Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost my key to the Peugeot 4007 diesels SUV 2011(no spare key) I have had an auto locksmith come out to the car and cut a new key and FOB for the car
We revived a key code from the Peugeot Melbourne dealership but no matter what we do the car won’t start, the car will turn over the key actually works (locking unlocking etc.) but the car won’t start
He is still trying to work out a solution but is s saying I might have to bring it to a dealership, but he also aware that the shell of the Peugeot 4007 is a Mitsubishi outlander and he has cut many keys for that model and has never come across the problem above

Has anybody experienced the same problem or could give any hints of how to solve the problem

Thanks

·
Registered
Peugeot 4007, 2013.
93 Posts
Get the error code may help identify the issue. If you can extract one, this would be most helpful.

Other possible things to rule out.
(1) It is possible the ignition reader (normally around the ignition as a coil) has been unplugged
(2) Fuses been checked.

Turning over suggests it is the anti-theft, but it should also throw an error code.

I am playing with my 4007 ignition and alarm circuits in the near future... not that any help atm

I'll dig into wiring information from both and will add more information in the near future, will help me for my future project anyway, so no loss doing it early.

update. Added the documentation below.

Functional statement, my understanding how it works.
The key / microprocessor is powered by the coil reader around the ignition switch (called a transponder unit), the code must be transmitted when the vehicle is turned to *on, a failure to read or receiver this signal causes the anti-theft device to kick in and then the car fails to start as the injectors are turned off.

*turned to on, is how my one of my pajero worked. It has a key with no microchip, that been replaced with a Garage FOB you transmitted by pressing, once you turned to on and prior to start to avoid anti theft kicking in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok update got another lock smith out who knew what he was doing and again he couldn't get the car started ( it turns over but dosent start) He was saying to me now my only option might be now to bring it to a dealer and they might have to replace the ECU module to get the car going Is this what I need Peugeot 4007 2.2 HDi Engine Control Unit ECU 0281013666 Brz56597 for sale online | eBay MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER ECU ENGINE ECU, 2.2, DIESEL, AUTO T/M TYPE, SEC SET (ECU/IM | eBay MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER ECU ENGINE ECU, 2.2, DIESEL, AUTO T/M TYPE, SEC SET (ECU/IM | eBay

Does that make sense and idea of a rough price to do that ?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ok update got another lock smith out who knew what he was doing and again he couldn't get the car started ( it turns over but dosent start) He was saying to me now my only option might be now to bring it to a dealer and they might have to replace the ECU module to get the car going Is this what I need Peugeot 4007 2.2 HDi Engine Control Unit ECU 0281013666 Brz56597 for sale online | eBay MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER ECU ENGINE ECU, 2.2, DIESEL, AUTO T/M TYPE, SEC SET (ECU/IM | eBay MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER ECU ENGINE ECU, 2.2, DIESEL, AUTO T/M TYPE, SEC SET (ECU/IM | eBay

Does that make sense and idea of a rough price to do that ?
Don't buy a single engine ECU it will not work unless it's a blank unit in which case you need to program it with the Peugeot diagnostic tester. The engine ECU and BSI are a matched pair. If you use these items from a donor car you need to replace both units and the key chip.

I suspect the dealer has given you the wrong PIN. It is possible someone may have changed the BSI and engine ECU so the VIN no longer matches the car. BTW does the car pass the beep test?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does the car pass the beep test?
Thanks for all that, I did ask the locksmith about the fact i the dealer could have given me the wrong code and he said that shouldn't make a difference, not sure what that means and maybe they have a work around for that type of error Regarding the The engine ECU and BSI are a matched pair how would I find something like that and finally sorry if it sounds silly question but what is a beep test ?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks for all that, I did ask the locksmith about the fact i the dealer could have given me the wrong code and he said that shouldn't make a difference, not sure what that means and maybe they have a work around for that type of error Regarding the The engine ECU and BSI are a matched pair how would I find something like that and finally sorry if it sounds silly question but what is a beep test ?
The link you provided to eBay is the right sort of thing. It clearly showed the engine ECU, BSI (internal fusebox) and an ignition switch with key. The other parts usually aren't needed. In the case of the ignition switch you don't need to change that either but you need to transfer the key's PCB to you key case with the correct blade.

A little bit more information on the immobiliser:
The way the Peugeot immobiliser usually works is:
When the ignition turned on the engine ECU sends a random number to the BSI
The BSI sends the random number to the key’s transponder
The key’s transponder then sends a response to the BSI
If the transponder response is correct the BSI unlocks the engine ECU.

Both the engine ECU and BSI have the car’s VIN and PIN stored in memory. This is why you can’t change just one unit with out virginising it and reprogramming it.

Some locksmiths can read the cars PIN so this may be why it may not have mattered if the dealer gave you the wrong PIN.

I would recommend you try the beep test:
put the key in the ignition and turn it ON wait a few seconds and then turn it OFF. Leave the key in the ignition and open the driver's door. Listen for a warning beep. If it beeps it means the car is recognising the keys transponder.

Does the remote entry fob work?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just had a look on Peugeot SeviceBox and there are some variations so if you go down the ECU kit route you need to make sure you get an exact match. Here is another example of an ECU kit for a 4007 C-CROSSER OUTLANDER 4007 2.2 HDI ECU BSI KEY SET KIT 8637A319 0281013666 | eBay

One thing that sometimes stops Peugeots from starting is a fault in the battery protection unit called a BPGA (labeled BFDB in the wiring diagram RedSector supplied). They normally sit on top of the battery. Peugeot often only show part of this device in their wiring diagrams. Some are just simple fuse boxes but others have a microprocessor controlled solid state relay which switches off some of the outputs is there is problem (e.g. a crash). This relay is know to fail and on some cars the engine will crank but not start. The diagram below is for a 4007 BPGA and it shows Fuse 33 as seperate from the rest. The wiring diagram shows it connected to F34 but it may be via a relay which are often not shown in Peugeot BPGA wiring diagrams. It you have multimeter it would be worth checking if there is voltage at the output of all the fuses. They should be on all the time.
BPGA.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The link you provided to eBay is the right sort of thing. It clearly showed the engine ECU, BSI (internal fusebox) and an ignition switch with key. The other parts usually aren't needed. In the case of the ignition switch you don't need to change that either but you need to transfer the key's PCB to you key case with the correct blade.

A little bit more information on the immobiliser:
The way the Peugeot immobiliser usually works is:
When the ignition turned on the engine ECU sends a random number to the BSI
The BSI sends the random number to the key’s transponder
The key’s transponder then sends a response to the BSI
If the transponder response is correct the BSI unlocks the engine ECU.

Both the engine ECU and BSI have the car’s VIN and PIN stored in memory. This is why you can’t change just one unit with out virginising it and reprogramming it.

Some locksmiths can read the cars PIN so this may be why it may not have mattered if the dealer gave you the wrong PIN.

put the key in the ignition and turn it ON wait a few seconds and then turn it OFF. Leave the key in the ignition and open the driver's door. Listen for a warning beep. If it beeps it means the car is recognising the keys transponder.

Does the remote entry fob work?

Just completed the above steps and no beeps when opening the door ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
510 Posts

Just completed the above steps and no beeps when opening the door ?
If that's the case the immobiliser will not unlock the engine ECU. I take it the car was starting okay before you lost the key.

Peugeot keys can be difficult to program. The steps in the Peugeot Planet or the later Peugeot Diagbox which the dealers use are straightforward but even with that system it can take a several attempts. While some 4007s may use Mitsubishi electronics I found a BSI/ECU kit on eBay UK for the 4007 which is clearly the standard Peugeot electronics with a Bosch engine ECU.

I think you have two possible courses of action: Get the car to a dealer and get them to supply a new key or if you can live without the car for a while buy your own Peugeot Diagnostic tool (usually called a Lexia3) with DiagBox software. There are many good cheap clones on the market but you need a 32 bit laptop.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks again for all this info where would I find one of the above local and how much very r roughly would it cost to fit
Your only hope of getting a BSI/ECU kit in Australia is off eBay or from a breakers yard. Your next problem is making sure you get the right parts. You really should take the existing units out and note down all the details on the labels.

Most people fit them themselves. The engine ECU should only take a few minutes to fit. Just pull it out and remove the 3 plugs and put the new one in. The BSI is more difficult because you need to remove the glovebox. After that it's a case of unplug the existing unit and unscrew a couple of mounting screws and put the new one in. An auto electrician should do it within an hour.

I would be surprised if your current units are faulty. My bet is the key programming didn't work. It's not normally that hard but it took one guy on this forum with the right Peugeot interface cable and software multiple attempts over 1 week before he finally got his keys working.

BTW are things like the radio and windows working? The car is likely to go into economy mode at some point. Don't worry if it does. It will stop things like the radio from working but it will not stop the car from starting.

·
Registered
Peugeot 4007, 2013.
93 Posts
OP this post might be helpful.
(1) 4007 Key fob synchroonisation | Peugeot Forums Post 7.

So a quick follow up - I spent an hour using diagbox re/synchronising the keys over and over again. Doing precisely the same thing each time. The procedure was:
  • unlock the RF module
  • press both key fob buttons for 2 seconds
  • touch nothing for 2 seconds
  • press the unlock button for 1 second
After many many many times of trying - finally the key sync error disappeared and I now have a working remote key fob!
Final thought - I am still uncertain if it was a hardware issue or flakey software - but all working OK now. Thanks to Tony for your insight ;-)
My bet is the key programming didn't work.
+1 agree this will be the source issue.

·
Registered
510 Posts
OP this post might be helpful.
(1) 4007 Key fob synchroonisation | Peugeot Forums Post 7.

+1 agree this will be the source issue.
That was an interesting link slightly different problem but it shows how problematic Peugeot keys can be. The odd thing with DiagBox and the RF remote is that in some cases DiagBox only shows the RF remote as synchronises for a very short period after the button is pressed.

I wouldn't mind betting that in this case the PCB in the new key is faulty. Unlike the older keys instead of a transponder chip these have a little coupling coil which is connected to the keys microprocessor. Sometimes these coils are open circuit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't mind betting that in this case the PCB in the new key is faulty. Unlike the older keys instead of a transponder chip these have a little coupling coil which is connected to the keys microprocessor. Sometimes these coils are open circuit.

I have had two different lock smiths come out so I gather they would have tried several new keys so not sure the PCB in the new key could be faulty but who knows I am not in a real hurry I do have a local mechanic (Peugeot ) but not sure if he can help, or my only option is bring it to a dealer and for the first time in my life trust a dealership :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
510 Posts
I do have a local mechanic (Peugeot ) but not sure if he can help, or my only option is bring it to a dealer and for the first time in my life trust a dealership :)
It would be worth speaking to the local guy. If he deals with Peugeots a lot he is likely to have a Lexia3 with Diagbox software. With that system he will be able to see each stage of the immobiliser unlock procedure. The Peugeot diagnostic is also more reliable than some generic testers. There are reports on the forum that generic tests have been known to give the wrong fault codes on Peugeots.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts