Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 308 and I notice that the vast majority of Peugeot 308s that are for sale are the 'Allure' trim level. I notice that the 'Allure' trim comes with 45 profile tyres and the 'Active' trim comes with 55 profile tyres. Lower profile tyres usually give a harder ride with more road/tyre noise and they are not usually the best for our UK roads with pot holes and speed bumps. I believe 45 profile tyres would be great for cornering and racing but not for a smooth ride. I really would like the 'Active' trim with the 55 profile tyres to give me the smoothest ride but this is limiting the choice of cars for sale. On 'Autotrader' I find only 4 'Active' trim 308s for sale compared with 95 'Allure' trim 308s within a 100 mile radius of my address. Does anyone know why there are a lot of 'Allure' trim 308s for sale compared with 'Active' trim 308s? Is it because people find the 'Allure' too hard a ride and want to 'get rid' or is it just that the majority of 308s sold new were in the 'Allure' trim in the first place? Can anyone comment, either way, on the ride quality of the 308 in 'Allure' trim with 45 profile tyres please?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Allure has 17" wheels and Active has 16" wheels .. i have Active with 16" wheels and can say that the car is nicely soft and goes well over speedbumps and pot holes.. had a Honda Civic 10 plate before and that was FIRM car .. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got an Allure spec. I find the ride acceptable although a bit harsh on potholes sometimes but when I had a lower trim car on 16" wheels as a hire car in Spain recently I thought the ride was much more supple.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Although only two replies so far they both confirm what I suspected: - That the 'Active' trim is a better, smoother ride than the 'Allure' trim.

I hope other 308 owners can add to this thread to give their opinions. It will help me to decide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have an Allure - though I would have preferred the 16" wheels, it didn't make financial sense to buy an Active and spec it up with options. I agree with Danram that the ride could be softer, but is perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have a 2016 Allure with 17" rims & 45 profile tyres, the ride is perfectly fine, it has improved slightly by fitting Michelin Cross Climate + tyres which also tamed the lively Puretech 130 performance.

You still have the 308 handling trait of the back end step out on certain corners but you get used to it.

Reason for plenty of Allure trims for sale is it's a popular high non sport trim spec having plenty of toys.

I'd rather have an Allure over Active.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pearly White - Your comment "it didn't make financial sense to buy an Active and spec it up with options" may be the reason that I am seeing lots of "Allures" for sale and not many 'Actives'. It may be that most people bought 'Allure' trim rather than 'Active' trim on economic grounds. I suppose it is possible to buy a used 'Allure' trim model and (if I find the ride too hard/noisy) get the wheels and tyres changed to 16" wheels and 55 profile tyres but this will cost £ (any ideas anyone?). Also it would count as a modification so I would need to tell my car insurers and also the DVLA. I may finish up with an 'Allure' model and find it 'acceptable' but, for now, I'll wait and see if an 'Active' trim comes on the market.

Further responses are welcome and thanks to everyone for the input.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'd much rather have the Allure with better overall spec including LED headlamps then an Active with lower spec plus its worse halogen headlamps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the ride of the Allure is good very good on a long journey,i would describe it as comfy with a slighly firm edge,the stock Michelin SP4s have quite a firm wall as they are sport tyres i'll be changing mine soon for a different make for a smoother ride a test drive will rule out any doubts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had an allure as a courtesy car while my GTi was being serviced.

It felt like a magic carpet compared to what I'm used to. There is one road on the way to work that I normally don't exceed 20ish due to the poor surface. The Allure was still get comfy at 30.

I was very impressed with the car and though the suspension and ride were well set up and balanced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a quick check as to how much it would cost to change the wheels/tyres on an 'Allure' from 225/45 R17 to 205/55 R16 as fitted on the 'Active'. It works out at about £600 including buying and fitting. This is a lot of money (and trouble) so I reckon that if I did buy the 'Allure' (because there aren't any 'Active' models for sale) then I would have to accept the ride quality of the 17" wheels/tyres. It is for this reason that I am finding your comments very interesting so thank you all.

I don't reckon I will get many responses from 'Active' trim owners as it is looking as if there aren't many out there. The vast majority are 'Allure' owners.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Another problem may arise with your insurance if the wheels are changed as it's a non-standard addition to the original spec for the car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did a quick check as to how much it would cost to change the wheels/tyres on an 'Allure' from 225/45 R17 to 205/55 R16 as fitted on the 'Active'. It works out at about £600 including buying and fitting. This is a lot of money (and trouble) so I reckon that if I did buy the 'Allure' (because there aren't any 'Active' models for sale) then I would have to accept the ride quality of the 17" wheels/tyres. It is for this reason that I am finding your comments very interesting so thank you all.

I don't reckon I will get many responses from 'Active' trim owners as it is looking as if there aren't many out there. The vast majority are 'Allure' owners.
ill swap my 16" for your 17" :)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I must admit I am finding it hard to understand comments on this.
My Allure has "diamond" alloys with 205/55 R16 tyres, as all the Allures did at the time mine was made.
Also that size wheel gave better economy than the 17 inch.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have you taken one for a year drive? Everyone's comments are personal based on their experiences and roads used so the only real answer is to try it yourself.

As mentioned above, I was very impressed with the ride, but then I'm used to 235/35 R19s with hard suspension!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
As long as you get genuine Peugeot wheels which are type approved then £600 cost and selling the old wheels with tyres are the only issues. No need to tell insurers or the DVLA.
Peugeot Service Box will tell the insurance company they wasn't the wheels it left the factory with - if they wanted to they could refuse to pay out as they haven't been told about the change of original wheels.

My car left the factory with optional extras but because there factory fitted there listed on Service Box & the insurance company are happy - I checked when I took the policy out.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Only takes a couple of minutes with the VIN on Service Box for anyone including an insurance company if they so wished to check the spec on a car involved in a claim.

·
Registered
978 Posts
From a practical point of view, if you're downsizing on wheel diameter then check to make sure that the car doesn't have heavier duty brakes fitted that might interfere with the smaller wheel.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts