Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

My first post on here, and hoping for some advice/help.
My 2009 Peugeot 308 SW Diesel, needs the fuel priming every time I want to use it, except when it's parked facing downhill.
Took it to my local garage, and they couldn't find any problem. I have replaced the fuel sender unit, but that only lasted one day, then back to priming!!
There's no visible evidence of leaking fuel/hole in the fuel line.
It wasn't to bad initially, until I found the air inlet conduit had come apart at a joint. Since putting it back together the problem has only got worse.

Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bob.

· Registered
68 Posts
Ok, my 1st question is what engine do you have. 1.6 or 2.0? I'm gonna guess 1.6.

Thinking logically about this, you say the air inlet conduit had come undone, I'm guessing again at the large oval shape pipe that goes from the front over the gearbox end of the engine and connects into the bottom of the air filter housing (these never seem to fit together very well)

Underneath that pipe is your fuel filter, my guess is that you have a bad connection on this or that one of the seals is leaking, made worse by being disturbed as you moved things about putting the air feed back in.
If there is any bad seal/joint it will let air in and the diesel will travel back down the pipes making it harder to start as you need to pump the diesel back up again before it will start.

Has the car recently been serviced?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ian.
Most impressive!

It is a 1.6, and it was that part of the air conduit, that had come apart.

The first time I had to prime the car was back in January.
The car had had a service in June, last year, and I replaced the fuel filter in the August.
One of the first things I did was check the fuel filter drain screw, and the pipes.
none seemed loose, or had any signs of fuel leaks.
I now have the anti pollution light coming on, intermittently.
I'll check the pipe connections to the fuel filter, as like you say. It's as if air is getting in, and the fuel is draining back to the tank.

· Registered
68 Posts
When the filter was changed did you replace the 2 'o' rings on the fuel heater that you have to unclip from the back of the filter? Also worth checking all other fuel lines & unions while your there. Also take the air filter box out and check pipes under that too as the airbox sits directly on top of the fuel pipes, if it's not say in its little rubber mounts it can rub on the fuel pipes. My guess is that it's something near the filter as you said it got worse after you put the air duct back in place so something disturbed there seems logical to me.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ian.

I will check all the pipes and connections around the fuel filter, air filter, and conduit.
I had only thought of the fuel filter connections, and the sender unit.

To be honest. I haven't thought of checking to see if it was worse when there was more, or less fuel in the tank.

Cheers,
Bob.

· Registered
7 Posts
Same problem

Hi Could I join in the search for a solution. I have exactly the same problem with my Peugeot 3008 sport 2010 1600 diesel.

I had started my own thread and was referred here. Safety in numbers.

Thanks Gordon.

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me here, I have problems starting a Peugeot 3008, 2010 sports model in the morning or after a long park.

This sounds sort of strange but if I park the car facing uphill overnight, the car won’t start in the morning. I then have to persist turning the engine over and then it eventually starts on the last turn of the battery.

If I point the car downhill, I have no problems starting the car.

The obvious solution therefore would be to always point the car up hill, but this is becoming a problem and is getting worse, because if I now park the car on level ground, it too will not start.

I have tried looking for a fault code, but was not one. I cannot be the only one who has had problems starting, is there someone who recognises this problem.

Many thanks,
Gordon

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Gents.

The more the merrier.

I have just finished striping down the air ducting, and filter.
Checked the seals on the fuel filter, and they are good.
All put back together. Primed the fuel system. And the car started!
Turned off the engine. Left it for 10 mins.
Started the car. It worked for about 5 seconds, and stalled!

This has really got me stumped. But I bet it'll turn out to be something simple, and not expensive. Well that's my hope anyway.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have tried this, but I have still had to prime it every time I use the car, unless I can manage to park it facing downhill.

The next thing I'm thinking of doing, is replacing the fuel line, and connectors, from the tank to the fuel tank to the priming bulb, and see if that clears the problem.

That wont be for a couple of weeks, due to financial constraints, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Bob.

· Registered
7 Posts
Faulty valve maybe near the pump or fuel tank.

Hi there,

Thanks for your post; it is annoying me as well and I could do with out it.

I see two possible causes, it is drawing air in from the front, or leaking at the back, that is near the fuel tank which I think means the pump; a high pressure one I believe.

On facing the car up hill, (and leaving overnight), the fuel is running back to the tank from the front, or something is allowing the fuel to return to the tank. Could it be a faulty non return valve in the pump?

I was also thinking it could be drawing air from the front, but if it was, that would not cause fuel to flow, and besides, you have investigated that cause. So I am back to thinking the problems is in the pump which have not had time to look at.

Also is it not self priming? Mine seams to primes itself, but takes a lot of turns of the engine to do so, which takes me back to a fault value somewhere, or a loss of pressure in the pump, but once started, the pump is working well.

Do you think I am on the right lines? Do you have anything to add, am I missing something?

Thanks
Gordon.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Success!!!!!

I know it's been a while, but only managed to sort this problem out.

Two weeks ago, I replaced the fuel filter, with a Mann fuel filter.
I've not had to prime the car since!!

Can't believe it was only the fuel filter that had caused all the problems.

I even forked our £340.00 to get all the fuel lines replaced two months ago!!!:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.