Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello enthusiasts out there, I parked on a slope front down. I mistakenly left it in reverse gear and let the car roll forward slightly. Hours later it wouldn’t start. The engine did crank but failed to ignite. The dashboard shows “automatic door locking activated” when key is turned to ignition ON. But then dashboard display disappeared after a few seconds. The following steps have been taken:

• The car has a full tank of fuel and I’ve hammered the tank. But I can’t be sure about whether there’s a fuel delivery issue
  • The battery was taken out and fully charged. But the above signals and display disappearance repeated
  • “Easystarter” was sprayed around the air inlet but that didn’t help the engine turn over
  • I’ve scanned the car for codes using 3 different diagnostic machines but there were no codes

Any suggestion as to how to proceed from there? Grateful for any help!

·
Registered
879 Posts
There are large number of possible reason for your problem. Here a a few things to try.

(i) The beep test: Put the key in the ignition turn the ignition ON then OFF. Leave the key in the ignition, open the drivers door and listen for a warning beep. If you don't get a beep it means the car is not recognising the key's transponder.

(ii) When you connected the OBD scanners did they read the car's VIN? Do any of your scanners allow you to see any of the car's parameters?

(iii) The 308 usually has a battery protection unit which is a fuse box that sits on top of the battery. This unit has a microprocessor controlled solid state relay that is known to fail. If you have access to a multimeter (or something like a screwdriver with a 12Volt test light) it would be worth checking if there is voltage at the output of each fuse.

(iv) You mentioned you got a display when you turned the ignition on. Are the other normal ignition lights on as well?

(v) Do things such as lights, electric windows, central locking and radio work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ian thank you so much for your advice - I've followed your points!

(i) Yes it passed the beep test.

(ii) When the car was recovered the operator scanned it and when it got home it was scanned again using two different machines. I don't think I could see the VIN. What other parameters can I look for?

(iii) Yes I've taken the multimeter and tried on all the fuses on the fuse box underneath the bonnet. They all show resistance - can the microprocessor still fail or should I do further tests?

(iv) The engine light is on as well but other lights are off.

(v) I'd like to test those but because the engine didn't start and the battery keeps going into economy mode I couldn't operate lights, electric window, central locking, radio etc.

Would be grateful for any further thoughts!

·
Registered
879 Posts
The reason I asked about the scanners reading the VIN is that I suspect the scanners are not communicating with the car. If they read the VIN it confirms they are communicating with the car.

Here is a diagram of the OBD connector. Can you take your multimeter and measure the voltage between pin 16 and 5. It should be 12V.

In the case of the fuses I think your tests have indicated all fuses are good but there can be a fault where there is no voltage reaching them. Hence, what I want measured is the voltage at all the fuses relative the car's body (earth).

EDIT
The car will go into economy mode for two reason: (i) the battery voltage is low (ii) If some equipment (e.g. radio) is left on for 30 minutes. If the car went into economy mode shortly after you tried to restart the car it suggest a battery fault. I would check the battery earth connections to the car. It would also be good to measure the battery voltage when you crank the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts