Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the subject, had anyone tried deleting the rear wiper? I’ve always been a fan of a slick back end without the wiper and I never use the rear windows let alone the wiper anyway

I’ve have a search and can’t find anything in regards to it for a Peugeot 308

Thanks
Connor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that’s not the answer I was looking for.. next time don’t be such a smart ass, I drive a van round half the week. Mirrors are just fine for that.

And on top of that I clean my car religiously once a week so it doesn’t get dirty to warrant using the rear wiper

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So quick to judge a person, for your information it’s a silver van, you don’t know me, if you don’t have anything useful in regards to this topic then don’t comment

·
Registered
110 Posts
Never ever have I heard of such a request. But I guess it could be done relatively easy - open the boot door, remove plastic trim and there is the wiper motor. Disconnect it from power (it has just one plastic power connector), then unbolt and remove it from the car.
And there's where the problem comes in - you need to plug the hole somehow, and I don't know if there's such a plug readily available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply bluedevil,

It can be done with other vehicles if you have at vehicles on google, a few of my mates have done it to their cars before and you can buy a bung that fits in its place but was looking for someone with experience doing it with a 308 I start and find out the hard way of something

Image below of a golf with it been removed..

Cleans up the look of the back end of the rear window in my opinion

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did it with my 306 years back. Makes the car look alot better especially on those older cars with the long ass wipers.

I reckon it would look decent on a 308.
Rain not much a problem either. Tho I'd see what the M.O.T is like these days. They will fail for faulty wipers for the front so dunno if rules changed for rears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Rickie,

Yes probably worth a shout with the MOT I’ll look into that, I am tempted to do this but will have to find a glass bung that will fit on the 308, last thing I want to do is dismantle the boot then find out I’m missing something weather it’s a tool or the incorrect side bung etc

·
Registered
38 Posts
I seem to remember the guy at MOT place saying that because not all cars come with rear wipers like soft tops or coups theat it's not a legal requirement to have on a car.

What I done on my old cars was buy some cork cut it to the size of hole and add bit silicone round it to waterproof the hole then just bought a flat rubber bung and glued it to the glass covering the hole.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The rear wiper is not tested as part of the MOT - you may get an advisory but it can't fail.

It's not something I would consider (for two reasons as below) but you could try these people who seem to have made a business out of removing wiper blades!

https://www.killallwipers.com/

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwiper+rear+bung.TRS0&_nkw=wiper+rear+bung&_sacat=0

For me, I use mine regularly, especially on motorways and dual carriageways when its raining. Hence, removing it would hinder visibility.

Plus maybe its an age thing. When I was a lad an easy way to spot a base spec Metro, Fiesta or Nova etc was to see which ones didn't have the rear wiper as the were only fitted to high spec models or as an optional extra. Hence I think it cheapens the look of the car! YMMV

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I seem to remember the guy at MOT place saying that because not all cars come with rear wipers like soft tops or coups theat it's not a legal requirement to have on a car.

What I done on my old cars was buy some cork cut it to the size of hole and add bit silicone round it to waterproof the hole then just bought a flat rubber bung and glued it to the glass covering the hole.

True, I had a mk2 tt coupe and they don’t have them so they must surely not be required by law unless one is physically fitted and it doesn’t work.. I’ll double check my local MOT guy and then look into it more, there must be a bung somewhere that’ll fit like for like with some black silicon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rear wiper is not tested as part of the MOT - you may get an advisory but it can't fail.

It's not something I would consider (for two reasons as below) but you could try these people who seem to have made a business out of removing wiper blades!

https://www.killallwipers.com/

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwiper+rear+bung.TRS0&_nkw=wiper+rear+bung&_sacat=0

For me, I use mine regularly, especially on motorways and dual carriageways when its raining. Hence, removing it would hinder visibility.

Plus maybe its an age thing. When I was a lad an easy way to spot a base spec Metro, Fiesta or Nova etc was to see which ones didn't have the rear wiper as the were only fitted to high spec models or as an optional extra. Hence I think it cheapens the look of the car! YMMV

Adding a rear wiper was an extra option?! suppose it’s the extra cost but makes sense back then.

Again can’t say I’ve never had an issue in the 4 months I’ve owned it, rear windows coated and it’s driven probably 60-70 miles a week, washed every week because I’m a detailing nut

I’ll look at the links and again check with my MOT guy, although doesn’t need one it’s first MOT for 18 months

·
Registered
117 Posts
Adding a rear wiper was an extra option?! suppose it’s the extra cost but makes sense back then.
My first car was a used base spec Metro, luxuries such as passenger wing mirror, rear wiper, headrests and even, believe it or not, reclining seats came on the model up...

But it was good fun to drive at the age of 17 with its 47bhp engine:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
My first car was a used base spec Metro, luxuries such as passenger wing mirror, rear wiper, headrests and even, believe it or not, reclining seats came on the model up...
I'm of the same era, if it didn't have a rear wiper, it was the base model.

My first car was an '89 Metro City, which didn't come with a rear wiper, although we fitted one during my ownership. I can also remember in my first job driving one of the company cars, which was an early Mk3 Fiesta Popular, which again didn't have a rear wiper, and being white, the black bung stood out like a sore thumb....

·
Registered
978 Posts
Back in the early 70s a then friend of mine had a 1275 Cooper 'S'. He fitted not one but two rear wipers onto his car by using a modified front wiper setup.

And, yes, it's definitely an age thing as I wouldn't contemplate removing the rear wiper for perceived cosmetic benefit for a nanosecond.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Paul, be reasonable, it's perfectly alright if you never drive in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
I had a Metro with not only a rear wiper, but also a rev clock! Posh as..... My Nova also has a rear wiper but I might delete it when I come to spraying it. I do like the smooth look, but I wouldn't do it to my own daily driver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts