Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first thread iv decided to post one of my own experiences thats recently happened regarding my Pugs front left indicator.

The Problem - After recently purchasing my 307 the inside left indicator flasher decided to go double speed which obviously left me confused as it was only the left indicator. Eventually i found out that my front left indicator stopped working when this happened. After a little research i found out it to have been the bulb holder itself where the prongs that make the connection with the circuit in the headlight were worn and beyond repair.

The quick fix solution - I went to my local Pug dealership where i purchased two new bulb holders for about £3 each. I then attempted to fit them but with no avail. This is where the dealership took a look and told me all of my headlight had burned out and quoted me £240 for the fix. This is when i took it to my local garage with a few twists of the bulb got it working again. So this left me with a working indicator again :).
But that was only the quick fix haha, Eventually the problem persisted and everytime it was just a pop of the bonnet and twist of the bulb holder for it to work again.

But this didnt last as last week the connections inside the headlight itself decided to break off, and my local garage quote me £45 for a quick fix job which i found pretty expensive.

The Final Fix - After a little digging around on the net and looking under the bonent i started to attempt the job myself.
I will be posting pictures soon but i have to wait till we get some good light and im not at work ><.
But all this process im going to explain will take around 15 - 20 min from start to finish, But this is at your own risk im only giving you advice how i did this.

To start off with I removed the rubber from the holder, then snapped the prong's on the bulb holder itself.

I then used a drill to drill two little holes into the top of the holder to allow two wires to exit through the top.

I then used some wire about a pencil and half in length which I advise, and ran it through the holders new holes. I then attached them to the metal where the pronges used to be. But while doing this you must ensure that its left flush otherwise you will have trouble putting them back into your headlight socket.

To ensure my indicator remained water tight i used a glue gun to keep the wires in place at the top of the holder, I then put the rubber seal back onto the holder to ensure I didn't get any unwanted water in my headlights.

I then went out to the pug and popped the hood. I then unplugged the main power leading into the headlight and cut wire pin 5 and the ground wire directly next to it.
I then stripped the indicator power and ground wire and attached one wire to each of the newly attached wires. I then cleaned it up a little with electrical tape etc and my indicator was as good as new :).

This little fix only took me around 15 min from start to finish and not had a problem since. So for any of you out there with a problem indicator and experiencing the same problems I suffered this may be worth a shot.

[img=http://s4.postimage.org/k2i8b2wjt/photo_1.jpg]

Ill post more pictures when I can :)

Thanks Dan Any questions feel free to ask :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for the tip. I had a similar problem as in the nearside indicator stopped working despite replacing the bulb and bulb holder. I did as you advised and hey presto working indicators :) The only tricky part was splicing into the earth lead (pin 9 i believe) with a snap on crimping connector as there is next to no wriggle room with the wiring loom.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had a similar problem and fixed it by cleaning the holder contacts a rebuilding the surface by using a hardish solder. I think the issue is the contact surfaces corrode, but it's been over a year since I did them and I've had no problems since:thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
This worked a treat for me on my 05 plate 307.
For information, according to the manual, on mine the wiring connections for the indicator to the headlight were:-
Pin 3 (Green & Yellow) is the earth. Note: it also feeds the Side Light and Dipped Beam. There is also earth on pin 4 (Main Beam & Fog Light) and earth on pin 9 (Levelling Motor).
Pin 5 (Brown and white) provides the battery supply from the flasher unit.

So I decided to leave the harness wiring intact and just splice my new feeds into the wiring to Pin 3 and Pin 5 without actually cutting them. As Mansell NOOB said it is important to cut the outside prongs off the bulb holder and make sure that the soldered connections are kept very low profile. This ensures the holder will fit back in and also that it doesn't make any contact with the original internal connections inside the headlight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts