·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road Test
Peugeot 407 Coup? 2.7 V6 HDi GT

We Beg To Differ

by David Finlay (28 Mar 06)

During my time with the 407 Coup? HDi I happened to read what two other motoring writers had to say about the same car. Now, a road test is a personal opinion, which is why you should always read several of them rather than accepting what one of us says as gospel

Even so, it was difficult to believe that we were all dealing with the same subject. In these reviews, the Coup?'s shape was heavily criticised, its performance was described as "plodding" and there was reference to "steady-as-she-goes handling". Well, I mean to say, what?

I do not have an automatic love of Peugeot. When I'm gone, nobody who takes the trouble to look will find the lion badge engraved on my heart. I think some Peugeots are great (the 807) and I think other Peugeots are terrible (the 1007), and I will defend one and attack the other with equal robustness. But surely you would have to be a stolid, unemotional sort of fellow not to appreciate the way Pininfarina has turned a reasonably attractive saloon car into the delightful combination of aggression and feminine grace you see here.

If you've been paying close attention over the past few weeks, you'll know that this is not the first time we've tried out the Coup? in this top-of-the-range form. A previous road test has already been published on the basis of a fairly short drive. This one comes from a week's experience behind the wheel, but nothing that happened during that time has led me to revise my opinions of the performance and handling to match those of my distant colleagues.

There are, admittedly, quicker coup?s on the market. The 205bhp 2.7-litre V6 turbo diesel engine - that splendid result of a co-operative effort by Ford and PSA Peugeot Citroen - can't shrug off the weight of the car, though it does produce enough straightline speed to be a match for the alternative (and cheaper) three-litre petrol V6 in real-world conditions
The diesel may, however, make the 407 quicker than it seems. It's remarkably quiet, with an almost total absence of the usual underbonnet clattering noises which would give a clearer impression that serious work was being done. The HDi's standard six-speed automatic transmission (supplied by Japanese company Aisin) is a splendid piece of kit, too, and again its marvellously smooth and efficient gearchanges might just be helping to mask the car's performance.

Handling? Well, now. There's a button on the dash which lets you firm up the suspension and make the Coup? more nimble round corners, but I never had the least inclination to use it. On the normal settings, this is a nicely-balanced car, and during one late-night run in particular - on roads I shall not identify and at speeds I do not propose to discuss - it joined one corner to the next to the one after that in a way I found relaxing and enjoyable.
This is quite an achievement considering the car's layout. Thanks to the positioning of its engine (large diesel, therefore heavy) and transmission (large automatic, ditto), most of the overall weight bears down on the front tyres, which would have every reason to object. And yet they don't.

source:http://www.carkeys.co.uk/road_test/peugeot/9076.asp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought a 407 2.7 coupe SE with a few added extras - 10 miles on the clock - so time to go and sus it out :)

got it for £20k - brand new car - bargain ?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a new one as well and have driven at least 6 other 407 coupes on various test drives, on each occasion I have found that the pulling away from stationary to say 30MPH is awful, the only way I can get this car to move is to put my foot on the brake and rev the engine then release the brake only then will this car perform. Have I got something wrong, does any one else have this problem. Sometimes it will pull away ok and others I have been sitting on roundabouts waiting for someone to drive into me before the car moves.

Other wise the kickdown is excelent in normal use and performs far better than my expectations

·
Registered
862 Posts
keith278 said:
I have a new one as well and have driven at least 6 other 407 coupes on various test drives, on each occasion I have found that the pulling away from stationary to say 30MPH is awful, the only way I can get this car to move is to put my foot on the brake and rev the engine then release the brake only then will this car perform. Have I got something wrong, does any one else have this problem. Sometimes it will pull away ok and others I have been sitting on roundabouts waiting for someone to drive into me before the car moves.

Other wise the kickdown is excelent in normal use and performs far better than my expectations

Have driven a couple myself,found the exact problem you describe,there was nothing wrong electricaly or mechanically,honestly dont know what this particular problem is down to..............yet.

the one possibility that does come to mind is that the shear weight of this car is not helping,the engine and the gearbox are the heaviest i have encountered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts