Peugeot Forums banner

Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI Automatic, engine runs fine. Wont drive or reverse

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Andreas Pihl 
#1 ·
Our Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI Automatic is having some problems. My dad was driving the car on the highway when suddenly the car went out of gear and wouldn't drive anymore. We got it towed home and I put an OBD tester on it, it throws the codes: P1351, P0470, and P1461. But I think the problem is gearbox related but those codes aren't.

The car had a problem where when the car was cold the gearbox would change gear from 1st to 2nd very harshly.

But now the car won't move an inch either in reverse or 1st gear, but the display shows that the car is in gear and the engine revs and is running fine.

#2 ·
Check both driveshafts sometimes the inner section on the long one strips its splines depending on what box it is but if shafts are ok then sounds like an internal gearbox issue or its lost all its fluid once oil goes down it will loose drive

#3 ·
The codes are all engine related.

I think it is a transmission fluid problem.
On the top of the gearbox there is a filler plug, you cant mis it. You need to remove the airfilter to see it. Unscrew the filler plug. Fill 0,5 l atf. Screw the filler plug back in. Start the car, see if it works. If it works you need to the car for a spin. The atf needs to be at running temp. for the next step.
You need to be able to get under the car.
There is a drainplug on the underside of the gearbox. In the center of the drainplug there is a level plug, you need to remove that. carefull cause you dont want the whole drainplug out. put something underneath to collect aft. If atf is spilling let it drain. Put the plug back in. If not repeat until atf is spilling.

Hope it is understandable:)

If this does’nt fix the problem. It is mosg likely the gearbox control unit. That can be bought at a salvageyard.

Cheers

#4 ·
The codes are all engine related.

I think it is a transmission fluid problem.
On the top of the gearbox there is a filler plug, you cant mis it. You need to remove the airfilter to see it. Unscrew the filler plug. Fill 0,5 l atf. Screw the filler plug back in. Start the car, see if it works. If it works you need to the car for a spin. The atf needs to be at running temp. for the next step.
You need to be able to get under the car.
There is a drainplug on the underside of the gearbox. In the center of the drainplug there is a level plug, you need to remove that. carefull cause you dont want the whole drainplug out. put something underneath to collect aft. If atf is spilling let it drain. Put the plug back in. If not repeat until atf is spilling.

Hope it is understandable:)

If this does’nt fix the problem. It is mosg likely the gearbox control unit. That can be bought at a salvageyard.

Cheers
Thanks a lot! I will take a look at it. Is there any specific ATF I need to use?

#11 ·
Our Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI Automatic is having some problems. My dad was driving the car on the highway when suddenly the car went out of gear and wouldn't drive anymore. We got it towed home and I put an OBD tester on it, it throws the codes: P1351, P0470, and P1461. But I think the problem is gearbox related but those codes aren't.

The car had a problem where when the car was cold the gearbox would change gear from 1st to 2nd very harshly.

But now the car won't move an inch either in reverse or 1st gear, but the display shows that the car is in gear and the engine revs and is running fine.
Hi.
The problem you are talking about is the automatic gearbox.
You must check the oil level. Oil change recommended.
If you change the oil, you can't get 100%, only 40% comes out.
There are 2 types of automatic gearboxes, 4-speed or 6-speed.
If you have the 6, I recommend:
When removing the old oil, if it comes out black it indicates that it is old.
If it comes out black with strong smell bad sign.
If it comes out black and has metallic residue, a bad sign.

To change the oil, you must follow a procedure and you need the Diagbox / pp2000 tool.
I have the manual but it is in Spanish and I don't think it will work for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.