Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm still hunting on a 307 2.0 HDI XSI which was made 54 plate onwards.
It would seem the pre-facelift models are about £1000-1500 cheaper on Autotrader, presumably it's more of a case the face lift cars command a premium.

However I'm trying to justify spending extra on what as far as I can tell amounts to very little changes. A new look, different climate control and... ?

The only other element that concerns me is the Parkers.co.uk reviews mentions the facelift models have a new wiring loom which fixed the electrical problems. I've google searched on this for more information and cannot really find anything on it.
Can anyone expand upon this subject or point me in the right direction. Did they get a new loom, and is the old one that much of a problem?

The way I see it it's well pocketing £1k odd if it just means a slightly older looks but otherwise the same car.

Cheers all

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
ive not seen much of a difference...from posts on here.

i myself had a 2001 1.6 petrol 307 rapier. no major issues apart from when i wrote it off...nah seriously the re-occuring electrical was the abs sensors but that occurs right through the peugeot range.

from 2003 onwards you could add options like cruise control for very cheap (not through dealer)

tbh i know where you stand but other than looks and trim, electrically they are very similar...

maybe another user can post up more info or you could ring the dealer, speak to the fossil (boss mech) and ask him his opinion.

S

·
0 Posts
As with any cars, there are good ones and bad ones

You could get a facelift with crap electrics, and a 2001 that is sweet as a nut!

Just look for well maintained and looked after!

I've never really heard of much difference electrically, maybe the facelift ones are a bit more resilient to jump starts.... who knows!! (fyi if you get a pre facelift, dont jump start it!!)

Facelift models also went to a full CAN system, so its a bit more tricky to add aftermarket head units etc without extra adapters etc!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Aha I see, so there really isn't that much difference. One other change I notice is on the 307 pre facelift the XSI doesn't have front foglights, but the considering how small the facelift foglights are, I cannot imagine they do much!

I'd still be interested to read about any other differences people know about. I always like to research new purchases to death before buying. Where would people like me be without the internet? :)

Cheers all

Update: Also guys, one other question. Which was the top model of 307 in 2.0 HDI form, is it 'Sport' or 'XSI' ? :)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Aha I see, so there really isn't that much difference. One other change I notice is on the 307 pre facelift the XSI doesn't have front foglights, but the considering how small the facelift foglights are, I cannot imagine they do much!
yeah i think i have seen these, and "little kids" seem to want them on during a clear night or evening...i just think why?!? i have front foggys on my focus, about 4" in diameter...never really used them and i work in the yorkshire moors where the weather changes every 15 mins!

I'd still be interested to read about any other differences people know about. I always like to research new purchases to death before buying. Where would people like me be without the internet? :)
maybe getting ripped off by a fat salesman who has put sawdust in the gearbox :p :lol:

as stubbo says though, you get your peaches and lemons...make sure the one you find isnt a lemon...pay a little more to get the car fully checked by the AA or similar. make sure it has full history...especially on the FAP/DPF models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sound advice :)

I have turned up one tid bit of information regarding the electrics from another forum post.

...will be a Siemens Electronic System which is where the problems are. Anything after September 2004 on a '54 plate were all on the Bosch System...with the occasional Siemens unit when Bosch wasn't available

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right, but that same engine was also fitted to the last of the pre-facelift models from MY2004 onwards. Anything before that had the older 8v 90/110bhp HDI's

S

·
0 Posts
I have the siemens system in mine and so far its put up with all the tinkering and rewiring i've done to it without issue :thumb:

Not all pre facelifts are siemens though!!

Siemens systems are harder to get remapped though if you are thinking of going down that road!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a way of visually identifying the siemens or bosch systems when I go and look at cars?

AFAIK they were all Bosch from 2005 as the switchover was 54 plate from what I've read, but I'd certainly like to know for sure when going car hunting :)

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts

Cheers all

Update: Also guys, one other question. Which was the top model of 307 in 2.0 HDI form, is it 'Sport' or 'XSI' ? :)
The fogs aren't too bad actually, but in the previous model did have fogs, they're just built into the headlight unit.

Top model out of those is the XSI. Although you can get a GT (rare) which is actually higher again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts