Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
needed a bit of work done on my 2010 407 2.0 hdi . 2 x cv boots, 1 x cv joint, 2 x skf frip/ bottom ball joints. topped gearbox oil with 1 litre 75w/80 . all sorted and back on the road. new tyres( goodyear) with noise rating of 68. jobs all done at the same time. now I have a noisy car when driving. on some roads it is quieter than on other roads. front end seems tight enough with steering spot on. doesn't seem like wheel bearings as noise doesn't alter when cornering. suspension seems a bit noisy on rough tarmac. tried swapping tyres from rear, they made it worse. cannot get my head around it. different people telling me different things. bottom hub bush, intermediate driveshaft bearing etc. help please, its doing my head in.:mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
flew through its m.o.t. yesterday but noise and rumble still there. going to try the bottom hub bushes next, if I can work out how to make a bush puller. steering is great, suspension feels a bit bumpy. Ah well, see how it gets on.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi,
I've had a similar situation.
Changed a FRIP joint and wheel bearings (both were buggered) and the driveshaft bearing but still I'm sure it's noisier than it should be.

However, I hit a brand new piece of tarmac on the M5 and it was perfectly silent! It seems that some surfaces really upset it. Drop links are next on my agenda.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done the drop links, what a job. Both sides needed me to get the grinder out. 3 hours in total. Aching all the next day. Changed loads of these on previous cars but this one, nightmare. One minute I am plumping for bearings, next day I am thinking of something else. On new Tarmac it is quiet but it also seems that there is something suspension related. May plump for new hubs if I can't get it right. Turning not a money pit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a similar problem on a Ford Focus estate a few years ago. All the symptoms the same. Changed the wishbones and the car was great again. Different suspension set up though. The bottom ball joint on the focus, which was part of the wishbone was the culprit then. I don't like the set up on the Peugeot with the frip joint. A blind man could tell that it is a weak point. Worked on cars for over 35 years doing my own repairs and also picking the brains of others but this one is pissing me off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny thing happened yesterday. Working in the car, it's a taxi, and decided to give it a bit of welly going over a few bumps. Thought it would help me decide which way to go with the car. Been thinking all day about the problem. Hey presto, no rough ride, hardly any road noise. Car smooth again. Now I knew what it was. The middle bush on the wishbone had moved in its mount causing the wishbone to move about. It couldn't pop right out as it is bolted in but enough movement to give me the problems. Later on after going over yet more speed bumps. The noise reappeared and went and reappeared again. Not messing about with a new bush though. Going to get a pair of wishbones, good oe ones and fit them. Seems like a big weight shifted now. Let you know when I have done the job and the results but I am convinced that I have cracked it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Result! But how did you diagnose wishbone bushes?
remembered my ford focus problems. very similar symptoms . had the wishbones changed by a garage and watched them do it. easy job. decided to give it a blast over the speed bumps and around bends to either make it or break it . just confirmed what I was thinking after ruling other parts out one by one. never rush into anything, its worth having a good think and really analyzing the symptoms. it seems that the centre wishbone bush is worn and lifted in its hole/cup. although the bush is bolted down and through the middle of the bush, the edge of the bush, metal casing was sticking up slightly on the top of the wishbone. obviously the rubber inside has weakened so I could either replace the bush or get new arms. ordered the arms now and I will re-bush the old ones and use next time if I need to or sell on . I do about 40000 miles a year over a lot of speed bumps where I work so , seems like a plan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
by the way, just because there is no play in the front wheel side to side doesn't rule out the wishbone bush. my car went through a thorough taxi test and passed with flying colours. there is no side to side movement in my wheels and that was what was doing my head in. when the bush does move though, that is when it alters the toe in/out resulting in more road noise and the rumbling effect of the cars suspension.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine MOTd with a duff wheel bearing and knackered bottom ball joint and it wasn't a favour!
The testers at the council garage are not prone to missing things and they defo do not do any favours. Brand new cars have failed the test in the past. I'd rather have it safe anyway.

·
Registered
168 Posts
needed a bit of work done on my 2010 407 2.0 hdi . 2 x cv boots, 1 x cv joint, 2 x skf frip/ bottom ball joints. topped gearbox oil with 1 litre 75w/80 . all sorted and back on the road. new tyres( goodyear) with noise rating of 68. jobs all done at the same time. now I have a noisy car when driving. on some roads it is quieter than on other roads. front end seems tight enough with steering spot on. doesn't seem like wheel bearings as noise doesn't alter when cornering. suspension seems a bit noisy on rough tarmac. tried swapping tyres from rear, they made it worse. cannot get my head around it. different people telling me different things. bottom hub bush, intermediate driveshaft bearing etc. help please, its doing my head in.:mad:
When you said you swapped the tyres over, from front to rear did you check for blocking as if it makes it worse blocking or saw toothing usually happens to rears first ,feel the tyres on the inner edges or inner third if it is uneven ie one grip is slightly higher or lower than the other that will be your noise ,it happened on my vectra.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When you said you swapped the tyres over, from front to rear did you check for blocking as if it makes it worse blocking or saw toothing usually happens to rears first ,feel the tyres on the inner edges or inner third if it is uneven ie one grip is slightly higher or lower than the other that will be your noise ,it happened on my vectra.
What is the cause of the 'blocky'/sawtooth edge? (What setting or structural fault?).

Mine is present on the OUTER edge of the rear tyres.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What is the cause of the 'blocky'/sawtooth edge? (What setting or structural fault?).

Mine is present on the OUTER edge of the rear tyres.
Different things can cause it, I posted a link below ,its a bit long winded but may help,I will also add though I have not had it again on my vectra since changing my tyre tread design from blocks to the more solid curve tread design if you know what I mean?

Diagnosing Irregular Wear - Tire Review Magazine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Goodyear tyres that were on the back are wearing pretty even but are noted to get noisy as the tread reduces and the tyre gets older. When I put them on the front it just amplified the noise. When the wishbone bush is sat properly in its seat the new Goodyear tyres are very quiet. I am going to put new wishbones on and then put the old tyres on the front and the new ones on the rear. They will give me 60000 m plus on the rear.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Done the drop links, what a job. Both sides needed me to get the grinder out. 3 hours in total. Aching all the next day.
What made it so awful? Difficulty getting the bolts off the old links? I was hoping it would be straightforward, provided you remember to use a drift so that the strut doesn't slip out of place.

I'd rather have it safe anyway.
Zacly. I always tell him to be ruthless, but irritatingly it passed with the mystery rumble. Although one year I failed on side repeater not orange enough which I thought was taking the piss.

when the bush does move though, that is when it alters the toe in/out resulting in more road noise and the rumbling effect of the cars suspension.
So is it Part 8 that's the culprit?
Looks like it's about £50 for a complete wishbone with bushes.
(I failed to get the wishbone off the bottom of the suspension leg when I failed to change a FRIP joint -- couldn't get the weight off it and didn't want to just bash it out in case I couldn't get it back together.)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts