Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have bought a peugeot 2003 307 2.0 petrol xsi, I bought it very cheap from a friend as a project. The issues started a couple months ago when he drove it to work in the morning absolutely fine, and with no previous issues starting up. Then after his 9 hour shift he tried to start the car and it wouldn't fire up, it turned over nice and strong, however it didnt start up and hasn't since. I have a reasonable understanding of electrical and mechanical principles and I have carried out various checks.

I have the troubleshooting process of checking...
Fuel
Air
Timing
Spark

Since I've had the car I've checked...

Fuel pump (I drained pressure from the fuel rail using the small valve, and turned on the ignition and pressed the valve in and there was plenty of fuel pressure)

Air filter and air supply capabilities (checked air filter and blockages in the air supply pipes, and everything was quite clean)

Fuses(all fuses were taken out and observed to be healthy and working)

Battery level ( I have charged up the battery fo 12.8V)

My friend did have the RAC out to diagnose the car and the mechanic came to a conclusion stating that there was a communication error between the ECU and the coil pack. And he was advised by the mechanic that it would require a garage visit. And I just cant see it being necessary to take it to a garage. I like the idea of being able to fix it myself and gain some knowledge doing it as this is my first car at 18yrs old

And another thing, after several attempts to start the car, It is displaying 'Ecomony Mode Active' on the central display, I'm guessing this is a result of draining the battery too far while attempting to start it. However, after charging the battery, the economy mode is still activated and displays it on the display when the ignition is turned on, which I find unusual since the economy mode kicks in when the battery drops below a critical voltage and is now above that voltage at 12.8V (I would like advice and ideas on what this means in more detail and why it's still there)

In conclusion I'm after advice or tips on what things I could check, and possible causes and solutions to this issue.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
And another thing, after several attempts to start the car, It is displaying 'Ecomony Mode Active' on the central display, I'm guessing this is a result of draining the battery too far while attempting to start it. However, after charging the battery, the economy mode is still activated and displays it on the display when the ignition is turned on, which I find unusual since the economy mode kicks in when the battery drops below a critical voltage and is now above that voltage at 12.8V (I would like advice and ideas on what this means in more detail and why it's still there)

Economy mode won't go until the engine starts. This is normal.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Economy mode won't go until the engine starts. This is normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In-fact, my friend did get 2 key fob replacement kits, which he did himself. However he said he only changed the covers for them and just swapped the chips over into them, I have tried both keys and they both have no difference to how the car behaves....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In-fact, my friend did get 2 key fob replacement kits, which he did himself. However he said he only changed the covers for them and just swapped the chips over into them, I have tried both keys and they both have no difference to how the car behaves....
Furthermore, he carried out this new key cover swap weeks before the breakdown occurred, and it DOES beep in the ignition when the ignition is turned off with the key left in the barrel

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh right, great thanks... just to clarify, the economy mode does NOT prevent the car from starting?
It doesn't.

Also, those DTC descriptions are generic. You need the peugeot specific ones. Try the beep test though to begin with (documented elsewhere).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts