Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car gives airbag fault and two lights on the dash are turned on. I have tried to deceive airbag ecu by using resistors but it did not work then I realized that there are orange wires on the pretensioners's reel unconnected and cut. Could it be the source of the airbag problem and why might they cut those wires and leave unconnected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will try to connect a resistor to see whether it is the source of the problem but I am not sure what resistance it should be?

·
Registered
158 Posts
It definately can be the cause of your airbag problem. I had the airbag light on for some time, and it was caused by the drivers seat belt. I replaced it and it was fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Was the light on when you bought the car or is it a recent thing?

Sounds like it's had a bump, the seatbelt pretensioners have fired so they've replaced the seatbelts and struggled to get the light off

You CANNOT however get the light to go off after this by replacing parts or using diagnostics, crash codes are stored forever on the ECU

You'd have to replace the airbag ECU (down near the handbrake) or some companies claim to be able to remove the codes, i've never tried

Source: i had a 307 CAT D with fired seatbelts, replaced these but had the airbag light on for years..... until it became an MOT fail and i found an identical ECU in a scrapyard :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was light on when I bought it and It is likely to have an accident and what you say is probably true for my car because they seemed to have done everything that they can to turn the lights off but they could not, but interestingly airbags are not opened and they seem ok.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My airbags were all fine as well, just the seatbelts had fired, pissed me off no end cos we'd finished the crash repairs, i'd taxed/insured it and only found out the seatbelts were stuck as i went to take it for an MOT!

In my opinion you need to get the seatbelts reconnected (battery off first of course!) and find an ECU with the exact same part number as your own, i'm sure the orange seatbelt wires have a connector lower down so maybe pick up spares from a scrappy?

Luckily 307's are all over the scrapyards now :lol:

Disclaimer: obviously i did this to my own car at my own risk, same applies to you! I can only advise what i did, not guarantee it'll work! :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My seatbelts are connected and they work(I do not know whether they work in a way they are supposed to), but their electrical connections are cut and although I did not observe it in detail there are just one thick orange wire coming to seatbelts reel, but I am not sure I will look at it carefully because it has supposed to have two wires as wiring diagram shows

·
Registered
158 Posts
I must have been lucky, I just replaced the seat belt and the airbag light went out. I put a 2.2ohm resister across the seat belt connector (AS A TEMPORARY MEASURE) before replacing the seat belt, and that also put the light out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car's BSI seems to be the primary source of the error, I have it diagnosed and the mechanic said that I have to change BSI

·
Registered
165 Posts
i highly doubt that's the cause at all, what was their reasoning behind this?

I'd still suggest picking up a donor airbag ECU for a tenner or so first, changing BSI isn't as easy as just putting a new one in place!

Few on ebay for £15, match the part number and away you go! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You definitely need a new mechanic! Airbag system is controlled by the airbag ecu and the wiring, not the bsi. Typical of every mechanical idiot out there, blame the bsi when they are clueless.
Your ecu has probably been triggered by an accident or faulty wiring and will need to be replaced if it has. Also, you will need to reinstate the wiring and all airbag mechanisms which are faulty/missing before you will get the system to reset.

·
5,669 Posts
As above the mechanic is talk out his rear. The only connection between Airbag system and BSI is a CAN data line, the airbag wiring is a separate system from the cars normal electrical system for safety.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts