seems fine and my smart charger does not produce any codes indicating that the battery has a problem.
I kept a log of 24 starts in all weather conditions and this happened twice.
Any thoughts from the forum on how to follow up on this?
Sounds like the battery voltage drops below whatever level is needed to retain settings.
What does daash indicators / interior lights do when it fails to start? dim or not?

When you say "seems to go dead but then fires up" do you mean starts up on second/third turning of the key, or is this all one single turn of the key?
Any cranking movement at all? Slower than normal?

Have you had the battery load tested?

Could be a starter issue, maybe jamming and drawing excessive amounts of current if lights dim.
Or failure to fully insert into the gears, solenoid not closing the circuit for power to the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mtempsch,

Thank you for your swift response, it is appreciated.

When I have the issue I keep the key turned and the engine fires up.

I did not notice any dimming of lights only the display dimming.

I think that you are absolutely correct in that this is something to do with the starting circuit dropping the voltage to cause the time/date to reset.

I will get the battery tested for load and if that it alright then I will have my garage here in Maidenhead have a look at the starter solenoid and starter motor to see if there is an issue in that area.

Again thanks for this assistance it is very much appreciated.

Regards John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all,

I took my 407 to Mr T's in Maidenhead and they checked out the charging and starting circuits and diagnosed a battery that had a problem under load. so a new battery has resolved the issue as the original had done 96750 miles.
Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts