3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

My 406 is definitely improving, I've:
* Had the coils replaced and the oil leak fixed
* Had the heater core replaced
* fixed the re-circulation flap servo
* Had an engine mount replaced

The car is now a pleasure to drive, although there are only two on-going niggles which I haven't yet solved:

The heater is still insane. While idling ind the driveway, the heater responds to touching the temperature buttons very well. As soon as I go for a drive, the heater cycles through its full range of temperatures all of the time, and that is from 14 degrees to 30 degrees. I am starting to think that there is a voltage regulation issue coming into play here, but I don't know where to look. I connected a meter across the temperature sensor that usually sits at the lower left front of the heater unit, and the voltage varies with temperature exactly as expected. The control system doesn't seem to be taking any notice of this. Where is the control system?

I'd love to hear from anyone whom has any experience of this or similar issues, as I am willing to get in and try a few things. Especially before next summer.

The second issue is the message on the dash and a beep indicating "ESR not operating". My mechanic told me that it is the switch on the dash, and they are hard to get. I proved that wrong, but I don't know where to look next. It isn't a big problem, but it would be nice to fix it.

Thanks

Foggy

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
ESR is another way of saying traction control I believe

Would be an idea to get it hooked up to PP2000.

Search the forum for Planet map and find a member who lives near to you who could run a diagnostic for a few beer tokens.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
There are various things that could cause this but you are not telling us the required info we dont know the age of the car what engine it has whether it is a D8 or D9 version would help

Is it automatic manual petrol diesel this is all needed to help PROPERLY and give the right info

A forum is like a database the info you get out is only good if the info put in is correct !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 406 Still Improving

Hi all,

Thanks for the many replies. I had replied earlier, but my post didn't appear to work. I can report the following:

* I have cleaned out the cabin thermostat and collection fan and it made no difference.

* I agree that ESR is traction control, and with the traffic around here, it is almost unnecessary, but I will persevere with getting rid of the warning message.
* I have researched PP2000, which I had never heard of and it appears to be very unpopular here in Australia, as it is hard to get, runs only on very old windows computers, and doesn't help much.

* The car is a 2003 V6 petrol automatic with all the automatic wipers, headlights, mirrors, seats &c. I can't find any "D" numbers for you.

So, no progress this month, but we are still on the trail of it.

Foggy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Default Peugeot 406 Gradually improving

Hi Folks,

My 406 is definitely improving, I've:
* Had the coils replaced and the oil leak fixed
* Had the heater core replaced
* fixed the re-circulation flap servo
* Had an engine mount replaced

The car is now a pleasure to drive, although there are only two on-going niggles which I haven't yet solved:

The heater is still insane. While idling ind the driveway, the heater responds to touching the temperature buttons very well. As soon as I go for a drive, the heater cycles through its full range of temperatures all of the time, and that is from 14 degrees to 30 degrees. I am starting to think that there is a voltage regulation issue coming into play here, but I don't know where to look. I connected a meter across the temperature sensor that usually sits at the lower left front of the heater unit, and the voltage varies with temperature exactly as expected. The control system doesn't seem to be taking any notice of this. Where is the control system?

I'd love to hear from anyone whom has any experience of this or similar issues, as I am willing to get in and try a few things. Especially before next summer.

The second issue is the message on the dash and a beep indicating "ESR not operating". My mechanic told me that it is the switch on the dash, and they are hard to get. I proved that wrong, but I don't know where to look next. It isn't a big problem, but it would be nice to fix it.

Thanks

Foggy

Hi All,

Thanks for the valuable contributions. Now that it is winter here is Melbourne, I don't feel very motivated to take the car apart there are other things that must be done, like sit near a fire!

I do however, have a faint trace of progress to report. My inquiries regarding the PP2000 revealed that such things are very rare here, and even the best mechanic I know told me that he uses an American diagnostic tool, as Peugeot would charge a fortune for the use of theirs.

So I found a man, who, while not being familiar with the PP2000, assured me that he would find any faults, and he did! He found reports of the Evaporator temperature sensor, and the Exterior temperature sensor. A quick ring around found the first one at a reasonable price, and the news that Peugeot cars always report a fault in the exterior temperature sensor. Must be Melbourne's weather?

So, tomorrow, I get my new evaporator temperature sensor and it gets installed. I will put up a post on the results.

Foggy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts