Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all new person here........

in a few days getting a 307 1.4 8v rapier in blue on a 03 plate got f.s.h.and only 47k on the clock.
i like the drive of these and just what i need for cheap tax and petrol as only do local driving never motorway and power is just right.
just would like to know more about this model like the spec on it as i see its got a few things like built in cd changer etc and thing to look for and do like cambelt and things.
also being a 1.4 8v what is this about removing the battery etc as person removed it at the garage and i went in it after for a test drive and seemed ok,i would of just taken it off and put it on so will it cause problems and in what way.
sorry to rabble on a bit
thanks all.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some strange brown stuff around the water bottle and water a bit brown
and cant see any oil on the dipstick or its so clean like just been done but
its not been serviced for 9 months so think something dont add up.
head gasket is what i think so might leave it,never get another at this rate.

G

·
That version of the 1.4 is pretty tough. However, there iis a fault where the head gasket slowly starts weeping oil at the timing belt end. Over time the oil goes all over the belt (not good) and the leak worsens to full on head gasket failure if not addressed.

IIRC there is a modified head gasket that cures this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will have to tell the garage that i aint having it.
lost £100 deposit but betting than loosing a lot more.
cheers for that

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, not as bad as it sounds if it is the head gasket. I have a 307 1.4 with head gasket problem at the moment.

Very common problem on the 8V engine, The gasket has a seal which is prone to leaking the the front left corner by the cambelt housing. I have been told by both a RR trained mechanic trading for over 40yrs and peugeot dealer that so long as the have does not overheat that the problem have be left and actually aint that important. Although advised to get done eventually you can find people do them pretty cheap as the engine is very easy to work on.

Secondly you should investigate whether its the rocker/valve cover gasket which also prone to breaking however is simple to change and can look worse than it realy is.

I suppose price is what to look at as i was sold mine and found this all out the following day. At least if you repair one you knowthe problem is unlikely to occur again.

Finally if the car is for running round and town driving i would advise a 16V, due to the weight of the car i have found mine is quite juicy on town driving and much better on the motorway.

G

·
This went on my olde 207 with the same engine. It went in within a week of the weep being noticed by myself, and it had already been flung around the timing case which indicates it had been getting on the belt or pulleys, which could be fatal if left. Chatting to their workshops Fossil he did state that if left it would eventually develop to full HGF, though not overnight. Either way, the cure is a modified headset.

A good mate of mine is an RR mechanic, and let's be honest - he knows his stuff, but he learned his trade on Camargues and Silver Shadows, while I leaned mine on R32 Skylines and 300ZX twin Turbos. You can guess who learned more!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Only trying to help and i agree that it needs to be rectified however if checked regularly for leaking into the cambelt housing the problem can continue without causing further problems/

Mine has been leaking for around 7 months previous to be buying he car and still has absolutely no problems or signs of head gasket failure.

My RR mechanic friend actually trained as a mechanic in other fields however continued to trade within RR afterwards.

G

·
Ah, I'm the opposite. I stared on cars then moved to Celestial Mechanics (spaceflight science). If the HG fails on an Apollo CSM then I'm your man!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mines got to go in on the 13th April to have the front crank shaft oil seal done, so I will have the timing belt done also, another £240 up the swanny but I was going to get the belt done next year anyway so I suppose I've saved a bit in all reality. Not a bad price though all in I suppose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my Peugeot 307 1.4 8v is leaking oil at the timing belt and is a little gunky on the water cap. Got told it's a leak from my crank shaft and also said could be leading to a blown head gasket? Any advice cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts