Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

**NOW FIXED** Car started ok leaving Blackburn on Sunday, got to Wigan and on the way back, got a problem, it will not start, will not turn, we called the AA, who wouldn't really help as they got the car started from the start-motor solenoid and said that is as far as they go on a basic cover policy through the bank, would not put do any diagnostic system on for us.

We begged him to find the problem and he did test the battery few other basic things and left saying there is a fault with the wiring between ignition collum and the starter motor.

Checked the car myself today and found it was in some sort of hibernation mode, wouldn't start, windows wouldn't roll down, internal lighting not working. etc.. etc..

Looked at the 30amp fuses as per another thread, but they all seem fine. the battery didn't have the yellow lit on it, it is sealed battery, where you cannot check or top up the water level. not sure if it's causing the problem or not.

Thankfully, it will roll start, lucky we live on a hill and starts pritty effortlessly, but cannot turn it off anywhere else, before going for any expensive diagnosis's, want some help from anyone.

Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi there,

Car started ok leaving Blackburn on Sunday, got to Wigan and on the way back, got a problem, it will not start, will not turn, we called the AA, who wouldn't really help as they got the car started from the start-motor solenoid and said that is as far as they go on a basic cover policy through the bank, would not put do any diagnostic system on for us.

We begged him to find the problem and he did test the battery few other basic things and left saying there is a fault with the wiring between ignition collum and the starter motor.

Checked the car myself today and found it was in some sort of hibernation mode, wouldn't start, windows wouldn't roll down, internal lighting not working. etc.. etc..

Looked at the 30amp fuses as per another thread, but they all seem fine. the battery didn't have the yellow lit on it, it is sealed battery, where you cannot check or top up the water level. not sure if it's causing the problem or not.

Thankfully, it will roll start, lucky we live on a hill and starts pritty effortlessly, but cannot turn it off anywhere else, before going for any expensive diagnosis's, want some help from anyone.

Thanking you in advance.
Have you put a meter across the battery terminals to check if it's alive. Happened to me a couple of months ago with my 407. Drove it previous day OK. Next day battery completely dead.
Malcolm

·
5,043 Posts
yep i had an issue with my battery a couple of months ago, was only 18 months old so got it changed under warranty:cool:
need to get a meter on your battery or go to somewhere like national tyres etc who will do a free battery test and i suspect that'll be the cause of your problems

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep i had an issue with my battery a couple of months ago, was only 18 months old so got it changed under warranty:cool:
need to get a meter on your battery or go to somewhere like national tyres etc who will do a free battery test and i suspect that'll be the cause of your problems
so what the AA wrote on the job sheet is total waste of time, not usually like them.

I find the meter and test and also will change with the battery with my 307 2.0 HDI. and get back to you soon.

thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
If they stated it from the starter solenoid then it shouldn't be the battery.
Check fuse 8 in the engine bay fuse box.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumb:

thanks david.

and heads up where i can find the fuse layout, its a 2.0L HDI.
So, fuses are numbered and the 20amp fuse 8, was blown, and did start the car it was when changed, took it for spin, came back and tried to start again, and there was this loud click click and then the car did not start again, changed the fuse again and same again, click click and fuse blown again. Managed to push start it again and got it home.

Can only assume that the starter motor or the soleinoid is faulty - seems to blow when you start the car not on ignition, cant immagine any of the wiring or the ignition to be faulty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to the auto-electrician today, he was busy and all i managed to get out him, was that the bsi was faulty :eek::confused:, was trying to findout why or how much this would cost, but he was rushing to go to a emergency callout job. going back at 9pm to collect the car.

Anyone think it is worth changing the starter motor first :rolleyes:? or anything else that can be done/checked first??

regards.

·
Registered
186 Posts
First thing to do is get somebody with Peugeot Planet to do a full diag you find your nearest by looking at the map by clicking here
For a small fee they will be able to do a full diagnostics on the car and possibly locate the problem before you start throwing money on what might be the fault.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya mate got planet, just installed last night, trying to work how to use it. lol s there anything else becides ecu readings i need to check on it.

D

·
0 Posts
Went to the auto-electrician today, he was busy and all i managed to get out him, was that the bsi was faulty :eek::confused:, was trying to findout why or how much this would cost, but he was rushing to go to a emergency callout job. going back at 9pm to collect the car.

Anyone think it is worth changing the starter motor first :rolleyes:? or anything else that can be done/checked first??

regards.
The starters give trouble alright. Get it tested first. The BSI is not causing your problem.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If it was the BSI PP would throw up errors right away.
Have you checked the starter for the wires coming lose and touching the starter body.
Happened to me on a Mazda once and blew fuses like they where tictacs till I found it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
:confused:

Hiya all watching,

I've just been to him now, He did actually say to me that the engine bay fuse box is faulty - he did not elaborate much. but then he told me to get the starter replaced.

I've just put a powerprobe to the engine fuse box and there seems to be no positive power (no green light on any of the fuses, whilst the car is running)?

Cant put planet on it yet as it is still at the garage. :nono:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd say forget planet, your problem is down to a badly knackered starter or wiring. Time for some oldskool mechanics rather than asking the computer to tell you what to fix :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
thx mate, I didnt put planet on, just went head and replaced the starter motor, got a re-conditioned one for £50. Followed the the guide by david on another thread and dont the job myself. Fantastic.

1.Wait three minutes from last operation on car.
2.Disconnect the battery, both terminals.
3.Remove airbox.
4.Disconnect starter wiring (starter is located at from of engine, you can't miss it)
5.You'll need an 8mm allen key and a few spanners for leverage.
6.All there is is three 8mm allen key studs hoilding it on.

Do this job at your own peril. If you're not up to it or have tools, get someone who does.
A BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL AND DAVID IRELAND FOR YOU HELP.

One final question the temp needle not working, any help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts