Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have been using this 307 for about 5 months and day before yesterday the power steering failed. It sometimes work and sometimes doesn't. As you start the car in the morning it feels alright and after about a minute it shudders. As in as you turn either way , Turn+Block+Turn+Block .. The motor seems working but something is blocking and opening.

I changed the alternator about 2 weeks ago... Modified the original wiring because the wires were sort of burnt. Also when the lights are on, When i try to turn the lights Dim a little.

Is this a pump replacement or an electrical fault? I live in Sri Lanka and it will be very very difficult to find a pump.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alternator is working just fine... I topped the fluid and still the same thing. It is working but its like POWER+NOPOWER+POWER+NOPOWER

Is it something to do with the power steering rack?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is it whining a lot? Did you turn the steering with engine off i know it'll be stiff but still smooth but if the lights dim when the pump is working that's not good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it whining a lot? Did you turn the steering with engine off i know it'll be stiff but still smooth but if the lights dim when the pump is working that's not good.
if i turn when the engine is off it is obviously stiff but smooth. When the engine is on i can hear noises from the motor trying to steer. If the pump is dead it will steer like when the engine is off right? It tries to steer but its like something is blocking and releasing.

What seems to be the problem?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not necessarily it may have bits in it and pumps a bit, i just replace the mechanical power steering pump it looked like new and had no apparent wear on it, the replacement 1 was dirty and looked worse but when i fitted it i couldn't believe the difference and how quiet and smooth it is now.

I don't know if there is serviceable parts on the electric power steering pumps or whether you can keep the motor and get the pump part for it? I don't know if they need coding to the car?
The fluid may be full of water etc but the best way is to maybe swap the pump to find out if that works if possible.

The belt isn't slipping?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts