Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello does anybody know what size thread would be needed to helicoil flywheel bolts? Brother in law was replacing clutch and flywheel and flywheel bolts pulled straight out so will need helicoiling but dont know what size the threads are on the bolts

The car is a 2005 2.0

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If it is the pressure-plate bolts they should be M8x1.25.
I wouldn't think a helicoiled thread would make it any weaker by significance, but I don't have any first hand experience of helicoilding these kind of threads.

The flywheel to crankshaft bolts are M9x1.0. Not the most common thread size one could say :)

Make sure to use threadlock on them as if they are not sealed off you'll probably get oil leaking from them.

Edit: a different approach could be to get M10x1.0 bolts and tap up the old threads to match. Would possibly require slight opening of the holes in the flywheel also though.
This guy at least seem to sell M10x1.0 bolts of length 20mm and 25mm. Orginal ones are 22mm long.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-M8-M10-Hexagon-Head-Bolts-Hex-Screws-Metric-Fine-Pitch-Thread-Grade-12-9-/171949857261?var=&hash=item28090299ed:m:mDSPCT6giHouQYquMc9z4Bw

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I would have to agree with mr lee helicoiling the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank would not fill me with confidence as it is a part under constant strain both rotation and pressure and you need to drill the holes slightly bigger to heli them and this could further weaken the crank to a point where the flywheel could fall off.

Its unlikely BUT it is a possibility i would not like to find out :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would have to agree with mr lee helicoiling the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank would not fill me with confidence as it is a part under constant strain both rotation and pressure and you need to drill the holes slightly bigger to heli them and this could further weaken the crank to a point where the flywheel could fall off.

Its unlikely BUT it is a possibility i would not like to find out :)
As a Machinist I would say Inserts from the reverse side made of a suitable Material would do the Job but a Second Hand flywheel would be a cheaper option Unless you have Access to a machine shop with the Equipment
Sorry just thought not cover to flywheel end of crankshaft that is bad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts