Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Apologies for having to start a thread, but come to end of things to try.

At first thought would be just another easy ABS fault fix. Gibbo's planet told me it was the front passenger side and i got to work cleaning the rust out and hoping that would fix it. Sadly, it did not. After cleaning again and failing I decided to just replace the sensor, wasn't much and would tell me easily if it was a nastier problem. New sensor, didn't improve. Checked all the fuse's and read nearly every thread I could for an insight.

So yesterday Gibbo again hooked it up to have a deeper look. Still the front passenger sensor but upon further inspection, it showed the front left wheel sensor was reading 655 K.P.H, not bad for a car standing still.

Today, had the bumper off to check the wiring. Wires to the sensor are 100% sound. Had plug off the abs connector and cleaning the mess out making sure all was clean, still ABS fault.

Starting to think it may be the pump itself, or at least where the plug goes into the pump. This is the same side that didn't (until i fitted one 7 days after getting the car) have a wheel arch cover. I'm thinking with the amount of dirt that has got in, this has damaged the pump somehow. Any thoughts are appreciated as the only option left is the AA repair cover I have, which costs me first £30 but they cover rest of repair at one of their garages.

Thanks

PP.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hello,

Apologies for having to start a thread, but come to end of things to try.

At first thought would be just another easy ABS fault fix. Gibbo's planet told me it was the front passenger side and i got to work cleaning the rust out and hoping that would fix it. Sadly, it did not. After cleaning again and failing I decided to just replace the sensor, wasn't much and would tell me easily if it was a nastier problem. New sensor, didn't improve. Checked all the fuse's and read nearly every thread I could for an insight.

So yesterday Gibbo again hooked it up to have a deeper look. Still the front passenger sensor but upon further inspection, it showed the front left wheel sensor was reading 655 K.P.H, not bad for a car standing still.

Today, had the bumper off to check the wiring. Wires to the sensor are 100% sound. Had plug off the abs connector and cleaning the mess out making sure all was clean, still ABS fault.

Starting to think it may be the pump itself, or at least where the plug goes into the pump. This is the same side that didn't (until i fitted one 7 days after getting the car) have a wheel arch cover. I'm thinking with the amount of dirt that has got in, this has damaged the pump somehow. Any thoughts are appreciated as the only option left is the AA repair cover I have, which costs me first £30 but they cover rest of repair at one of their garages.

Thanks

PP.
Now from a similar headache I had, this is a wild shot but it was an issue for me in my experience.

When you replaced the sensor, ensure it is a genuine one from the dealer. The replicas or OEM sensors do not always work with the ECU. I bought a brand new one for someone wanting me to look at their 307 ABS issue and it didnt work with the same issues reported on planet.

Upon getting a genuine one through the dealer network it worked first time.

If of course it was already a genuine sensor, ignore my post.

Good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
You say you've checked the wiring...are you sure that the connection plug in the wheel arch where the sensor attaches to the loom is definitely making a solid connection?
The reason I ask is that my car also had the wheel arch cover missing and the connector on mine was so corroded it had basically disintegrated. Even if yours is not that bad perhaps it is corroded enough to not make a proper connection to the sensor?

Having no replacement plug I simply chopped the plugs off and hardwired the sensor in which fixed it for me. The 655kph reading sounds like the same as mine which I think is the default if you unplug the sensor (or if connection is bad).

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now from a similar headache I had, this is a wild shot but it was an issue for me in my experience.

When you replaced the sensor, ensure it is a genuine one from the dealer. The replicas or OEM sensors do not always work with the ECU. I bought a brand new one for someone wanting me to look at their 307 ABS issue and it didnt work with the same issues reported on planet.

Upon getting a genuine one through the dealer network it worked first time.

If of course it was already a genuine sensor, ignore my post.

Good luck!
Got it from euro, i'll nip in peugeot tomorrow and order a genuine one.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say you've checked the wiring...are you sure that the connection plug in the wheel arch where the sensor attaches to the loom is definitely making a solid connection?
The reason I ask is that my car also had the wheel arch cover missing and the connector on mine was so corroded it had basically disintegrated. Even if yours is not that bad perhaps it is corroded enough to not make a proper connection to the sensor?

Having no replacement plug I simply chopped the plugs off and hardwired the sensor in which fixed it for me. The 655kph reading sounds like the same as mine which I think is the default if you unplug the sensor (or if connection is bad).
Meter did give me a good reading, however well worth a shot, will give it a try once i've replace exhaust.

·
11,731 Posts
A test we do on wires is to put 5v 1A, then measure the voltage and current at the other end, after calculating for cable length and resistance, and see what the difference is.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had some time to do a little more today.

With the original abs sensor and the aftermarket one, I put meter onto the sensor to check resistance, then turned wheel to see if any change in the reading. There wasn't. I then checked the voltage coming from the abs pump to the plug, wasn't one.

Now I know the wiring is connected between where the connector plugs into the abs pump and where it plugs into the sensor. Should I get a voltage reading at least?

Not sure where to go next, could try replacing the sensor ring or going to scrap yard to try another pump, but...got that AA repair cover where they supposedly will fix the fault in one of their approved garages. So that's sounding tempting. Shall see. Will sleep on it and see what comes to mind tomorrow.

·
Registered
171 Posts
trem1 posted a link here to a webpage that may help if you've not already seen it.

According to that webpage you should get a variation in the resistance across the sensors contacts when you spin the wheel. As for the voltage, did you make sure the ignition was turned on (and not subsequently entered economy mode).

If you suspect the ABS pump if I were in your shoes I think I would get the AA cover to sort it if the excess is small.

Good luck

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes to both matey. Gibbo passed me that link earlier which lead me to what I did tonight. Going to read over wiring diagrams in morning to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a thought here a friend of mine who runs a gargae 4 doors down to my Bodyshop has had a similar problem with a 307 and it turned out to be the ABS pump having an internal fault....chnaged it and hey presto all is sweet in the gdn so to speak.His was allways showing an ABS fault on hte rear wheel ......food for thought

Dave

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chop the wire at the ABS sensor plug.

The grey plug in this picture:

And then wire the wires directly and see what happens.
Aye this has been suggested and I tried that last night no change. I also check the connector after it was chopped and it worked fine.

Going to check the plug that goes into the abs pump, make sure thats not any crap in their. I had cleaned it all out sunday but not convinced.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Aye this has been suggested and I tried that last night no change. I also check the connector after it was chopped and it worked fine.

Going to check the plug that goes into the abs pump, make sure thats not any crap in their. I had cleaned it all out sunday but not convinced.
Did you switch wires? I got mine wrong the first time and the light stayed on. I switched wires and then it went out.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you switch wires? I got mine wrong the first time and the light stayed on. I switched wires and then it went out.
Yeah remember you saying so switched to make sure I hadn't got wrong way

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, got to bottom of the problem. Took apart the black plug that goes into the abs pump, about 1cm away from where cable goes inside to the pin, saw the break in the wire. So cut if off, added new bit of wire and problem solved. Using the original sensor so glad that wasn't the issue. Very happy now and deffo something to check in future if i have the issue again.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
the wire colors in the sensor are black/white

the wires to connector harness are red with stripe and blue with stripe

but if connecting direct which wires from abs goes with the harness wires

1 - 17 of 17 Posts