Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi in advance thanks for any help I am new on this site so would appreciate any help you can give as am scratching my head now...
vehicle 307 HDI
driving along just cut out plugged solus pro in error code p1138 pressure regulator.
live data on cranking fuel rail pressure fluctuation between 35 and 47 ish bar I know around 290 needed for starting, sniff of easy start and it starts but cuts out soon as you stop giving a sniff.
pump in tank is working fine also as it should
leak off test done 1st all injectors good changed pressure reg on rear of pump still same then changed pump still the same. changed fuel rail pressure sensor still the same. so I thought has to be wiring this is my downfall so 1st I checked 3rd piston cut of solenoid on pump 2 plug connector 1 live approx. 3.5v other earth is that correct?... next pressure regulator plug same 2 wire plug 1 wire aprox 6.5v other 3.5v is that correct as I would of thought 1 of these would be live nd 1 earth that's as far as I have got please help many thanks:)

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hi in advance thanks for any help I am new on this site so would appreciate any help you can give as am scratching my head now...
vehicle 307 HDI
driving along just cut out plugged solus pro in error code p1138 pressure regulator.
live data on cranking fuel rail pressure fluctuation between 35 and 47 ish bar I know around 290 needed for starting, sniff of easy start and it starts but cuts out soon as you stop giving a sniff.
pump in tank is working fine also as it should
leak off test done 1st all injectors good changed pressure reg on rear of pump still same then changed pump still the same. changed fuel rail pressure sensor still the same. so I thought has to be wiring this is my downfall so 1st I checked 3rd piston cut of solenoid on pump 2 plug connector 1 live approx. 3.5v other earth is that correct?... next pressure regulator plug same 2 wire plug 1 wire aprox 6.5v other 3.5v is that correct as I would of thought 1 of these would be live nd 1 earth that's as far as I have got please help many thanks:)
fuel pressure sensor or wiring to sensor on the common rail its a red connector pug usually keep it in stock because its a common part to sell so must be common to go

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks trustme the code coming up is regulator not sensor my problem is I think i have 2 lives going to the pressure regulator on rear of pump its a bosch unit that's what I need too know should these both be live as I would of thought 1 live 1 earth.. got 1 6.5v and other 3.5v approx. anyone tell me if that's correct as if I should have a earth I can start splitting wiring loom down thanks for help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well gibbo thanks for the input, guess I need to do something else to get some help I can help other people to I live in somerset I work for roadside assistance company I have a vast knowledge on cars but even we sometimes get stuck all I am asking is for a bit of help to try sort my car tell me what it is you require me to do and its done.. then perhaps you may be able to help me many thanks

·
5,011 Posts
Ritchie all Gibbo was asking was for you to introduce yourself, we get loads of people joining and asking for help then bog off as soon as they get it not even bothering to come back and 'say its sorted thanks' all we are trying to do is keep a good flow of knoweledge. basically type what you just put but post it in the introduction section :thumb:

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
35 -47 BAR pressure is definitely what you get with the regulator unplugged

There is no positive and negative at the reg it is controlled by the ecu so has a feed from ecu and return to ecu no earth

Wiring joints in the engine loom are my best guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for help I will post in introductory section
also thanks for advice about wiring plug I know I have to go down that route now appreciated will update you when I have looked will prob be weekend now:thumb:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rich, you need about 120 Bar at the rail sensor for the injectors to fire, 300 Bar is idle fuel pressure.

Fuel pressure regulator faults are VERY common on the HDI engines. Normally my advice would be to clean the FPR with a solvent and blast it out with compressed air.

However as you say you've changed the pump and the FPR I would try a new ECU. You can get de-immobilised ECUs cheap from ebay, this removes complexities of immobiliser problems and will help determine if the ECU is causing your problem.

You won't see a constant voltage at the FPR, you need a scope as its a pulse width modulated wave (PWM). Bascially the voltage stays the same but the frequency changes. My wiring diagram here looks like it should be 12-14v as it's on the main circuit, and it should have a Live and a negative. The negative end at the ECU is what is switched on and off to make the pulses. Is there a voltage between the negative terminal of the battery and BOTH of the wires or just the +12v?

http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/images/edc15c2pinout.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks HDI all I can say is both wires are live 1 is 6.5v and other 3.5v not sure if that's meant to be as I say wiring isn't my forte can you tell me is their an ecu on e bay at present as not 100% sure what to get should I be checking loom 1st

·
Registered
241 Posts
What is the Bosch number on the back of your ECU? For example the 307 HDI comes with 0281010779 or 0281011081 etc. If this number matches and the immobiliser is removed it will be plug and play.

It's worth tracing the wire back to the ECU to check it's not shorting on anything else. I've not got a pinout diagram for the three plug ECU that you will have fitted so the numbers on that diagram will be wrong, the wiring logic will be the same though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi HDI thnks for the help appreciated number on ecu is 0281010747 it has 1 long plug just removed it to get numbers too dark now to check wiring as only just finished work am hoping to check tomorrow thou as off will the 2 wires from FPR run directly too ecu many thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi HDI just a thought also some time ago the fuse box in engine bay played up think its called bm34 or something like that anyway it lost a feed to pump in tank I replaced fusebox and has been fine ever since I only just thought about it as I looked at your wiring diagram and it looks like that 1 of the wires goes to this box (LIVE)I think if so what voltage should this be and the other wire looks like it goes to ecu (EARTH) I think would I be correct in thinking this many thanks sorry to trouble you

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes that's right. One goes to what post people call the fuel pump relay, it controls a lot of things (Live) and the earth goes to the ECU. If you take the rubber covers off the ECU plug you can trace the wire back and then do a continuity check.

If you're getting voltage though it sounds like the wire is working and the ECU could be playing up. Change the FPR before fitting a new ECU incase it breaks the next ECU.

There aren't any ECUs on ebay with the right code currently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why would the (supposedly) earth wire have 3.5v thou from the back of the FPR surely if its earth from ecu it should be earth at the fuel pump reg???

·
Registered
241 Posts
Maybe the ECU is fried? Only reason I could think of. Can anybody else test to see what they are getting? I've never monitored voltage at the FPR as I've not had the need, but from the wiring digram it is clear that one is live and one is earth.

·
5,618 Posts
Sure Bosch use PWM/PCM to control fuel pressure reg same as the air valves. Therefore unless you look at pulse width with a scope you will not get any realistic voltages as your meter would just average out pulses to get a voltage reading.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your help all I sussed it it was a drop in voltage from the fuse box beside battery should of been 12volts but was only 6 volts put a temp feed into it now on the button traced wiring back to fuse box nothing wrong with that only 6 volts coming out something inside breaking down anyway running on a temp feed at moment until I get to a breakers but all is good THANKS

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good work! Glad you figured it out, also sounds like it didn't cost you anything either. Sometimes the simplest of things can cause massive problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts