Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone,

I have a few questions I would like to ask regarding a 2005 year Peugeot 307cc which I have recently purchased.

The car seems to showing some abnormal activity with the temperature. There have been a couple of days where the temperature guage went straight up to red and the STOP sign started flashing. Car was stopped immediately and some water was added. It used to drink up water! So the local garage suggested changing the radiator.
Bought a new radiator and fixed it.

The car temperature since then seem to have got better but the guage still seems to be fluctuating. It sometimes stays on the 70, sometimes on 90, sometimes just above 90.
Usually stays on the lower side while cruising and rises slowly if the car is standing idle.

Past couple of days it has just been on 90 or just slightly above 90. When idle, it stays on one point above 90.

Since this is he first time I've bought a Peugeot. I do not know what the normal temperatures peugeot usually be running at. Or if the fluctuating temperature guage is a normal act?

I have attached a picture for reference. You are the experts. You could tell me.

Please note the temperature guage and the oil temp. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance
-Ibz

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
could be tempreture sensor or possibloe faulty thermostat
yep id check that, as well as check you actually have coolent, possibly a block in the coolent system or a faulty water pump.

My 307 estate 2.0 hdi sits at 70c rock solid once warmed up, it only rises to 90 if sitting iddling for 10 minutes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep id check that, as well as check you actually have coolent, possibly a block in the coolent system or a faulty water pump.

My 307 estate 2.0 hdi sits at 70c rock solid once warmed up, it only rises to 90 if sitting iddling for 10 minutes

Thank you for your response guys!
I am a bit of a noob in this you can say.

How do I check if there is a block in coolant system?
Or How do I check if the temperature sensor or thermometer needs replacement?

Another thing I have observed, after driving the card as I come to a stop, I checked the level of the coolant in the reservoir and it was almost right up to the top. Whereas normally, before I start driving (cool engine) the coolant level is upto the mid line or just below max line. Is that normal? Or is there some air block?

Regards,
-Ibz.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thank you for your response guys!
I am a bit of a noob in this you can say.

How do I check if there is a block in coolant system?
Or How do I check if the temperature sensor or thermometer needs replacement?

Another thing I have observed, after driving the card as I come to a stop, I checked the level of the coolant in the reservoir and it was almost right up to the top. Whereas normally, before I start driving (cool engine) the coolant level is upto the mid line or just below max line. Is that normal? Or is there some air block?

Regards,
-Ibz.
#
I dont know much about thecoolent system but i think that indicates a problem. certainly on mine the level barely flucuates, it fluctuates between midway and just below whenever i have checked it.

It should not be past max.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Coolant header tank cap may be passing so the water can rise in the tank instead of being pressurised thus reducing how high the water rises in the tank, there not expensive and of course very easy to fit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your response guys!

Water Tank Cap - I did see the coolant dropped around the tank but do not hear any sizzle/whistle sound when the water level rises in the water tank reservoir. Does this still mean the cap is gone?

Normal Temperature - So i undestand the normal working temperature of the car should be between 70 and 90 - Not above 90, right?
And should it stay static or should it fluctuate? (All of my other cars, it stays static)

Do any one of your have any tutorials or steps on how to remove the air block from the system if any? And how to check if the waterpump / temperature sensor is fine?

Above is much appreciated!

Regards,
-Ibz.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That oil temperature looks on the high side too. Mine has never gone above 100 degrees even in the height of summer. It seems unlikely that two temperature sensors would be faulty, I reckon that for whatever reason this engine is running hot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As been said before mine is always between 80~90 depending if driving ,idleing, or over 38* temp., but never over 90. Your right about other cars as both the RR and Jag sit solid on one temp and don't move. I much prefer the slight fluctuation of the 307. I would also suspect an issue with your cooling system,blockage ,air lock or leak of pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys!
I atleast have an idea now of what needs to checked in the car.

However, one more concern, what about the slight high oil temperature? What is causing the rise in the oil temperature? :(
Is the oil temperature directly proportional to the engine/coolant temperature?

Or am i just loosing engine head or gasket?

Regards,
-Ibz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peugeot 307cc temperature problem

I have discovered that the 307cc has a thermostat of 105C rather than the other variants which have 89C. The thermostat also has a sensor in the plastic enclosure which I don't think the others have. Because of this the engine runs hotter and hence the gauge also shows a temperature variation of 105C descending down to just under 90C. Also the oil temperature also shows one division above the 100c mark which is also expected. I cannot find a replacement thermostat (which is built into the housing) which has a temperature less than 105C which I believe means that the cc type has been set to operate at 105C. The only thermostats that have 89C do not have a housing with a built in sensor, hence it is not possible to change to a lower temperature unless the sensor is not connected. I am personally happy to have the lower temperature but there is no easy way to do it. Perhaps the designers thought that as the cc is a sporty version with open roof capability that they would raise the engine temperature to make it a bit more responsive (if indeed is what happens but I don't know). This explains why 307 cars run less hot as they have the lower temperature thermostat.
I also has a circumstance where the reservoir tank showed a high level after running the car but I believe this is air expanding in the system. There are at least one bleed screw (in the heater pipe) and possibly another elsewhere on the block. Mine has settled down to a consistant level only raising a small amount when hot and then returning when cooled down. This is ok as water expands when hot although much less than air.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Harmonyangel please don't tag on to old threads. Start a new one as it is easier for the members to help you without trawling through a load of history that is sometimes not relevant to the defect. Thanks
I notice that you are inserting info but again best to start a new thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fair comment but do a search to find history of defects and read them instead of tagging them into a new thread.
Hi, thanks for responding.:lol: I have literally just joined this Forum a) to make that comment and b) to do just what you say - trawl through looking for the answer to this problem! I have searched the Internet for this same issue and whilst I see lots of people with the same problem (sudden rise of temperature then return to normal), nobody from what I can see has posted a definitive answer solving the problem once and for all! The 307cc doesn't have any manuals and I cannot find a wiring diagram covering my car which has a two speed cooling fan but NO relays and from what I can work out an electronically controlled Thermostat! Can you help me at all as I am going stir crazy! I would like to see how the system works electrically.
2005 307cc 2.0 Petrol 103kw Variant 3BRFJC
Many thanks in anticipation

1 - 20 of 20 Posts