Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
On our 307 1.6 petrol 2004 the battery was flat and I charged it last night - but when I had it ticking over I noticed a loud fast ticking sound coming from just behind the drivers side front wing?

It sounded like the indicators were on very fast but they were not.

Does anyone have any idea's what this could be?

It did stop when I turned off the engine and when I restarted it didn't restart at first....then it started again.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Could be a relay, we're your lights on or something else that would give a warning in the cab? It would sound like a ticking noise under the bonnett

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fast ticking sound...

I have found this comment on another forum....Does this sound correct?

This ticking noise is caused by the purge valve of the fuel evaporative emission control system. The system has a charcoal canister that collects fuel fumes from the tank and holds them. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the ECU feeds the vapour from the canister into the inlet tract to be burned. The canister and purge valve are located behind the wheel arch liner inside the front offside wing. My 307 1.6 has the same setup. Bit of an annoying noise but much less annoying when you know why it is happening

As I think it sounds like a relay...but its from behind the drivers wing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fast ticking....

Also the car wouldnt start this morning either, so that 2 days on the bounce where the battery seems almost dead, I charged it last night and it started first time once done.

I'm unsure if this "fault" is draining the battery or the battery is also come to the end of its life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI I think I have exactly the same ticking on my 52 1.4 rapier. Does it go if you move the car a few feet either way, then come back next time?
If you find out what it is for sure can you message me please its annoying me too, I've even had some of the right dash off looking for it..:(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi, its not a problem, they all do it aparently - see my copy and paste re purge valve.
I had a mechanic also confirm this on the MOT. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts