Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi anybody know what mileage the cam chain needs changing on 2.0 HDI
I am changing the cam belt next week and though I would do the chain at same time if it needs it. Mileage is 220000.
Thanks

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
There is no set schedule for chain replacement but at that mileage the guide/tensioner could well be worn.

Chain replacement is a big job meaning injectors out etc

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no set schedule for chain replacement but at that mileage the guide/tensioner could well be worn.

Chain replacement is a big job meaning injectors out etc
Thanks for reply.

Getting the cam belt and fan belt done and at Peugeot garage in spain €410.
said they could do the chain at same time price for both €765.
Thought it was a good price.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thanks for reply.

Getting the cam belt and fan belt done and at Peugeot garage in spain €410.
said they could do the chain at same time price for both €765.
Thought it was a good price.
Probably be cheaper and easier to source a second hand engine from a wreck. Must be thousands of them with much much less miles/Km than 220000!!

Grumpy

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
When i was fixing taxis we seen plenty with over 400k miles on them and i guarantee you some of those are STILL going !

Turbos on the RHW engine which is older version of this engine would fail at around 350k miles we had a fleet of 10 to look after and all failed at same mileage but ALL were still running when i left on their original engines and were at the 400k mark then

The newer ones with the rhk/rhr type engine would need rockers at around 180k due to wear but do them and they are good for another 180k ! these engines can do big miles IF LOOKED AFTER.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The newer ones with the rhk/rhr type engine would need rockers at around 180k due to wear but do them and they are good for another 180k ! these engines can do big miles IF LOOKED AFTER.
Would you wait for a failure to replace the rockers or just get it done while doing the cambelt around 200k??

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
We had a few go around 180k as did others so we just done them anywhere around there when any other work needed done bear in mind we are talking taxis getting a hard life and idling a lot so if measured more accurately in hours ran then they would have been over 180k in real terms but they were generally in need of replacement as they will wear down and can actually push the cap down on the valve leading to a dropped valve.

Its not a quick job though as injectors need to come out to get rocker covers off to enable replacement.

On a side note i just checked 1 of our old taxis and mileage is now at 250k first mot mileage was recorded as 115k but we sold it at 360k so it now has 500k miles on it at least!

someone was economical with speedo readings :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts