Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i am a newbie on here so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

To cut long story short i have a 2007 307 1.6 hdi 110bhp with 65k Miles on clock which has suffered recently from juddering in low revs especially noticable following other traffic in 3rd/4th gear under 2000rpm. On top of this i have also noticed the MPG has deteriorated.When scanned with PP2000 there were no faults found but the EGR data looked all over the place when compared to another 307 same spec runing without issue.

I disconnected the air flow meter and the juddering was gone. Apparrently the EGR stays closed when the air flow meter is not working..

I got an egr in a srcappy and installed it. Car drove ok but had lots of EGR faults when read. Removed it and performed actuator test and looked like was stuck closed. I took it back and got another one. I performed actuator test on EGR before installing and could see smooth operation of the valve, Installed and all seemed fine for about 300 miles, no juddering and MPG good. All faults cleared away.
I then noticed the MPG dropping off again so put it on the pp again which is throwing up the following 3 codes:
P0409
P0490
P1162
which are all egr related codes.
Looks like the EGR is staying closed all the time now but when i do actuator test with planet i can hear it operating.

I am wondering could it be that i need to take car in to Peugeot to have software upgraded or is it more likely that 2nd hand egr has failed already?
Can anyone think what else could be going on here?
The DPF additive pouch is half full so its not that.

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I have the 1.6hdi in a 407 which was giving me stuttering at the point of accelerating after coming of the throttle , when the car was turned off the EGR was closed so i unplugged the EGR , all stuttering stopped although there was lights and fault codes showing , so i reconnected my EGR cleared fault codes , turned off car , unplugged EGR again and got a mate to remap fault codes out , have had no problems since , this cured my problem maybe not yours but food for thought :thumb:
EGR is not used round town only really when out of town and higher speeds , i could drive 1 or 2 mile every few minutes and have no bother but when i drove for 20 minutes outa town thats when i got stuttering :nod:

·
Registered
176 Posts
What kind of driving are you doing?

Lots of short runs (10km max for example) 3 or less times per day/week

Regular long runs (100km plus with no stopping) at least once a week

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Betty

I wouldnt care about the fault codes as juddering is gone (have no engine management lights on) if it wasnt for the fuel consumption been down aswell. I am doing all motorway driving and MPG is down to around 40mpg :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hysteria,

Im doing mainly motorway driving. I have 150 mile round trip to work of which 90 miles of it is motorway and i set cruise control to 78mph. Averaging around 600 miles per week

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
My mpg stays around 41-42 but i do mainly short runs , i find a fill which is around £75 gets me on a bad couple of days 450miles but i usually average 500miles a tank just hitting the red , all outa town runs 60 milers and above i can get 600 miles to a tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was getting 600 to 650 per tank (driving from full to light on for 30/40 miles) im now down to 570 with no change in driving pattern or journeys. Tyre pressure correct serviced recently with all new filters too..
I wonder could it be the DPF/FAP filter clogging up as two of the codes are symtoms of that too just dont know why that would make my egr stay closed

·
Registered
176 Posts
It might be worth investing a little money and a few hours in cleaning out your EGR.

Even with a blocked filter I was getting 19km per litter.
On a straight road at 100km per hour my fuel consumption averaged 4.4 litters per 100km or almost 60 miles to the gallon (UK)

a screwed up fuel to air mix ratio will drink your tank dry.

Betty/David what do you think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hysteria,
Egr was only insalled 600 miles ago... I cleaned it before i installed it but didnt clean the egr heat exchanger or the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
My real problem with cleaning the EGR is all the pipe`s to it and leaving it are coked up so whats the point ,
secondly with mine closed my engine is running on clean air all the time now not burning dirty air,
i thought long and hard about this before doing it :nod:

S

·
0 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if mine is fully stuck or only partially

I'm going to give it a try and see how it behaves, if its still dodgy i'l go down the blanking route :)

Speaking of remapping fault codes out, can this be done for any fault codes do you think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

Yesterday i disconnected the EGR and drove it for about 40miles... There was no difference in performance or MPG.

I dissconnected the new (2nd hand) EGR and plugged back in the original and all faults cleared (without starting). Pluggedd back in the replacement one and again read faults and two of them were back instantly without starting the car.. The thrird one comes on after starting the engine.
So issue is either with the software not recognising the replacement or the replacement one is knackered.

Pluging out the EGR should have same effect as blanking except it gives you extra fault codes and the engine management light. It seems that a remap is the only solution to get rid of the fault codes as the presence of some of the codes seems to inhibit he readings from the air flow meter which i assume accounts for the MPG been crap. ( i cant remember which one, either 1162, 409 or P0490 but its from the fault code explanation on sedre/peugeot backup).

My only concern with blanking and remaping is MOT/NCT tests are suposed to change this year for diesel emmisions (NCT anyway)which i dont want to fail.
Other option is i can get a new EGR for 200 euro...

Martin do you know if its a big deal to remap or how i could go about it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

I dissconnected the new (2nd hand) EGR and plugged back in the original and all faults cleared (without starting). Pluggedd back in the replacement one and again read faults and two of them were back instantly without starting the car.. The thrird one comes on after starting the engine.
So issue is either with the software not recognising the replacement or the replacement one is knackered.

QUOTE]

Just been on to Dealer and they reckon based on above its not software and sounds like the electrical part on the EGR is bad (eg. water damaged)... 350Euro for a new one :eek:

Think i will go for the OE part for 200 euro....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well i put in a new EGR and all codes still there.. Took the car into PEugeot and they did a software download. Some of the errors cleared but i still have the P0405.
Took it back in again and left it with them they hooked it up to a Scope and checked all signals. They reckon that the EGR is getting a high signal from the ECU and they are 99% sure that the ECU is the problem.

Car drives ok, MPG back to normal, but has engine management light on the dash. My options are a new ECU costing 1000 Euro (not really an option) A 2nd hand one with coupled BSI which would probably be hard to get or just ignore it and sell it !

I wonder if a Remap would work?

Martin you mentioned remaping out fault codes in another thread, do you know how to go about this?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I got a new egr from ebay £94 delivered. Had no problems since. The old one had position sensor fault. The sensor is in the top of the body/ You need to tell the ecu its a new egr, remove the faults and you should have no more trouble.

D

·
0 Posts
Well i put in a new EGR and all codes still there.. Took the car into PEugeot and they did a software download. Some of the errors cleared but i still have the P0409 and now a P1459 aswell showing up.

Took it back in again and left it with them they hooked it up to a Scope and checked all signals. They reckon that the EGR is getting a high signal from the ECU and they are 99% sure that the ECU is the problem.

Car drives ok and has no erroros on the dash. Only noticable issue is the MPG not what it should be. My options are a new ECU costing 1000 Euro (not really an option) A 2nd hand one with coupled BSI which would probably be hard to get or just ignore it and sell it !

I wonder if a Remap would work?

Martin you mentioned remaping out fault codes in another thread, do you know how to go about this?
Did you do a learning procedure on it after fitting it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys i have had three diferent EGRS, original, 2nd hand and then new one. All were learned to it using PP200..

After this i brought it in to Peugeot main dealers.. All details are in start of thread

1 - 20 of 27 Posts