Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I have no idea what I am talking about but I am going to try my best.
My Peugeot 307 hdi 1.4 Diesel has been running fine until a couple of days ago... I have had this problem last year and it has come back again and its worse this time. Last year it fixed itself and this year it hasn't and I have a feeling it won't. It has recently passed its MOT and had a service.

When I get off its very sluggish and slow in gear 1, gear 2 but then its fine in gear 3, gear 4 and gear 5 but as soon as it gets up to 50mph it does not go any faster even with my foot right down on the accelerator. As soon as I get to a slight incline in the road or a hill it goes down to about 20mph so I change into gear 3 or gear 2 and it goes down even more with my foot down on the accelerator too. It seems fine on flat roads and down hills but still does not go over 50mph and it runs smoothly its just loss of power.

I put Redex in my car yesterday to see if it was the diesel I put in, I always go to Shell as I don't trust supermarket petrol stations but it hasn't helped. I done this last year as it was supermarket diesel that made my car like this last year but Redex and Shell diesel solved the problem unlike it has this year.

My brother who knows quite a lot about cars thinks it maybe the Mass Air flow sensor and he will be swapping mine with a new one to see if it is that on Saturday.

Please help me!! I am going to be buying a new car in September/October time, and I can't afford to buy a new one now! :mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will try swapping the MAF Sensor with one that is fine and see if that is the problem if not I will contact someone with a Diagbox.
Do you know if the MAF Sensor could be the problem at all?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Try disconnecting the MAF and see if it revs properly. If so then its the MAF but do not drive about with it disconnected. Reconnect if you want to drive and replace with good one as soon as you can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what i'll be doing tomorrow hopefully or saturday. Thank you. Will let you know how it goes.. I noticed a burning smell coming from my bonnet when I got home from work today too...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello, I disconnected the MAF Sensor and it struggled to reach 3000 revs and peaked at 5000 revs and would not go any higher... It was doing the same revs when I reconnected it too.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
If it revs above 2800rpm then it is not in limp mode. So as first mentioned getting the car read is a must. preferably with pp2000 but a good all round reader will give you some idea of what might be the problem. I could not find anybody with the Peugeot system so I got my local private garage to read it on their reader a Snap On Solus.. These are expensive but at least communicates with the car. This year of the diesel (2004)is the first year they were fully integrated with the OBDII system. My car is a 2002 and my good quality but not professional reader does not communicate with my car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took my car to the mechanics at the college I work at and they tested it on the computer and apparently it was a EGR fault code. They also said when they put their foot down and revved it for a while it came up with an anti pollution fault.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I took my car to the mechanics at the college I work at and they tested it on the computer and apparently it was a EGR fault code. They also said when they put their foot down and revved it for a while it came up with an anti pollution fault.
a generic code reader does not always give accurate results

You need to get it on planet/diagbox to read the codes and have a look at live data have a good read of the link below it explains a lot of stuff like how to contact a member with the relevant equipment needed http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

some of the faults it could be
turbo or vacuum
maf
egr
collapsed cat
the list goes on

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
What trustme wrote is relevant but if you have no access to it then the least you can do is check the egr system. First you need to take the egr valve off and check for carbon deposits in both it and its pipe work back to where it joins the intake. Clean as required. If possible apply a vacuum to the valve and see if the valve moves freely ( try sucking air through a clean clear hose with a good tight fit on the valve. That is how I did mine.) My valve was clean but there was a build up of crud at the inlet side into the manifold. At least these checks will cost you nothing if you do them yourself but be careful that what you take off goes back exactly as you found it less the muck of course. At least it is a start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok that sounds good thank you, will get my brother to do this for me at the weekend. Is it any vaccuum like could I use one I clean my car with? And a water hose pipe?

Sorry for the questions, just want to make sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah no I know what you mean by hose, as in a tube that will fit round the valve right? Of the vaccuum? Also do I need to buy a special EGR cleaner?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been told to leave the EGR Valve in a bowl of oven cleaner for a few hours so it can eat all the carbon... Do you know if this is a good idea?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello, I cleaned the EGR Valve and put it all back on, but for some reason my car now won't start?... It is parked on a slight hill facing upwards though. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery?

If you've dismantled the EGR, the valve must be in the correct position - although if it isn't, it should still start.

Does the engine crank when you attempt to start?

Put the key in the ignition, attempt to start, then turn the key to the off position. LEAVE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION! Then open the drivers door. Does the car beep three times?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All sorted, the fuel wasn't getting to the fuel pump as I didn't tighten the fuel filter screw tight enough! I had to get AA to come and sort it out... They also said there must be an air leak in my fuel system and that I needed to get it to a garage asap to get it looked at otherwise my car won't start again but it has been starting fine? So not sure whether to go to the garage as I don't want them saying they've done something when they haven't just for the money... What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My pug has gone in to limp mode when I topped up fuel yesterday I changed maf sensor and egr the other day can't seem to find fault the code is p1160

1 - 20 of 27 Posts