Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Today I had some bad news. I was driving down the motor way at approx 60MPH when the engine cut out. I pulled over immediately and could not restart the car. Long story short, the AA picked me up & told me the CAM belt had gone.

** Engine turning over, no compression, likely damaged / knackered pistons and valves **

** CAR - PEUGEOT 307 AUTOMATIC APRIL 2002 - 1587 cc **

Question:

I am wondering if people think two amateurs can attempt to get the car going again?

Background:

My cousin and I have plenty of time and have always enjoyed a challenge. Granted, we have no car experience, but both work in engineering... We have access to a barn that has plenty of light/all the tools we could possibly need.

I have been watching videos online and reading some other forums and I think it seems do-able. Am I crazy?

If anyone has any interesting advice or comments I look froward to hearing them...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Extra Info

Just to add to above, I was planning on initially taking the head off and checking the extent of the damage before buying any replacement parts...

I have also thought about buying a a complete head from a car where the engine worked and fitting that... Is this possible / are there any complications with this approach?

I have also thought about replacing the whole engine. Again, any thoughts?

·
9,216 Posts
If its a petrol swap the head, if a diesel change the rockers and see what happens

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Just to confirm it is a petrol.

So you would say swap the head over trying to repair any damage?

·
Registered
296 Posts
You maybe able to source a complete engine just for the same price as a head

Your going to have to check your engine code ... might be oddball due to automatic

You have to rip it to bits to say repair or replace
Any cylinder damage / piston contact maybe not worth the risk

If you have the space ... and the tools .... why the hell not
give it a go

Head will be an easier swap
Engine change will get a bit messy ..... being an auto ...
plenty of catch buckets and tarp to keep work area and floor clean

You need to weigh up is it worth it ? or a trip over the bridge ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again for your feedback!

I have been talking to a few people at my work and think I am going to remove the head and check for damage. I have had mixed feedback about what to expect. A few people said that I could be lucky and have no damage (because I stopped quickly & another person said because the valves sit at 45degrees to the pistons its possible they didn't hit??). That being said most people have pointed out that it is a interference engine and its likely to be F*c*ked...

Once I know the full extent of the damage inside I will post back on here...

Do you know how I check my engine code / could you explain what that is exactly?

I suspect its probably not worth it as the car is old and not worth very much. However, it is a good opportunity to learn how the beast works & I doubt I can break it any more! I just like the idea of getting it going & potentially recouping some of the costs for my replacement...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you may need to share your chassis number
You need 10 posts before you can personally PM a forum member
Maybe someone will be in touch to ask and help

Unsure on Petrol models as think engine type in within chassis number
Engine spec code .... could be anything with an auto
Sorry but not a petrol head
I can only assume things could be different than a manual spec
and yours being old school 52 plate 2002 things before my time of 307's

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
It will not be a cheap fix as head gasket set, head bolts & timing belt kit themselves could be more than the car is worth. By all means have a go at both taking the head off and also removing the engine. It sounds like you have the place, tools and enthusiasm so with an engineering background go for it. Go on ebay and pick up a second hand Haynes manual for the car and at least you will have some sort of guide. Be methodical as you work and mark whats what as it is coming off as regards what holds it etc.
Good luck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was mucking about with PP and stumbled across engine specs

Seems a 1.6 petrol is a very common TU5 JP4 spec engine man / auto

think the easy solution is a donor / salvaged scrapyard engine

unsure about torque converter bit... that must be £20 in new oil alone

When my Mitsubishi blew up it was £1000 for gaskets before I even stripped the damaged engine

thankfully japan imports £300 delivered 25K and came with clutch and this black box that the stealer wanted £225 quid for anti knock sensor
Win win engine fitted started ran for a month got rid

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
I sell LOTS of these heads its a common issue you wont have any bottom end damage pistons will be fine as stated earlier just buy a good used head fit it new belt new water pump while your there and your good for another 80k miles MAX before you do the belt again.

You CAN buy a whole engine for not much more than a head but its really not worth changing it unless you think you need a clutch too as then it would be more viable to swap the lot.

With the correct tools head can be removed in 1 hour

·
Registered
296 Posts
Forum has provided the info you need ... no damage to block / pistons
a common fault and simple solution
So its a quick fix cylinder head replacement

Is it wise to renew the bolts ?
Good second hand head / gaskets / bolts / cambelt water pump ?
Maybe a cheap fix for 200 quid max ?

Suppose what banger can you buy for £200
Better the devil you know

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts