Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I am the proud owner of a 1991 Peugeot 405 SRi. The car has been sitting for a while and now i finally have the means of restoring it. I was wondering if there is a list of cars my PUG shares parts with. For example i was thinking of buying some 407 brake calipers and discs as an upgrade. The parts i am most interested in are: the clutch, suspension (looking for some coilovers - found some TA Technix ones but they don't seem any good), brakes.

Thank you very much for your time! Stay safe!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hi hori0010, Why do you want to alter stuff? my advice is to keep that lovely old Peugeot standard, making sure everything is in good working order.
The SRi is an upgraded 405 model and the 405 Mi16 is an upgraded SRi, and the best performing 405. Everything from a Mi16 will fit a SRi. I cant comment on fitting 407 brakes as I`ve never seen it done? When I had a Mi16 I fitted TOROX discs and pads. I doubt though that they still make them for that age of car. Shocks on those old Peugeot`s are very good, I think the Mi16 front shocks are stiffer. Front coil springs can get "tired" so a new pair would be recommended, but make sure they are O/E Peugeot 405 ones. The rear axle should be carefully inspected. The radius arm bearings can be a problem? also the large rubber sub frame mountings have been known to break.. I`ve never had a problem with 405 clutches,. As always if you replace it make sure you fit an O/E clutch kit like Luke or Verto. If you do fit a new clutch always include a new cable, as it has an auto adjustment built in.
The best guy in the UK for old Peugeot parts is Dean Hunter, www.peugeotparts.co.uk or www.serie04.com are very good. I`ve used both many times.
Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response! Your input is greatly appreciated! My goal for this car is to have a fun little street warrior that i can drive on windy roads on a sunday. So i am looking to modernise it as much as i can as i want it to be sustainable for myself and the ones that will own it after me. I am a purist myself and i would never do anything to tarnish the image this car has. It is in good hands. Also i managed to source a refurbished rear axle with new bearings and everything. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If your changing the clutch cable i advise you also replace the plastic end piece & metal clip that attaches the cable to the pedal.

The plastic end is a weak point & known to break if the pressure plate springs get stiffer due to repeated operation.

If it's the XU9J2 engine version then make sure the metal mesh has been removed from inside the oil filler cap.

Whichever version it is, if your driving it hard also remove the front grill blanking plates to aid cooling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for your response Mr Lee! I do plan on driving it hard but only after a build an engine for it. It is an XU9J2. I have a spare engine for it with 200,000 kms on it with new rings fitted at 180,000. I will swap that in for the first stage of the build so i could pass the DMV test. After that i plan on building the engine in the car. Forged pistons and rods. Lightened crank and flywheel, CAT cam, bigger injectors (if you have a suggestion, it would be great) and a Megasquirt or EcuMaster or Haltech standalone ECU. I also plan on turbocharging it. I want to run a smaller turbo on low boost in order to have great throttle response and some sort of reliability.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You can get pretty decent performance from tuning a XU9J2 without a turbo - look at 205 GTI 1.9 for ideas.

There is always possibility to swop for the MI16 - XU9J4 power unit if you could find one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The XU9J4 is brilliant for sure, but extremely hard to source around here. I have 3 XU9J2 engines, that's why i opted for it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If your changing the clutch cable i advise you also replace the plastic end piece & metal clip that attaches the cable to the pedal.
The plastic end is a weak point & known to break if the pressure plate springs get stiffer due to repeated operation.
I forgot that stupid plastic bit silly me. I should have remembered as I have replaced loads of them.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I used to keep a new plastic end & metal clip in the tool storage area in the boot just in case - luckily I never had to deploy it in either of my 405s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to keep a new plastic end & metal clip in the tool storage area in the boot just in case - luckily I never had to deploy it in either of my 405s.
I remember being like 4 years old. I was going on a holiday with my parents and the clutch cable outright snapped. I remember dad complaining about the pedal feeling really stiff. We broke down on the side of the road. Dad fixed it using a Dacia handbrake cable we bought of some old man in the village we broke down in. We ran that cable for about a year. After that, dad changed the clutch and the cable

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
IIRC the 405 SRI came with 14" wheels from the factory - upgrading the front brakes might require fitting larger wheels due to clearance issues between wheel & caliper.

Maybe look at MI16 calipers, 306 GTI 6 calipers or 206 GTI 180 / RC calipers.

If I was to guess I would say your SRI is likely to have 247mm or 266mm diameter front discs from the factory.

Hopefully your 405 doesnt have the awful Bendix ABS pump system ( optional on SRI ) the earlier versions where fitted with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IIRC the 405 SRI came with 14" wheels from the factory - upgrading the front brakes might require fitting larger wheels due to clearance issues between wheel & caliper.

Maybe look at MI16 calipers, 306 GTI 6 calipers or 206 GTI 180 / RC calipers.

If I was to guess I would say your SRI is likely to have 247mm or 266mm diameter front discs from the factory.

Hopefully your 405 doesnt have the awful Bendix ABS pump system ( optional on SRI ) the earlier versions where fitted with.
Is it the one where the ABS fails? Cause mine failed. Drove it without ABS for a few years. I enjoy it. Is there any way i could swap it with a later model bendix-free one?

Also i just found some Gutmann wheels i will pick up. They are 205 ones so i suppose i will need to run spacers to achieve better fitment.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
IIRC - The early problematic Bendix ABS pump system doesnt have a brake master cylinder.

The 405 did have various makes of ABS systems fitted to it over the years using a standard brake master cylinder & a ABS modulator - one of these was also a Bendix system.
It sounds like your car has one of these set ups.

I would try & diagnose / repair the factory fitted system as it's easier then trying to retrofit a later / different system.

No idea on the 205 wheel - I fitted 15" Cyclone alloys from the 306 on mine.

·
Registered
952 Posts
IIRC - The early problematic Bendix ABS pump system doesnt have a brake master cylinder.
That old Bendix ABS was a complete nightmare, all of a sudden you would get complete brake failure !!!, it was so complicated and would cost a fortune to put right. I only ever saw it on the early Mi16`s,I think it was discontinued around 1989/1990. I used to rip the lot out, then fit a SRi pedal box complete with master cylinder, converting it back to standard non ABS.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The 95 Exec I had was fitted with the Bosch 2E ABS system as used on the 306 of same era - I had to disable the system in the snow else the car wouldn't stop even from very low speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That old Bendix ABS was a complete nightmare, all of a sudden you would get complete brake failure !!!, it was so complicated and would cost a fortune to put right. I only ever saw it on the early Mi16`s,I think it was discontinued around 1989/1990. I used to rip the lot out, then fit a SRi pedal box complete with master cylinder, converting it back to standard non ABS.
I checked with dad. It seems we have the others system, not the bendix one fortunately.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I checked with dad. It seems we have the others system, not the bendix one fortunately.
My 1992 Mi16 x 4 had the "conventional" Bosch system, yours will be the same. You very rarely get a major problem with that system. Only the odd sensors, pick ups and wiring getting damaged.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
FWIW - I found 12 volt grain of wheat bulbs where perfect for fixing the back lights in the electric window switches.

Pop switch cap off, carefully remove the yellow bulb holder, strip back the insulation on your new bulb & fit it in to the bulb holder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts