Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peugeot 407 - Depollution System Faulty

406K views 71 replies 38 participants last post by  Gibbo 
#1 ·
Has anybody experienced any problems with the 407 with regard to diagnostic fault reading 'Depollution System Faulty'?

Local dealer clears the fault but seems unable to fix the problem as it reappears quite regularly.

#5 ·
my 407 petrol

I bought my 407 8 months ago its a petrol 2.0l sport ive had a clutch and gearbox due to both failing,2 front hubs done under warenty due to failure,a electric power steering pump changed due to failure and now my car is back in the garage because the depollution system is affecting my engine managment ive had a new accelerator peddle with all the sensers fitted so the car wont go into limpo mode when it breaks down and now im waiting for peugeot france to to help peugeot manchester in fixing my depollution system when pluged in the car shows a multitude of problams that peugeot were only to quick to erase saying the faults were to random to be faults its all to do with the depollution system please can someone tell me this is normal and i havent made the biggest mistake of my life in buying a peugeot?:mad:

#6 ·
De pollution system faulty- My experience

davidcallaghan said:
Has anybody experienced any problems with the 407 with regard to diagnostic fault reading 'Depollution System Faulty'?

Local dealer clears the fault but seems unable to fix the problem as it reappears quite regularly.
I had this fault on my 2004 Peugeot 407 (2.2se auto petrol)
Looked at a few forums and someone suggested that it could be "cheap" supermarket fuel.

Due to the current high fuel prices I was filling up mainly in Sainsbury's.
After reading about the issue in a forum I went to Esso and found the problem to instantly disappear. Please note this could be totaly coincidental but this was my experience- so I am not going to fill up in Sainsbury/Morrisons/etc again!
:cool:

#7 ·
wzamir said:
I had this fault on my 2004 Peugeot 407 (2.2se auto petrol)
Looked at a few forums and someone suggested that it could be "cheap" supermarket fuel.

Due to the current high fuel prices I was filling up mainly in Sainsbury's.
After reading about the issue in a forum I went to Esso and found the problem to instantly disappear. Please note this could be totaly coincidental but this was my experience- so I am not going to fill up in Sainsbury/Morrisons/etc again!
:cool:

#8 ·
Peugeot 407 Depollution system failure

My 407 has this problem at present. Depollution system failure alarm initiated at the same time as engine lost power, felt like it was only firing on 3 cylinders. Took car to Peugeot dealer in Kilmarnock who after connecting Diagnostic equipment (£55) agreed it was only firing on 3 cylinders. Then carried out a repair (6" of insulation tape & a cable tie, as wire had burnt thru insulation (another £53)). Guess what happened the next day, yes you guessed it the depollution alarm re-initiated.....

#11 ·
greenep said:
Hi Mickyboy,

I have the same loss of power/depollution error message occuring. Was it obvious that the fuel filter housing was cracked, could I tell by looking at it or is it worth changing it anyway before I put the car into the garage?

Cheers.
after a long process my mechanic and I seem to have found a solution to the depollution system faulty problem. Remove the particulate filter and soak it in TFR fluid overnight. Jetwash out and dry with airline. Replace fuel filter. Engine management light goe`s out
after 6 engine starts. Main dealers fob you off. If the housing is cracked
someone has cracked it

#12 ·
engine management light cheaper fix than stealers

Hi if any of you are having problems with your peugeot and dont want to pay main dealer prices for fix , or want to be able to repair your self , i have the latest main dealer software and can clear fault codes , add additive, perform regeneration etc, etc , i am based in derbyshire and can be contacted on 07970241735, have 15 years experience working at peugeot .

#13 ·
Hamido

I got my 407 in 2006 and i have been facing some problems with it, the latest is the Depollution System Faulty thing, i took it to the dealer and they said that they changed the Plugs and most probably its because the plugs are not working fine, 2 days after i took the car back, the same message appeared and sometimes I have to keep on pressing on the fuel peddle without the car accelarating....Today i took the car back to the local dealer and they are still checking it...

G
#14 ·
What engine do you have? If it's petrol (hence changing plugs?) it's likely the EGR. Preety common on the 2 litre.

If it's a diseasel, changing the glowplugs sometimes help. The HDi's are low compression and don't use the plugs much but they're required during the regenerative cycle to raise the engine temperature and sometimes replacing the glow plugs does cure the problem, especially on the 1.6.

#15 ·
chopper1192 said:
What engine do you have? If it's petrol (hence changing plugs?) it's likely the EGR. Preety common on the 2 litre.

If it's a diseasel, changing the glowplugs sometimes help. The HDi's are low compression and don't use the plugs much but they're required during the regenerative cycle to raise the engine temperature and sometimes replacing the glow plugs does cure the problem, especially on the 1.6.

its Petrol 2 litre...but can you please explain what is the EGR? I believe the dealer has no idea whats going on with the car, and i found many people on the net are facing the same issue...maybe i can explain it.
Thanks.

G
#16 ·
Exhaust gas recirculation unit. It takes a small amount of exhaust gases and feeds them back into the inlet so they're burned twice, thus reducing emissions. When they pack up they cause lumpy, rough and hesitant running. I've come across it a few times on the 2 litre. I'd say it's the prime candidate.

#17 ·
I have the warning on all the time. Has been produced by a fuel injector faulty (2.0 petrol). When repairing that I disabled the EGR by blanking and it has improved acceleration, fuel consumption slightly higher around town. The code is on even after clearing. Emissions OK for MOT. If it is a suspected EGR problem, you could try fitting a blanking plate to disable it, need to make it yourself. My experience is that on petrol it won't harm, but dunno what it'll do for diesel models.
I think this warning and the equivalent fault reading on diag. (0400??) aren't much help with diagnosis.

#18 ·
Depollution system faulty

The 'Depollution system faulty' (Diesel engines) is caused by the ECU detecting a greater than allowed difference in exhaust gas pressure either side of the depollution filter. The engine will go into 'Limp home' mode, i.e. little power over 2,000 rpm. It is most likely that the depollution filter is blocked.

The fix is to remove the filter and clean it, or, if you are really rich, replace it. The filter is in the rear of the catalytic converter casing - take care when removing, it's made of a ceramic. If the Particle Filter Additive is working then the filter should contain only grey ash and be easy to wash out with water.

There is a good chance that a couple of doses of Redex engine cleaner will do the trick if you're too lazy for the above, I was.

#20 · (Edited)
EGR blanking? And other faults!

Hi,

I have a 2.0L SE petrol 407 which has a lumpy running engine when cold, that's then fine once warmed up. Is blanking off the EGR the first thing I should try?

I also get random errors such as depollution system faulty (although passed MOT and has brand new lambda sensors!), rear stop light faulty (No that also is working fine!), Indicator control faulty (Again that works fine), Indicator bulb fault (Again fine). Speed control system faulty (cannot use cruise control or speed limiter). Automatic gearbox faulty error, but changes gear fine but jumpy. Once it's warm it's all fine, 3 to 6 engine starts later all faults disappear, cruise control works and gearbox changes smoothly!

Amongst a plethora of other faults and the fact that I need to replace the front ball joints every 12 months, I have to say this is the worst car I've every bought. The Peugeot garage down the road want to charge me £4000 to fix everything, the cars only worth £4800! I was hasty to exit when they started talking about trade in's for a new one with £1500 knocked off the price!

They can go ram it up themselves!

#21 ·
DanRiches said:
Hi,

I have a 2.0L SE petrol 407 [...] rear stop light faulty (No that also is working fine!), [...]
Can't lay my hands on it at the moment, but somewhere on the forum there's a thread containing information on the relationship between a faulty rear light and various random messages appearing. IIRC, it's a question of the earth on the rear light.

#22 ·
Engine lumpy when cold, should I clean the EGR???

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response, but the brake light and indicator light faults are recent. The engine running lumpy when idle is still ongoing from a good 8+ months ago. What I really want to know is whether cleaning the EGR valve is a more likely solution to the engine running issue. Other things like the lights, which are all working, can be sorted out later.

The main problem is that the car is dangerous to drive while cold as I could be pulling out onto a roundabout and the engine either stutters or konks out, leaving me in the path of oncoming vehicles! I was almost involved in an accident just the other day because of this pile of crap car and the idiots at the dealership that can't figure out what the problem is!

Sorry to sound pee'd off but this car could cost my job and possibly my life, and all the dealership wants to do is sell me another car or charge the earth to put it right. So far I've spent over £400 and it still doesn't run properly. I drive a french kangaroo to work in the morning and it's grrrrr!!!!!

Please anyone any more help?????

#24 ·
Engine - Depollution fault warning

I have a 407 MY07 -2.0ltr Diesel. Car has only done 22000km and the engine periodically stops (becomming more frequent). It doesnt matter if you are moving or idling. When it happens you get a "depollution system faulty" warning. This warning will reset after the 4th start.
The engine has not to date stopped while this warning is shown. Once it resets the engine will stop/cough at random times. Any ideas?

#25 · (Edited)
ECU Faults and more

Had my 407 2.0 HDi SW 56 reg 46 K on the clock for 1 month and had the following faults:
1. No AC.
2. Faulty Fuel Cap Cover needing new sensor.
3. Wrongly adjusted rear window.
4. No heat driver’s side.
5. Spurious Fog light warning but they are fine.
On Tuesday of this week ECU light came on all the time, no turbo, missing on one or more cylinders and down to 38 mpg on long run, was 42 mpg around town.
Going in tomorrow to the Peugot Dealer in Blackpool, for 3 days to have 1, 2, 4 and the ECU fault fixed. Will let you know how it went on Friday
:mad:

#28 ·
:)
Had my 407 2.0 HDi SW 56 reg 46 K on the clock for 1 month and had the following faults:
1. No AC.
2. Faulty Fuel Cap Cover needing new sensor.
3. Wrongly adjusted rear window.
4. No heat driver’s side.
5. Spurious Fog light warning but they are fine.
On Tuesday of this week ECU light came on all the time, no turbo, missing on one or more cylinders and down to 38 mpg on long run, was 42 mpg around town.
Going in tomorrow to the Peugot Dealer in Blackpool, for 3 days to have 1, 2, 4 and the ECU fault fixed. Will let you know how it went on Friday
:mad:
Hi everyone, Back again with car that is running smoothly.
No 1 was associated with a vacuum valve that needed replacing.
No 2 New sensor fitted.
No 3 was fixed a week ago, bad adjustment of the connector rods.
No 4 was a recall but the car had not been recalled and it involved some extended fingures, he said.
No 5 was a computer update.
The rest were due to a computer problem that the update fixed. I have read in this formum that this type or problem fixes itself but only if there is no resident fault, like No 2. That's why the Ipswich man said it would put itself right on the 3rd or 4th start up.
No charge as covered by warranty.
Wonder why the recall had not been implemented before they sold the car to me. Perhaps the hoped that the new owner would be too timid to complain.
Had a mad dash on the motorway and drives like it should.:lol:
Let's hope it works fine now!
Pleasant people to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.