Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2008 peugeot 308 which came with RD4 unit with JBL sound system. I wanted to change the head unit to a aftermarket 2din head unit with gps navigation system. But it did not work. The audio harness is different (as I think) beacuse of the the JBL amp which was pre-installed in the car. Can anybody suggest me about any other head unit with gps navigation system that will work with the car audio system.

The system I bought which did not work is in the link below.

For Peugeot 308 408 Car DVD GPS Autoradio MTK3360 CPU 1.2GHz Dual Core Bluetooth RDS 3G 1080P SWC Dual Zone Virtual 10disc 4*60W-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I will appreciate any kind of feedback very much.

Regards,

Stefen

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2008 peugeot 308 which came with RD4 unit with JBL sound system. I wanted to change the head unit to a aftermarket 2din head unit with gps navigation system. But it did not work. The audio harness is different (as I think) beacuse of the the JBL amp which was pre-installed in the car. Can anybody suggest me about any other head unit with gps navigation system that will work with the car audio system.

The system I bought which did not work is in the link below.

For Peugeot 308 408 Car DVD GPS Autoradio MTK3360 CPU 1.2GHz Dual Core Bluetooth RDS 3G 1080P SWC Dual Zone Virtual 10disc 4*60W-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I will appreciate any kind of feedback very much.

Regards,

Stefen

Virtually every aftermarket head unit will require an adapter cable to fit to the car wiring. The RD4 will probably use a quadlock connector like this.

You will need to find the right adapter to fit both the car and the radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Storeman,

Thanks for your reply. The system I bought , It came with a lot of accessory among which they sent a adapter. But it did not work because the wire combination was different and it will not work with the inbuilt JBL soundsystem.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
From looking at the link to your headunit, the adapter provided is to adapt from the standard car stereo connection (iso) to the port located on the back of the headunit you purchased.

However Peugeot do not use the standard ISO connector, and they use the quadlock adapter that storeman has posted above.

There is a chance that you need a quadlock to ISO adapter, then the ISO to headunit adapter?

Is there any chance you could post photos of the end of the adapter in your car, and both ends of the provided adapter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From looking at the link to your headunit, the adapter provided is to adapt from the standard car stereo connection (iso) to the port located on the back of the headunit you purchased.

However Peugeot do not use the standard ISO connector, and they use the quadlock adapter that storeman has posted above.

There is a chance that you need a quadlock to ISO adapter, then the ISO to headunit adapter?

Is there any chance you could post photos of the end of the adapter in your car, and both ends of the provided adapter?
Hi PaulMillard,

Thanks for ur reply. But the aftermarket head unit came with a connector that you can see in the attachment.

Untitled.jpg

I don´t exactly know what kind or socket is that but it fitted with cars audio harness.

photo 4.jpg

Problem was the wire combinations. The adapter wire combinations were according to the RD4 wire combination.

RD4.jpg

But if you take look carefully in the audio harness with my car there is not so many wires as it shows in the diagram. And as far as I know it is a RD4 unit in my car.

photo 2 (1).jpg

when I asked the seller of the head unit that I bought, they said that it was because of the JBL amp that is installed in my car.

Regards,

Stefen

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hi,

Good work with the pictures. I see what you mean regarding the adapters.

So the top 2 sections (2 x set of 8 pins) in your car look like they are the standard ISO connectors, by the look of the cables, I would say the right hand one is the one with Power, Earth etc... Due to the large earth cable in the bottom right pin.

However, as you have said there are some wires missing. The left set of pins is presumably for speakers, and not all of them are present, as for the JBL amp, they have likely taken the + from the left channel and the - from right channel.

I have also just found on another site, that the right set of 8 apparently does not contain a power connector on systems with the JBL setup :eek:

Have a read of this, hope it helps!

Also, sorry if you are not allowed to post to other forums??

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I've no experience of a system with the JBL amp but the standard system suffers from not immediately powering down the radio when the key is removed from the ignition. This is due to the switched live being controlled by the BSI and not the ignition. The radio will stay powered on until the BSI goes into sleep mode. This can be corrected by moving the switched power wire on the radio adapter one place as the next wire in the car harness is an ignition controlled live.

As to why the unit you received wouldn't work - it may be down to the JBL amp or you may have received a defective unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi PaulMillard,

Today I took a close look at the harness and if the diagram is correct,

RD4.jpg

then my car audio harness is using pin 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 15 and 16. That means front left and right speaker(2, 3, 6, 7), CAN high and low(10, 13), Battery 12+ and ground(12, 16). Pin 15 is confusing as it shows ´Not used´.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Hi PaulMillard,

Today I took a close look at the harness and if the diagram is correct,

View attachment 29809

then my car audio harness is using pin 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 15 and 16. That means front left and right speaker(2, 3, 6, 7), CAN high and low(10, 13), Battery 12+ and ground(12, 16). Pin 15 is confusing as it shows ´Not used´.
On the RD4, uses a switched live controlled by the BSI but this switched live causes minor problems with aftermarket head units. There is also an ignition switched live in the car loom which may be the wire going into pin 15 even though the RD4 doesn't use it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys, i decided also to change the original player with aftermarket one. The car is 308CC - with factory fitted amplifier.
Everything works well except the fact that the sound is working for 2 seconds - and after that no sound. If i turn up or down the volume (even with 1 point) - the sound is back again - again for 2 seconds. Somehow the amplifier does not work for more than 2 seconds - and fires up again when there is a change in the volume signal. Do you have any information if the amplifier has some defense or i do not know what type of work ? The can bus is working 100% - i can use the steering wheel buttons, i can see the parking sensors on the device screen, see the doors opened/closed on the screen - even i see a full info for the car on the screen of the device (consumption, fuel, average speed and etc).

The device is with 8-core CPU, 4GB Ram, 32 GB Memory.

Any ideas will be welcome :)

Thanks in advance for the support.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Only difference in the JBL system is the AMP as the radio uses line level outputs to feed the amp the wiring for power etc is identical your only issue would be getting low level audio from your head unit.

You would still have to alter the peugeot wiring to make the radio power up properly with the ignition as everyone else does this is due to peugeots wiring being a bit strange nothing to do with choice of head unit.

ANY head unit will work in any car if wired correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Used the low level input and still didnt work. I think its the amp that keeps turning off. Any idea where the amp trigger is for the jbl 508?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think i found the problem. The amp turns on via canbus and not a 1wv trigger. Anyone know where to buy one that can turn the amp on? Using a china android unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
buona sera, ho gentilmente lo stesso problema con la mia Peugeot 508 anno 2011. Sai dove acquistare il cavo per far funzionare l'autoradio cinese con JBL? grazie per una possibile risposta

1 - 16 of 16 Posts